Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default System Crashes During Burning Using Liteon 40125S

Hi

I have a Asus A7V Rev 1.02 with a Duron 950.

I am using the Promise IDE Controller with a IBM Deskstar HD & Liteon CDRW on the first channel and a Pioneer 104 & Samsung DVD Rom on the other.

The problem I get is inconsistent lockups, it has happened using both Nero and CDRWin. It usually occurs anywhere during writing, sometimes around 20% or sometimes 70%. When this happens I have no choice but to hit the reset button.

I don't know if this is a hardware fault or Software.

I thought it may have had something to do with my CPU temp as I often run around 50c. But I monitored the temps using the Asus Probe Software to see if it rose while burning but it didn't, so I guess its no that.

Any ideas would be very welcome, as at the moment I'm burning quite a few coasters

TIA

Chris
    Last edited by djc53320661; 21st August 2002 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Put the two DVD Drives on seperate channels you'll get a better data transfer rate between the two. It should also be a bit more stable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The question is... are you using a controller card or usign promise ide ports on a motherboard with a promise ide chipset? you know normally promise chipsets are used for additional ide ports or even raid ide controllers. Does that motherboard come with 2 IDE's made by promise?

I would recommend you putting a DVD rom onto the one with the hard drive and have a CD Writer and DVD on the same cable. Reason being is that when ur burning the chances are you are only going to be using one of the two burning drives so u aint clogging up the ide bus. So if your doing a DVD Rom to either DVD Burner or CD Writer its alright cos u can do 1:1 ok. Same with Hard drive to a burning drive. Its much better than having a DVD rom and a DVD writer or even CD Writer on the same cable cos then on the fly aint stable at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

EUPHORiA

Yeah its the Promise Chipset.

Strange thing is it doesn't happen all of the time and its not only when writing either, when reading a DVD it does it too.

I will try swapping around as it makes much more sense reading both of your posts.

Thanks

Chris

Thanks
    Karma Level

what about the auto insert notification, cant remember which way round it is but one or the other of the programmes requires it to be off and the other wants it on, i used to get crashes even if i wasnt writing, i could be sooooo wrong but im sure the two programmes in question cause a conflict and, nero i think, told me i had to remove the other burning software.......like i say it could be wrong it was a while ago and i dont use either of those programmes now anyway...

does your mouse flicker around the screen before it crashes?

try the AIN it cant hurt.

crazy

Thanks
    Karma Level

This use to happen with old CD Writing programs, i mean the new programs like nero, cdrwin, cdclone etc ALL disable auto notification when burning so it wont effect or stop burning. I am wondering if your drive has problems (the reader) reading the CD because i have had MANY CD-ROms, DVD ROMs which go ape shit with certain CD brands and will continue to spin fast then slow down. Its like they are really trying hard to read that CD and when u do stuff on ur computer (such as burning) your doing too much and it will just lock. I think you should get a new reader drive if that is the case.

Samsung DVD Rom - USELESS with most copied CDR's spins fast and slow. WILL crash the computer if you try and do other stuff while its trying to read a CD. (Its i noticed the cheapest DVD ROM drive going on the pricelist infront of it me

Thanks
    Karma Level

i stand corrected, but it was a while ago that i used the programs!!!!

crazy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still having the same probs as before, tried moving drives around and still the same.

Here is an updated post I put in another forum, which may make more sense than my original one:-

I have a Asus A7V Rev 1.02 with a Duron 950 and 256 PC133, running Win XP Pro.

I am using the ATA100/Promise IDE channels.

On the first channel:- IBM Deskstar GXP HD as master with a Samsung DVD Rom as slave.

On the 2nd channel:- Pioneer A104 DVDRW as master with a Liteon 40125S as slave.

The problem is that during burning with the Liteon I get system lockups/crashes, sometimes where the system totally locks (for example I can't move the mouse) and then other occasions the drive just stops burning when it clearly hasn't finished. I mainly have been using Nero but have also tried CDRWin with the same outcome. I would say the frequency of this is probably every 1 in 5 (a rough guess), so it doesn't happen all of the time.

I would say these problems have started after adding the Pioneer/Samsung drives to the setup as I can't recall this happening on such occasions.

I have also experienced lockups when using the DVDRom drive although I can't be sure its the same prob.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

as euphoria has allready mentioned it sounds like the samsung dvd reader is not up to scratch and is struggling to read the media
    i take it this happens you are burning on the fly
    try reading whatever you want to burn to the hard drive as an image and then burning the image and see if the lockup occours when your reading the image in it will verify if the readers duff

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope it does it burning off the HD, have not even tried on the fly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you tried upgrading your PSU? what wattage is it at the moment? It may not be sufficiently powerful enough (250-300w) to supply everything in your machine, then you will start slowing down and even lock up. You might wanna try stepping up to 350w. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, I thought about that too. I have a 300w AMD approved PS, so I don't think it could be that, but is there any way to test and rule out ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

To add some more brainstorming.
    How much memory do you have?
    How much free space do you have on the HDD, the one that for example NERO uses for caching?
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

I believe the Asus uses the VIA 4-in-1 drivers - might be worth putting on the latest version of the drivers as these will include the latest IDE drivers aswell..

PsxG
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to