Close

Thread: INTEL or ATHLON

Thanks
    Karma Level

INTEL or ATHLON

i just purchased a amd athlon xp 2200+

just want you reviews on it, is it any good, i picked it up new and sealed for £134

also i added a poll just to see which you fancy, im giving amd a try and if i dont like it i will just move to intel
    K7S5A Socket A,_AMD Athlon 1800,_64mb mx400 gforce2,_256x2 DDR Ram,_Maxtor 40gb HDD,_Excelstor 20gb HDD,_C-Media AC97 Sound,_Exhaust Fan,_Blue heat sink. Blue and Yellow Cables,_450 watt ATX,_Server Case with side Perspex panel,_Liteon 40/12/48 CDRW,_Liteon 16x DVD,_Toshiba Floppy,_56k PCLINE LUCENT modem,_XP PRO,_Sony 15" TFT

ABCMan

i always have a laugh at amd, strikes me the come overclocked as standard which is why they fry if the heat sink goes wrong, i mean why call it a 2200+ it isnt even a 2gig chip? i couldnt trust a company that bases its chip model numbers on some fictional notion of its speed, then requires a heatsink the size of a small shed just to keep it from going into meltdown.

I'll stick with intel as if something goes wrong with the cooling it just slows down untill i fix it instead of costing me a new chip and mobo.

I know sk8er was mad keen on the xp series chips untill he saw the temp difference between his amd and my intel, his next machine will be an intel he says.

amd users upgrade to intel, intel users just upgrade

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: INTEL or ATHLON

Originally posted by n0k1a
    also i added a poll just to see which you fancy, im giving amd a try and if i dont like it i will just move to intel
    Hmmm I could have sworn I'd already done this here

Thanks
    Karma Level

As ABCMan says, Intel all the way here.
    I used to run AMD but I got fed up trying to keep the temperatures down and constantly worrying about it when the summer months were here (as well as the system instability thanks to a crappy VIA chipset).
    Changed to Intel and everything has been rock solid stable ever since (and much cooler as well).
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by ABCMan
    i always have a laugh at amd, strikes me the come overclocked as standard which is why they fry if the heat sink goes wrong, i mean why call it a 2200+ it isnt even a 2gig chip?
    I just noticed this. The reason they are numbered like this now is because 2200 is the equivalent speed of an old Tbird. Temperature is easily controlled with a few good fans and to be honest it doesn't really matter if your chip runs @30c say, and mine runs @50c (for example), if both are solid, does it??

Thanks
    Karma Level

soz violater, jeez i look up and there it is

sorry all
    Last edited by n0k1a; 29th August 2002 at 02:09 PM.
    K7S5A Socket A,_AMD Athlon 1800,_64mb mx400 gforce2,_256x2 DDR Ram,_Maxtor 40gb HDD,_Excelstor 20gb HDD,_C-Media AC97 Sound,_Exhaust Fan,_Blue heat sink. Blue and Yellow Cables,_450 watt ATX,_Server Case with side Perspex panel,_Liteon 40/12/48 CDRW,_Liteon 16x DVD,_Toshiba Floppy,_56k PCLINE LUCENT modem,_XP PRO,_Sony 15" TFT

ABCMan

Originally posted by Violator

I just noticed this. The reason they are numbered like this now is because 2200 is the equivalent speed of an old Tbird. Temperature is easily controlled with a few good fans and to be honest it doesn't really matter if your chip runs @30c say, and mine runs @50c (for example), if both are solid, does it??

no, but it DOES matter if the cooling fan fails and mine is still running below 70c and yours is frying itself at 600c as for stability see the post above yours i guess that kind of answers it.

for what its worth this machine (p3 866) runs at about 42c but its got a shitload of stuff inside the case generating heat and only fairly basic cooling (cpu, 2 case fans, gpu fan 2 fans in the psu and the fans on the caddies and dvdr) wheras the other machine (p4 northwood) runs sweet at 35c again with basic cooling (2xcase, 2x psu, gpu and cpu).

In all cases they are stock fans nothing special at all.

ABCMan

Thanks
    Karma Level

what do you think of the

P4 Northwood 2.53BGHZ CPU, i MIGHT buy it for £300

Thanks
    Karma Level

the 2.8 comes out soon, maybe next week and there will be a price drop. might not be on that chip but i wouldn't be too hasty in buying one.

Gimp

Ps, i got Intel chips and i never had AMD but they always seem to out perform the Intel chips.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i can see the 2.53 has dropped from £438

where can i see a review on them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't run my 1700+ athlon xp without the side of my case off

makes it pretty noisy.

C.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just bought a Dell with an Intel 2.53 and the first thing I noticed was it's so quiet, far quieter than the Compaq P700 I'd been using.

So I'll be sticking with Intel

Thanks
    Karma Level
    I would go for AMD just think of how much it will save you in heating bills in winter:signs:

Thanks
    Karma Level

intel all the way i say - been round for years and know loads more than amd will, intel r pro's amd r amatures, u wouldnt let an amature build your pc now would u, u wouldnt let an amature choose u a pc would u, and u sure's hell wouldnt let him construct the thing in a lab now would u!
    oh w8 sems some of u do

Thanks
    Karma Level

Afew months ago I would have said AMD. I've had a Athlon 1.2ghz and I currently own a AthlonXP 1800+. While both performed well, I'm finding the lure of Intel hard to resist. With no major advancements in the AMD front, and the upcoming 2.8ghz P4 (which will OC to 3ghz without a freezer in your PC) it's becoming harder to resist the dark side.

I'm seriously considering building my first Intel Sytem this year...can't say I'll miss VIA Chipsets tbh

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was running a dual athlon system with 2 x 1900mp's, The system used the 3 amd chipsets and was rock solid stable, also the performance was excellent, my only problem was heat, they do run extremely hot, and my place is like a hot house at the best of times, so i decided to give the p4 2.53ghz with 1066mhz rambus memory a try, with this system i am very pleased with performance, heat and reliability, the only let down on the system is that my duals was a lot quicker within windows and tmpgencoding, decoding a movie at highest quality took about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs on my amd system and take about 5 1/2 hrs on the intel, my amd duals use mpx chipset on the mobo so they communicate very well with each other, i like both intel and amd, usually down to what chipset mobo is used and how it's configured, as for fan failure, never had one since the 486 days, keep them clean and they run for years, plus new amd mobos will dethrottle the cpu if any overheating occurs, apparantly works now as well, (old versions didn't) If the new amd processors due out next year run as cool as intel then i will switch back if not i will stick with intel.
    Last edited by psxwizz; 21st September 2002 at 09:00 AM.

0.0.0.0 x 255.255.255.255 --- The Nexus of the Universe
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just received a beta chip of the 2700 from a buddy who got connections

SWEET SPEED!

please pm 4me2, ABCMan or Czarjunkie with an explanation why you failed to post or request help posting the email headers of the email you mentioned (along with the full headers) too late Ive banned him after no response for 48 hours (4me2)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default xp2200

I used to have a p3 450 for about 3 years, never had a problem, my budget told me the next pc was gonna have to be athlon, so i bought an xp2200 and was worried by al the storys of cooling etc.

Well it's been nearly 4 months now and I've had no probs at all, the pc is on Mirc 24/7 and Direct connect etc, I also transfer loads of avi's to mpegs etc , and I've not had one prob, the temp stays constant all the time, even when running multiple programs.

The only prob was the poxy Abit motherboard, a RAID AT7, the lan port does not work at all, stops after 1-3 mins, i gave up and popped a lan card inside
    "Mama said alligators are angry because they have all them teeth and no tooth brush"