Close

Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone using an Acer Revo currently?

Hey,

I remember reading alot of hype about the Acer Revo when it first come out.

So wondering if the original owners are still running the original unit or have upgraded to the 3610 Dual core 2gb/4gb units and what your experiences have been with media streaming (wireless network/bbc iplayer etc) and overall use of the unit.
    Also preference over XBMC/Mediaportal or what ever other options there are.

Im thinking of getting the 4GB/500GB 3610 shortly so just after a bit of feedback from others?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone using an Acer Revo currently?

im still running the original one mate that came with Linux, i have installed Windows 7 on it and upgraded the Ram to 3GB, cant complain about it one bit, i have streamed movies to it from another PC over the wireless and it works great (not HD), i now use it to stream media to xbox's all over the house (wired not wireless) and i can still use it to download new stuff when its doing that without a hitch, i have 2 1TB hdds connected via USB and can still burn discs when its downloading and streaming at the same time

all in all for the £165 i paid for it its one of the best machines i have ever had

the memory upgrade cost me £20 for 2GB so all in all £185 and its a great bit of kit - looks cool too!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

echo what mystical said - i've been running mine for a while - bought it off rodney trotters from this forum and solely use it for media streaming and watching mkv's. i do have a bit of trouble with iplayer via the xbmc plugin, but i think that is due to the build of xbmc i am using. iplayer via the official software works great.
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a Revo 3610 atom 330 with 4Gb. I originally bought it to replace a popcorn hour A-110 but in all honesty I was initially disappointed with it as it won't stream 1080p without putting linux on it and I wanted to keep the Win 7 that came with it. So, I relegated it to the bedroom and to be fair it's great for watching iPlayer, 4oD etc. along with any streamed content as long as it ain't HD. It's also good for betting on betfair as they have plenty of live footy on, especially Italian and it's great to have that stream on my TV while I bet on my laptop.

All in all I'm glad I bought it, even though it hasn't been used as I intended, however, it's opened up a whole new world of gambling in bed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have the dual core with 1gig of ram and i can run XBMC and winxp ok, although xp is just to get a decent speed FTP so i can make use of the internal HDD. I set it up with XBMC on an SD card and XP on the internal HDD so if i want to boot XP i just pop out the SD card and turn it on.
    As a media player (off usb hdd) i cant fault it at all, steaming 720p is fine for me too but I think 1080 was jerky. I don't have much 1080p material so I didnt bother trying to work out why.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm playing full 1080p movies without any problems on windows 7 32bit 2gb of ram. (from internal / usb hdd) (dual core revo)

I'll stick a guide up, I say guide lol its a piece of piss.

As for streaming, you have to open the machine up and buy a new wifi card as the one in the machine is pony.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I'm playing full 1080p movies without any problems on windows 7 32bit 2gb of ram. (from internal / usb hdd) (dual core revo)

I'll stick a guide up, I say guide lol its a piece of piss.

As for streaming, you have to open the machine up and buy a new wifi card as the one in the machine is pony.
    Can you also stream in 1080p via Win 7? Or just from the internal HDD/usb HDD? I need to be able to stream it, so if you can stick a guide up for that I'd reconsider my opinion of you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use one as my main media PC. Windows 7 is installed on the HDD with XBMC on a SD card. I download all my 1080p films on Windows 7 and copy to my USB HDD. Its normally powered on running Windows 7 so if I want to watch a film I pop in the SD card, push the power button which is set to reboot and XBMC loads up. It then scan's the movies folder on startup and gets the coverart etc (only takes a min) and everything is in my movies tab. Using the iPhone as a remote. XBMC from the SD card works really well.

As for streaming I did try and stream from a USB HDD plugged into a spare Laptop that was wired to my router to my Revo whch is hard wired via a Windows share in XBMC and it just buffered too much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds good - yeah i've read it can be a bit of a pain with 1080p depending on your set up.

@thrush - That guide would be handy pal cheers.

So what codecs are people installing? I read that for iplayer and youtube you need the adobe flash 10.1 beta .

Cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had previously used the latest build of Ubunto 9.10 with xbmc and to be perfectly honest it was fucking wank. Modelines, pissing about with ubunto for over a month not being able to play any video without some sort of stutter I gave up and went back to windows (glad I did)

I've read reports that windows 7 was only able to deal with 720p video but this isn't correct it can play 1080p no probs you just need to update your drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_f...us_nvidia.html

all the info is there. I did however go for a fresh install of windows 7 (32bit from a del oem - can be found in the usual places)

I shunned xbmc for http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ although it isn't as pretty as xbmc I'd rather have good looking video than interface.

As for the wireless card there is some info over at the xbmc forum regarding sticking in a better replacement but as I stream all my stuff via usb I'm not fussed.

You could just turn off the internal wireless and go for a usb wireless dongle/router kit doesn't belkin do one?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I had previously used the latest build of Ubunto 9.10 with xbmc and to be perfectly honest it was fucking wank. Modelines, pissing about with ubunto for over a month not being able to play any video without some sort of stutter I gave up and went back to windows (glad I did)

I've read reports that windows 7 was only able to deal with 720p video but this isn't correct it can play 1080p no probs you just need to update your drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_f...us_nvidia.html

all the info is there. I did however go for a fresh install of windows 7 (32bit from a del oem - can be found in the usual places)

I shunned xbmc for http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ although it isn't as pretty as xbmc I'd rather have good looking video than interface.

As for the wireless card there is some info over at the xbmc forum regarding sticking in a better replacement but as I stream all my stuff via usb I'm not fussed.

You could just turn off the internal wireless and go for a usb wireless dongle/router kit doesn't belkin do one?
    Have you ever tried playing games on your Revo set up? Something like Just Cause?
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tawny View Post
    Have you ever tried playing games on your Revo set up? Something like Just Cause?
    I've played Live for Speed on mine and it worked well on single player but frame rates dropped on multiplayer making it unplayable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/stream-medi...ur-hdtv/205848

good read over there in regards to streaming hd content.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As for games, I've not tried it.

The only thing I have installed on my machine is software drivers, and mpc, I don't want to clutter it with stuff that will slow it down. oh and nod32.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I put the order in on play.com this morning for the top model - £309.99.

I checked my account this afternoon and find that its been reduced to £279.99 and the discount has been applied to my order.

Awesome!

Thanks
    Karma Level

279 is good really, I paid 160 for the basic model with wired KB/Mouse but they never left the box so that wasn't important, I am tempted to upgrade the 160gig hdd as i filled that in a heartbeat.

good luck finding the config that works for you

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be careful installing the latest nvidia drivers too if you have installed flash player 10.1 p1. I was using 195.62 with p1, but decided to install 196.21 and that fucked up the gpu processing and cpu overhead went thru the roof. I rolled back and everything is fine again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just a quick note on these guys

If you still want to use windows 7 but also want 1080pmkv playback you can just ust media player classic HC, OR use mediaportal this will allow you to choose a codec to support GPU acceleration and they have skins similar to xbmc.

if you have linux then VDAPU (GPU acceleration) is supported in xbmc live.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will xbmc work on any pc that you can hdmi to your pc?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574 View Post
    Will xbmc work on any pc that you can hdmi to your pc?
    yup even if it has a vga connection or dvi. Whatever you want basically to connect your pc to your tv

you can install xbmc on windows or as a separate linux o/s that can boot of a usb pen drive or whatever - xbmc live.

Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast