Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Something 'MiRC' starting with my computer . . .?

Now I know what MIRC is, but I don't have it, or any other IRC client installed. What is happening is that during my startup sequence in windows, this very small bar (like a window dragged as small as you can) appears very briefly at the top of my screen, with the MIRC logo in the titlebar, then it is gone.

I'm not sure if it is leaving any lingering processes behind, or if it is doing anything, but it is bugging me obviously - is there anything else that MiRC owns or something? It is the exact little MiRC logo in the bar.

I've done all the usual stuff like check the registry for strange startup items, virus scan, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bet its a trojan trying to run an fserve. Do you see it running when you view task manager ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

ya its a trojan reboot into safe mode and do a virus scan, also search the registry for irc

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you may be on to something. After doing a bit more checking, I found it was a program being started in my registry, with a key and .exe name very close to system files (Taskmngr.exe instead of taskmgr.exe in my system32 folder) - this is very suspicious -

although the latest norton patterns don't recognize it as a virus - and when I view the properties of the .exe it says it is published by MiRC, and is an 'internet relay chat client'.

What would be the process name in task manager to look for ?
    I've obviously disabled it in the startup routine but am curious what and really how it got there. I don't download many .exes, scan em all, and definitely never run anything suspicious - very strange.

(i'm not running a firewall, stopped doing it long ago as I found it more a pain in the ass then it was worth, so I can't see if its trying to connect somewhere)

Thanks
    Karma Level

you really need a firewall dude, especially if you "preview" software. If i were you I would run one of these
    http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...jan&tg=dl-2001

because Norton may be missing it. Or install a firewall and reboot and see if anything fishy is trying to connect. You can always uninstall the firewall after you sort the problem out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Probably sub7. Close all the possible windows you can, like i mean anything connected to or that uses the internet. (Like aim MSN any shit like that) Then go to start>run. Type command then hit enter. After a black screen will come up, type netstat, it will give you all you current connections. Reply with what netstat gave you back.

PS: To copy from a dos window in 2k/xp first right click anywhere on the command window, hit mark, highlight wat you want to copy then just right click and it will be on the clipboard.

PPS: With this info I'll further inform you on what you got.

Edit:

It is definatly a trojan, I've had to remove it on a friends computer long time ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

why would this trojan be so obvious about itself?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have a simular problem if anyone knows how to solve.

my misses managed to install about 10 shite spyware things in about 20 mins surfing for mp3's. ABout the only time she used the damn computer she fucked it..

anyway my taskmanager in w2k now only shows the Applications tab and not the processes or menus.. anyone know how to change it back. i have removed all the software..

Thanks
    Karma Level

format c:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Run msconfig.exe in Sart>Run click on the 'Startup' tab. If there is anything suspicious listed in that window, or somthing you dont want to run at startup, just untick the item you wont want, Click apply and exit. It may ask you to restart windows sometimes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default h

i had the same problem. its a bot that uses your bandwidth to serve in a channel. and whoever put it on your computer would be uploading warez to you , so u can serve it. look in the windows folder or system folders and look for a file named BNC and delete it there is more to delete but i forgot the name. o and there would probably be a program called HIDeWINDOW. that hides the irc bot. delete it and u can see the client running.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by joe_90
    anyway my taskmanager in w2k now only shows the Applications tab and not the processes or menus.. anyone know how to change it back. i have removed all the software..
    I have the same issue - anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by hitdank
    why would this trojan be so obvious about itself?
    because it was written by a 4 year old

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had something like this way back - I think "The Cleaner" took care of it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

use a 3rd party task manager that gives you ALL running processes/programs and unregister the offending processes.

Another Task Manager will work

http://download.com.com/3001-2094-6771750.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by jack_black
    format c:
    well done, you cock.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've read all the replies - I'm not worried about it - I mean I deleted the reg key right away when I found it, so I'm not worried about it starting - I just want to know how the hell it got there, and why norton av skips it over -

illmatic36: if it was sub7, it would be picked up by norton av. Also, thanks for the netstat command, I didn't know about that.

Nintendo4: The thing is I don't have a server where unknown ppl can up me warez - I only run a private server and its barely used. Nothing would have come from there. Most software I 'preview' are regular releases from good sources. Any cracks, etc I do download, I always scan first -

More info:

If I copy the .exe out of the system32 directory and run it, it just opens a regular MiRC client window, so there is obviously something else involved.

----

Even more info:

Only when I copy back into my system32 folder and run it, does it not run a regular mirC client. I noticed that it invokes a program called 'secedit.exe' - no Idea what that is - some kind of security editer (what is it trying to do?)

anyway - here is the result of the netstat after manually 'starting' the trojan again (I've blanked out my work ip - that is my pc anwhere connection):

So it has established a connection to 216.127.67.188:6667

more info: When i started pinging and tracerouting this address, it went offline!

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP peter:1223 216.127.67.188:6667 ESTABLISHED

TCP peter:5631 (MY WORK ADDRESS) ESTABLISHED

Thanks
    Karma Level

either its a gay zombie which is commonly used for DDoSing (thats how they DDoSed grc.com ) or a trojan and its almost for sure the first one
    check your registry as 2MCM said better install a firewall and try scanning ur pc with Ad-Aware (its for spyware)

Thanks
    Karma Level

norton wont detect even the most obvious trojans if you pack/encrypt the exe.

how fast is the connection on the infected computer?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get AVP from www.kaspersky.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast