Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Why doesn't my PS2 like TDKs?

I burnt the same image (Kalisto's rip of Blitz 20-03) twice, once on a TDK and once on a Verbatim. The Verbatim works fine, while the TDK has choppy movies. I tried twice more on another computer, once with Nero on a TDK, and once with CDRWin on a TDK, and both had the same problem with choppy movies.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks
    Karma Level

is the tdk oem? did you believe its a tdk because thats what advdinfo said? There are some princos around that are labeled tdk in advdinfo so they will burn at 2x. You may have some of these

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm actually talking about CDRs, not DVDRs. Sorry about leaving that out of my original post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

your laser is fucked, my ps2 doesnt even boot dvd rips anymore. i too have the same release, doesnt work at all. and i use tdks. as people have said many times, the laser is not well suited to dvd rips. dvdrips ruin it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Although TDK CD-Rs used to be top notch, they've recently dropped in quality somewhat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

bottomline, ps2 laser r picky about the media use.

It might work great on one machine but crap on another.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My ps2 loves black bottom tdks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My PS2 used to love tdk reflex ultras when they were 24x max.they had a blue bottom then. When they went to 32x, they changed to essentially a gold bottom and my ps2 hated them. I guess the machines get used to a certain type of media. I now use all types of traxdata and they work spot on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, so it's the colour my PS2 doesn't like. That makes sense because the Verbatim are blue and the TDK are gold.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i only burned to 3 gamez to the golden tdk cdr and all didnt run well. blue or black worx perfect for me, green or golden dont boot up first try or fmv scenes /sound stutter

Thanks
    Karma Level

am i the only who cant find these black bottomed tdks? ive been using compusa black bottomed ones since december and havent had any problems with them but i cant seem to find them around anymore (13.99 for 50)...i dont want to purchase the memorex black bottoms because i refuse to pay 25 bucks for 50 cdrs..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have TDK silver-bottom CDRs that were manufactured by CMC Magnetics, according the CDR Identifier. That bothered me because CMC sucks, but my USA V4 machine w/Neo4 plays them without a hitch anyway.

I'm hoping my newer premod system doesn't have any problems like this!

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL!

I got some Bulkpaq CDRs recently and found out they were made by "Moser Baer India"

They turned out to be shit and do not even boot up in the PS2 at any burning speed, even 1x!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by garvey100
    My PS2 used to love tdk reflex ultras when they were 24x max.they had a blue bottom then. When they went to 32x, they changed to essentially a gold bottom and my ps2 hated them. I guess the machines get used to a certain type of media. I now use all types of traxdata and they work spot on.
    you are absolutely right, i'm experiencing the same problem. Fuck TDK, go back to 24x style!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Gouk
    LOL!

I got some Bulkpaq CDRs recently and found out they were made by "Moser Baer India"

They turned out to be shit and do not even boot up in the PS2 at any burning speed, even 1x!
    geez, these cd's seem to work fine while burning at max speed... they might not be thesame, or you have a bad burner...

btw, there's a difference between blue (longer datasafety) and light-green/gold (shorter datasafety) surface... i'd recommend the second (like the new TDK's) for the PS2 and you can burn them at max speed if you have a very good burner like a plextor.

go check some CD-R boards if you want more (technical) info about the 2 types of cd's

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know the difference between the 2 colours. What I have found here though is a general trend that suggests that the 24x tdk blues work better in ps2.. The gold/green certainly dont work as well in my machine as blues.....i now use cheaper blue traxdatas and they are spot on.I also use a plexwriter so that cant the case.
    It seems to me as though as though certain ps2s prefer certain media. Its just a question of finding the right stuff.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I got my new premod system with Apple chip, it's a NTSC/U V4 date code 1C. It boots all my copies fine, including the silver-bottom TDK's. I use a TDK 40/12/48 burner (rebadged Lite-On drive) and burning at 16x for reliability. I was relieved to find out that I won't have to go back and re-burn a bunch of stuff!

You guys that had problems with these... what's your region/version/date code? Just wondering if there's a pattern.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the 1st model of ps2 released (pal) and I dont seem to have any probs with any type of media. I use unbranded crap cds most of the time and I burn at X24 Samsung burner (no probs at all)

Jacks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well the 24x TDK discs that you were talking about were made by Taiyo Yuden, which is top notch. If you want more of them, just buy some Fujis made in Japan, they're on sale for 2.99$ for a 50 spindle .

Some Memorex spindles use Taiyo Yuden, just make sure that it states made in japan on the box.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont use tdk media.use always verbatium cds,but only metal azo because super azo have the same problem like the tdk on you(and me to)