Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Quick job price check...

Chaps,

Just a quick check from you mechanics out there.

On Friday I hit a patch of oil in the road and slid my Celica GT into a curb. Had it looked at and I've damaged both rods, knocked the tracking out, and incidentally have a shredded CV boot (not from the shunt).

My question is, what would you quote for the job, to replace the 2 rods and the CV boot and set the tracking?
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Quick job price check...

As far as "tracking" goes, you need a little more than that.
    You want a proper 4 wheel geometry setup as it's more than just the tracking that gets adjusted on them, that's gonna be a good £60 on it's own.

For track rod ends I'd guess no more than an hour for both sides (if it comes apart easily), plus however long it takes to split the driveshaft to get at the CV joint.

What the total price comes to will obviously depend on parts cost plus whatever the mechanics charge in your area, but I'd say start looking around the £250 - £300 mark.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know about older models but all Toyota driveshafts are now "positive retention" which means you can't remove the outboard joint. If this is the case then in theory the service center could remove the whole driveshaft & disassemble the inboard joint & slide on the new outboard boot, then reassemble the inboard joint but it would take time (i.e. money).
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck me Peg, I'm glad you're not my mechanic. The garage in question have quoted me £120 all in.

Thanks for the responses, I'll pay them with confidence now
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    Fuck me Peg, I'm glad you're not my mechanic. The garage in question have quoted me £120 all in.
    So they are supplying two track rod ends, a CV boot, putting it all together, and then doing a full geometry setup for that money?

Go for it mate, I've not found one place on the net that will do the full geometry (and that's what your car will need, because it's more than just the toe that will need resetting if they are doing the job properly) for anything less than £60 on it's own.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Go for it mate, I've not found one place on the net that will do the full geometry (and that's what your car will need, because it's more than just the toe that will need resetting if they are doing the job properly) for anything less than £60 on it's own.
    I've always thought full geometry checks/adjustments were around the 3 figure mark alone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the responses, I'll pay them with confidence now
    you sure thats not just for parts?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well the same happend to my Girlfriends car last week When both of her Trackrods had to be Replaced. the guy charged her £60. He supplied both rods and fitted them at £60 she couldnt get better than that. Her car was a Reanult clio

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope, that's for the full job...

I'll check with him in the morning that its a full geometry, cheers for the heads up...

Thanks
    Karma Level

parts fitted for £120 then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, the job was done for £120 (no VAT for cash). 2 tracking rods fitted, new CV boot fitted and full geometry.
    All good apart from the streering column left slightly off centre. Annoying really, but simple to sort.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i thought they made sure the wheel was straight before doing a geo?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by scoobie_wrc View Post
    i thought they made sure the wheel was straight before doing a geo?
    You would think.......

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I once hit kerb with nearside front while reversing at speed, spent a lot of money (spent = wasted) getting the same as you and steering wheel was always on the piss, no matter what they did front tyres wore like fuck - in end took it to main dealer because of tyre wear and everybody asking why steering wheel on the piss. - he said I had dunted the steering and needed replacing...they fiited new steering (rod??) and it was fixed - he said all the other shit was a waste of money and a false economy - all it needed was the steering done ....think it was about £250 for that.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    I once hit kerb with nearside front while reversing at speed, spent a lot of money (spent = wasted) getting the same as you and steering wheel was always on the piss, no matter what they did front tyres wore like fuck - in end took it to main dealer because of tyre wear and everybody asking why steering wheel on the piss. - he said I had dunted the steering and needed replacing...they fiited new steering (rod??) and it was fixed - he said all the other shit was a waste of money and a false economy - all it needed was the steering done ....think it was about £250 for that.
    LS
    Just to be clear, the car drives in a perfectly straight line with no veering. It's just the steering wheel which, when the wheels are perfectly straight, is rotated about 5deg clockwise. I just assumed this could be corrected by adjusting the column but since I know next to fuckall I'll accept any advice

Are you saying the steering rod or column may be damaged from the shunt and may need replacing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    no veering etc.....almost same issue as you, i took to several little garages who tries to straighten wheel ( car driving straight but steering wheel was as if driving round corner). they did tracking, one changed a wishbone - all a waste of money - car was a Skoda Octavia - my Boss complained about amount of tyres i was using and told me to take to Skoda Main dealer - they said when I had hit kerb I was at full lock and it had damaged steering, i think they said thread in steering rod???? then they replaced it and car was like new. sorry If you think I giving u bumsteer but your issue sounds very like mine.
    thanks
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    no veering etc.....almost same issue as you, i took to several little garages who tries to straighten wheel ( car driving straight but steering wheel was as if driving round corner). they did tracking, one changed a wishbone - all a waste of money - car was a Skoda Octavia - my Boss complained about amount of tyres i was using and told me to take to Skoda Main dealer - they said when I had hit kerb I was at full lock and it had damaged steering, i think they said thread in steering rod???? then they replaced it and car was like new. sorry If you think I giving u bumsteer but your issue sounds very like mine.
    thanks
    LS
    No, spot on mate... I'll take it to my trusted garage. I only used guys around the corner from work since I could walk to work from there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's just the steering wheel which, when the wheels are perfectly straight, is rotated about 5deg clockwise.
    The "full geometry" you had done wasn't done properly then Neo, because if it was then the machine would have told the Techie to straighten the wheel up before he started making adjustments.

Read this mate.. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/steeringgeometry.php

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    The "full geometry" you had done wasn't done properly then Neo, because if it was then the machine would have told the Techie to straighten the wheel up before he started making adjustments.

Read this mate.. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/steeringgeometry.php
    Yup Peg, you were pretty much spot on with your attempt to warn me. I've clearly left my car with a bunch of cowboy scumfucks who did a half job to make a quick cash deal. The bonus is that I got a reciept off them (which I had to ask for) stating they did a full geometry so if I can really be fucked, I could get them to redo the job at no cost although I suspect the steeering may need replacing as Lou has suggested and I'd rather leave my car with my regular (and very, very good) garage to get that done.

Methinks lesson learned. Once you find a good mechanic, stay loyal!
    (....... and don't buy ANYTHING in Jarrow!!!)
    Last edited by neo2810; 15th February 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll bet they did nothing more than a quick tracking adjustment Neo.

If it was a full on geometry, you would have got a printout showing the "before & after" settings for camber, castor, etc for all 4 roadwheels plus the "before & after" steering wheel position as well.

If you did damage the steering rack as well, that will be spotted during a full geo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast