Ok, I'm not sure about this, I'll post it as I can remember and hopefully sum1 can confirm it so no1 else goes thru this.

I had a problem converting from USB to Ethernet on my Cable modem, just wanted to so that less CPU speed would be taken up becuz of USB.

I tried quite a lot of stuff.

I conceded and rang Ntl support!! ARGHHHHHHH

Newayz wen I finally got thru the person was quite helpful and explained the problem.

The cable modem, and the ethernet card (and presumably the USB port in some way or another) have what I think are unique MAC Addresses to identify them.

If the MAC address of the device used 2 take the data from the cable modem (eg Ethernet card) changes then the Cable modem will stop providing the data.

Apparently this is to stop people abusing the box at the end of ur street distributing the data or something.

If the Cable modem is turned off for four hours I think it was then the device's MAC address can change. So newayz just left the Cable modem plugged out over night and put it in ethernet next day, job done!!

Just saying this is the kind of thing that cud cause a lot of hassle if u dont no about it.

Can ne1 confirm this so I aint causin mor hassle than help?