Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

use card in two boxes ?

I have just bought a second-hand sky digital box (Panasonic DSB30).

What I would like to be able to do is this - subscribe to a Sky package, at some point buy a second box for upstairs (would have to split cable somehow, how ?), and then use the one sky digital viewing card in both boxes depending on what room i am in.

Is this possible ? I know I can pay an extra £12 to have the same package on both boxes with 2 viewing cards but I dont want to pay the extra when only one box will be viewed at one time.

This was the ONLY thing I liked about ITVDigital - the fact the cards could be swapped between boxes (oh and apart from ITV2 being FTA channel !)

Thanks
    Karma Level

i believe the cards are married to the boxes so u can`t inter change them ......and also u would need 2 lnb`s on 1 dish or 2 seperate dishes..........i think (i`m not a total expert on this)

but some1 will correct me if i`m wrong

chippy
    [live=z CHIPPY z]z CHIPPY z[/live]
    http://www.myspace.com/thecourteeners

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are only going to watch one box at a time, then why not just take a lead off the 2nd TV output and run it to the other room, get a TV Link and a second remote and you have the same thing, but for less money.

N

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason is this (my original post about only ever watching one tv was not totally accurate) :

There will be odd occassions when I want to watch Sky Sports 1 and my girlfriend wants to watch FTA channels on another box. But I want to have the freedom on deciding who watches it on which TV - sometimes I get the TV in the living room and sometimes my girlfiend does. To do this would mean swapping the cards. If not swapping the boxes but this is not ideal.

On the subject of adding a second box - how easy is it to replace the lnb on the minidish to one with 2 outputs and thus adding a second box ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its very easy to replace the LNb, simply a case of slide old one out, slide new one in.

The card swapping is another matter altogether though, you will not be able to watch the premium channels nor any of the BBC group of channels without a married card. The truly free to air channels on a digibox are pretty unexiting and not much better with a BBC free to view card, but that may be an option.

I think the simple answer is that you will probably not achieve what you require with what you are prepared to pay for.

N

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, about installing a second box - what do I need ?

1. A twin output lnb.
    2. Cable (CT100 or H109)
    3. Threaded 'F' plugs
    4. A second digibox (obviously)

Is that all ? Sorry if this is a stupid question but just want to be sure.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes that's about the size of it Tridion, some self amalgamating tape will also be required for sealing the F connectors on the LNB against water ingress.

N

PS. If you are going to subscribe to Sky, then you may as well take advantage of their cheap installation and free digibox offer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gave this some thought and you're right. So what I was thinking is :

1. Order sky package and get them to install it.
    2. When they come round they will see that a dish is already installed and that I have a box in the living room (with no subscription).
    3. I will tell them I want the new box installed in the kitchen.

However, will they insist (for some stupid contract reason) that they put up a second minidish or will they replace the lnb with a twin output model ?

Also, if I then wanted to have the subscription on the box in the living room (but without changing boxes), when I contact $ky to activate the card, can i get it activated on the old box and then later get a FTV card for the new one ? May sound stupid but I like my Panasonic DSB30 and have heard the free ones you get are not as good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have ever took up skys offer of the free/cheap dish and box etc then you cant do it a second time in the future . I got the offer approx 3 years ago and 2 months ago my box died . I thought id take up there free dish offer again and they said Id already used the offer in the past. They just swapped the box for me rather than them lose out on my subscription.
    Maybe you could pick up an old on digi box or a new FTA box for ya missus to watch.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, if you're going that route, the Sky installer is unlikely to have an unallocated Quad LNB on the van (they don't use the twins), so you may want to get one yourself, which I'm sure the installer will install for you as it'll certainly save him a bit of time.

I would be inclined to use the new box, which may be a Panasonic anyway for the subscription as it will be faster. Most of the new boxes are pretty reliable anyway and personally I don't believe there's much difference between them. If you get them to install it in the kitchen, make sure that there's a phone extension lead at hand to activate it, then you can always move it and swap the boxes around when they've gone.

N
    Last edited by rolfw; 25th August 2002 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So which should I get a quad lnb or twin ? (obviously I only need a twin but assume there must be a reason why the engineers only carry quads)

Also, is it true that I can order the full package online (£37/month) in order to get the £10 installation and then after one month change the package to a cheaper one ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

As the only reason that they normally use the multiple LNBs is for Sky+ installations, they AFAIK only carry the quad, bearing in mind that most people tend to keep their original box, so they need 3 outputs. There is only a small difference in price between the twin and the quad anyway, so you may as well go for the quad and future proof your installation.

Apparently, on your second point, the contract only insists that you retain the full package for one month, but I haven't looked at it so cannot really comment.

N

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for all the info.

My last problem is that I am not sure what make my minidish is and therefore what make of lnb I need. I havent got a ladder to get up there and check - all I know is that it has a perforated dish but this probably doesn't help much.

Are there any "safe bet" lnb's to go for which should fit it ?

Also, anywhere cheap to get one ? I was thinking of getting one of Ebay but most of them seem to be twin output (but I may just make do with a twin anyway).

Thanks
    Karma Level

to add to previous post :

Brymar do a universal quad lnb for 55 quid. They say it has adaptors to fit all dishes.

Is this a good buy ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds reasonable Tridion, providing it fits all minidishes, should be OK.

N

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Tridion,
    Just to add my two pence worth

If you are getting sky to install, why not get the new dish off them and sell it in Quids-in or Loot or your local buy and sell.
    You can insist they install it and then just take your own down.
    You will be able to get about £20-25 for a second hand dish in your local papers.
    Now get yourself on Ebay, twins are being sold for about £30.
    The channel master dish has an LNB that looks like its lieing down.
    The raven/triax type are bulkier, just have a look around your local houses and you'll soon realise the difference.

As Neverallocat says, to replace the twin for the single could not be any easier. You just press two lugs and it pops out...no tools needed there.

There is some bad press about the twins, but my experience is that they are fine. The installers seem to favour the philips quad.

Don't sell your dish on ebay, you'll get far more for it locally.

HTH

al

Thanks
    Karma Level

One way how you could get another fta card for your other box is ask a freind that dont have sly ask them to phone up for a fta card then when you get it phone the bbc up and give them your box no on your other box as i dont think you can have a sly card + a bbc card on the same addy but i might be wrong

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why not go to a local independant installer and order sky rather than going through sky HQ?

If your local installer is a good one (I know mine is) you can choose what box you want (stock permitting) and also specify any alternate installations you want.
    My neighbour did this as he already had a dish fitted when he moved in and wanted 2 boxes in the house. The installer was happy to fit a twin LNB on the existing dish for free as it saved him time and he now has a fta card in the second box in the bedroom.

Get the yellow pages out and have a word with your locals before you try sky hq!