Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default HP Pavilion DV2700 Laptop - Graphics problem?

Soemone has asked me to have a look at this, but I am stumped TBH. Trying to explain the issue is gonna be hard so here's a picture of it (End of Post).

As you can see, the BIOS screen is showing 6 'tiled' copies of itself.

It does it during POST and then stays like it. After trying Safe Mode a few times and resetting the BIOS it worked OK for 1 boot. Then I rebooted and it went back.

I deleted the driver in Windows for the NVidia card at that time. Rebooted and it came back. It seems intermittent. I've striped it down, but cant seem to find any obvious signs of looseness.

Anyone had this before? Is it fixable? Should I just give up with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HP Pavilion DV2700 Laptop - Graphics problem?

Could be the ribbon cable that connects screen to mobo. When you get a dodgy connection, the problem can manifest itself in all sorts of problems on screen.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Could well be the GPU mate, the Nvidia chipsets are causing a world of problems in laptops atm with Sony being worst hit. But to make matters worse Sony just replace them with new boards, and don't bother revising them!

I had a mate drop round his HP DV9000 the other day and that needed a new system board or a repair to be made. IIRC it is like with the 360s, the GPU loses some contact with the BGA. You can always try the heatgun method if you dare.

To rule out a bad connection turn the machine on and wait til it reaches a static image. Leave the laptop still and note if anything is moving. Then move the laptop screen back and forth, then holding the top two corners give it a gentle twist to see if the display changes at all. This is the easy way rather than stripping it down. If the display changes then it could be a loose connection. If it doesn't change it just means it's a lot less likely to be a loose connection.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thing is, nothing's moving. If it loads with the 6 static screens it stays with 6 static screens .

I'll try to get it booted up correctly and get back. Cheers for the info.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What does it output to a monitor if you hook one up?

If it's fine on an external monitor then it would point to the ribbon or a bad connection whereas if you get the tiled copies on there also the GPU is shagged?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Reverend has pointed out the best way of testing it, I completely forgot to suggest that!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno why I didnt think of that! Doh. Always the simplest of answers! lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

classic NVidia fault phone up the manufacturer the should replace it under a NVidia knowing issue claws

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Right. Put it into a monitor. It does only show 1 screen. But there are blue vertical lines all over the place. I think TR's correct on this one. I'm gonna research the known issues and have a moan at HP.

That said though, this laptop's 15 months old. Whats the chances?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they don't seem too helpful maybe throw in something about going to Trading Standards - a laptop should last longer than that - and it's not one of the moving parts that's would be classed as wear and tear I don't think mate?

Like the guys have said if it's that thing that hit the news about the Nvidia chips they'll probably just replace when you get in touch?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Right. Put it into a monitor. It does only show 1 screen. But there are blue vertical lines all over the place. I think TR's correct on this one. I'm gonna research the known issues and have a moan at HP.

That said though, this laptop's 15 months old. Whats the chances?
    They will most likely be arseholes about it and either not want to know and try their best to mug you off or they will try to sell you extended warranty for a ridiculous price.

Stick to your guns saying it is a known fault with onboard Nvidia chips across a wide range of manufacturers. For example Sony have a special list for this exact issue which covers 60 different models! All of these models have their system boards replaced for free when the issue is to do with the Nvidia GPU. Dell, HP, and Sony are just a few manufacturers who have a wide problem with these chips.

If they are still stubborn ask to speak to their manager, insist it is a known fault and that you will persue your claim through legal routes if need be.

I had to argue about a similar thing in December with Toshiba, took ages arguing and insisting with the manager on the phone but he finally got my laptop booked in for repair telling me if it was not a known fault when it reached the service centre I would be billed £80 just to have it back with no repair. The service centre of course knew it was a known fault and replaced it free of charge.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just been onto HP Warranty and spoke to someone on their Live chat. The fella, TBH was pretty helpful.

I told him the fault and he explained to do the obvious (BIOS Upgrade).
    I made the Upgrade and it now boots into Windows fine, but after a few minutes the screen goes green the computer reboots and the 6 screens return... That said, once I turn the power off and back on again, it works fine again.

I reckon I'll get it exchanged as this is a well documented issue and isnt worth chasing for a repair. I'll advise my pal and he'll do the chasing anyway!

Thanks again for all the great advice lads.
    It's why I still come to this site EVERYDAY!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have they offered an exchange? It would be incredibly rare for a manufacturer to offer that, but if they accept it is a known issue they should replace the system board without any problems. In fact you have surprised me with how helpful they were, helps me out as I have a HP that I custom built and imported from the US for over a grand and it has a high powered Nvidia graphics chip!!

For reference, Sony will offer a replacement machine only if your unit has been sent to the service centre x amount of times in x amount of time for the same issue. I think it is 3 times in 2 months but not sure on that...

Anyway glad to hear your sorted