Nothing is working!!

Thread: Nothing is working!!

Sam_41 said:

Default Nothing is working!!

Just bought a new PC off ebay and I am absolutley clueless as to wht its not working. When I power up the fan comes on but there is no beep at all. The monitor does not come on and there is no signal.

The mb is an AMD PC Chips 841 LMR DDR with onboard graphics card. I have checked that the RAM is installed properly and have moved the jumper with no luck. The thing is- the guy i bought it off seems fairly reputable and he says he had it working before sending it to me.
    Please help me out but I am afraid I know very little about computers- I have never even attempted building one thats why I bought it pre-built. Any help would be GREATLY appreciatted.

oh yeah- also I have searchd this forum for similar problems but have still not been able to sort it.
    Last edited by Sam_41; 21st August 2002 at 11:50 AM.

n0k1a said:

its easy to lie over ebay, you dont know who your dealing with,

it might have had a bumb in the courior van or something, or a wires fooked up or somethings come out of place,

did this guy have good feedback?

Violator said:

If the fan spins up but there are no beeps I'd guess first off that the mobo is faulty/dead. Or possibly the CPU although it should beep if it's that. See if the CPU warms up if the power is on for a few minutes.

Mr.James said:

Like the sig....

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the power.
    Processor, RAM, Hard Drive, Floppy, DVD, Video, Sound. Everything.

See if it beeps. Plug everything back in one item at a time. Checking the state every time you plug something back.
    Video, Processor, Ram, HDD, DVD, Sound, Floppy.

If it starts working and then stops when you plug something back in that item may be faulty. If it's a disk drive, DVD or hard drive it could just be that the cable is on the wrong way round.

urbsy said:

I had the exact same problem with a computer i built myself last week . The processor was knackered , this was due to me putting too much compound on the bloody thing and it got a bit warm . I took it back to the shop , and as there were no visible signs of burning , they changed it for me , and now it is fine .
    Might not be the cause but could be worth looking at .

Urbs

kjun said:

We sell pcs over ebay, if they havent taken steps to make sure things dont get dislodged in transit then there are quite a few things that could of come loose

A common one is for the cpu to come part way out of the socket, even though the fan is sitting securely
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sam_41 said:

ok thanks guys. his name is lo-costpcs and is fairly reputable. I am gonna try some of these ideas BUT I have never really even bee inside a pc apart from installing a nertwork card and RAM etc. Anything EASY that i could do?

Mr.James said:

It's all easy. Just like kids block toys where you have to put the correct shape in the correct hole.

Sam_41 said:

OK before I do anything I have just received an email from the company who insist that it is faulty RAM. They send they would send out some more immediatley. IS this right? How do they know this? They said somethin about the make of the RAM

Sam_41 said:

This seems a little strange to me. How could he possibly know it would be the RAM. I only said what I said on here- nothing more. I have got a feeling that when I receive it ( late next week) the problem will still be here.......

crazyadi said:

if it was down to the ram you would get a bleep, well a few bleeps, its either the processor ot the M/B, try reseating the processor, like the other chap said.

crazy

Sam_41 said:

ok cheers lads

5bellies said:

Originally posted by crazyadi
    if it was down to the ram you would get a bleep, well a few bleeps, its either the processor ot the M/B, try reseating the processor, like the other chap said.

crazy
    Not necessarily. Dodgy ram can work in unpredictable ways.

ed209 said:

without ram your pc will not start and you wont get nothing on the screen