Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Any offshore operators on here?

Hi. I was just wondering if there any offshore operators on here. I'm currently an operator for a pharmaceutical company but I'm thinking about trying to get a job offshore. I know I'll need to have my offshore survival certificate but are there any other pointers anyone can give me?
    Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any offshore operators on here?

This sounds interesting,have you found out any more ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

My mate on here know as CallmeGoose works in the Merchant navy as a 3rd engineer i'll drop him a message to have a look at this post i am sure he could give you a few pointers

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you mean offshore as in oil platforms and stuff, you do a few days of getting dumped underwater in a fake helicopter to make sure you know what to do if they have to ditch.

You need a medical every year or two I think and the survival training lasts about twice as long, then is renewed by a half day course so you only do the couple of days once.

You can buy the training if you want to, plenty of companies sell it. This makes your CV look better as your employer won't have to buy you it. I do know plenty of people who have spent a load of cash then failed to secure a job though, so it's a risk.

It doesn't make much difference where you go to be honest, as you can stay for a month at a time if you go to a remote location or just two weeks if you have a shorter commute. Every region has different training so you need to choose in advance and do the right one. If you want to stay local, you'll most likely travel to Aberdeen via any form of transport you fancy (we have a couple of roads in the north now, and a tiny airport) and then hop onto the helicopter to the North Sea.

Salaries are good and it is reasonably safe, with safety improved massively lately. The platforms have amazingly good food too. I can only think of one helicopter that ditched with 100% survival rate in the last 5 years. Although, a very unlikely incident did occur last year where one broke (gearbox shattered) and fell out of the sky without doing a controlled ditch, which did result in deaths of all passengers and crew, which is a hazard of any sort of flying. Onboard the platforms you can't fart without a risk assessment so it's very safe.

If you work locally (North Sea) people tend to 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Your 2 weeks on will be 12 hours working/12 hours off constantly (so 14 shifts in a row) and then 2 weeks off you can do whatever you want. If you work further away you can often do 4weeks on/3 weeks off or some other similar pattern to avoid constantly flying to wherever the rig is. You can also take agency work, especially if you have very in-demand skills, which will just be a case of phoning you up and paying you thousands a day to spend any length of time offshore. I know a guy who is one of about 400 people in the world who can do a particular job and he is often called away for 6 months at a time, and is absolutely loaded when he comes back home.

I've never been offshore, this post is just based on knowledge of the industry and having lots of friends and colleagues who do it.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've done a couple of trips offshore - all less than a full trip, 3 days was my longest stint.
    You need BOSIET for North Sea work in British waters and Euro ( i think it's called) if you are going to work in Norwegian waters. BOSIET was 3 days, refreshed every 4 years. The medical is every 2 years and lasts about an hour - is pretty thorough and costs about 100 notes plus vat.

Don't believe all you hear about the food being amazing, it really depends on the platform you go to - some of the North Sea ones are pretty old, cramped and lacking in facilities.

A guy I worked with on one trip told me if you want to go on shiny new platforms you really need to go somewhere like Africa.

My biggest problem was boredom, but all the platforms I have been on (Only 3 ) have had internet and a gym and sauna.

I must admit I wouldn't want to do it myself on a permanent basis, but as a vendor I only get short trips.

The BOSIET training was really enjoyable, but nowhere near as involved as it used to be - it used to be 5 days and you were expected to step into a darkened pool with simulated wind and then get into your liferaft - covered basic 1st aid, fire fighting, offshore familiarisation and the best bit, HUET YouTube- huet Underwater escape trainer...nov 3rd 2008. and YouTube- HUET Underwater escape trainer...nov 3rd 2008.

That was the actual pool I did mine in.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks fellas. I want to go offshore as an operator but I'm relatively inexperienced (only 2.5 years) but I'll definately do my BOSIET and send my CV off to a few places.