Close

Thread: Six pack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Six pack

is this machine: http://www.gymworkoutgear.com/ab_cru...e_home_gym.htm

better for the six pack than doing situps? I hav used one like it and becuz u can set the wieght u can set it heavier do less reps and feel like u've had a good workout.

EDIT: Currently sold out so you can't see picture, however info on thread still excellent!
    Last edited by Porthos; 19th November 2002 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it's probably best to just do situps, afterall they don't cost you anything and they are effective. you can always hold some weight on your chest while doing the situps to give it more effect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

best way to get a six pack is not so much through sit ups but through diet - everyone has a six pack as the stomach muscles are allways used in day to day life - just most of us have covered them with a good few layers of fat
    If you really do a lot of weight intensive excersises then your stomach muscles and obliques will grow but you`ll end up getting a bigger waist which most of us dont really want that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So what kind of diet is best to get a 6pack? I've been using slendertone pads (8 of em) on my abs for about 3 weeks now, 40mins a day.. stomach is starting to change shape (sorta dimpling in at the sides) but not much sign of visible 6pack yet. Any advice/tips would be greatly appriciated. I'm pretty skinny btw.
    <Lionel Hutz> Oh I am, am I? Is that what you think? Well if that's what you think, I have something to tell you. Something which may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows. I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive done a lot of situp and used one of those electrolosis belts and i can feel the firm abs underneath like monkfish said u have to get rid of the layers of fat to show under neath.. other wise u'll have abs that can stop a lorry but are still the size of ur beer belly.
    Meh....

Thanks
    Karma Level

A few points for getting a six pack........

1) you can have the best abs on the planet, and if you are more than 20% body fat you will not see then, most people have to be between 10-15% to get the top 4 in, let alone the lower two (the hardest in men to see as fat usually accumlates here initially as the weight piles on).

2) Sit ups are okay, but crunches, twisting crunchies and leg raises are far better. vertical situps are the best (also do a lot of work for the lower back) but these are VERY difficult and for the pros only, plus you need the ankle hooks and a horizontal bar at the correct height.

3) if you use weights doing ANY excersise it will aid one thing, and that is make the muscle(s) bigger, so using them on a stomach excersise will do the same, granted it may make the abs stick out more and increase some definition but you waist line will also become larger and is that really the effect you want? most guys are after a triangle image as in large shoulders, slim waist tapering in so this will decrease that image.

My advice is diet well, do lots of crunchies (all abs), leg raises (for the lower abs) twisting crunchies (for the obliques and spinal erectors) and hypers for the lower back. As in any bi muscle group best to train both sides of the sesaw (like training biceps and triceps)

Thanks
    Karma Level

there's not much more i can say on this after morphs post but without dieting then there's no point trying to have good abs.....cause no one will see them.

There are a multitude of different exercises and gimmicks that will help you in producing near perfect abs but we can only suggest what we personally find is the best way for ourselves through experience, all of morphs ideas are top notch but i also find that the ab toner (the ones you lie down on and hold onto a bar above your head to push yourself up on) are also very effective, after doing a proper set on these i feel more pain the next day than using any other type of exercise.
    "Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope."
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Morph can you come round my house in your sports car and show me all the excercises? I'll make you a special cup of tea.
    My current diet is:
    No breakfast.
    Sardines for lunch.
    Cheeze, salad and rice cakes for dinner
    Lots of water milk and orange squash.
    Is that crap? It seems kinda healthy in a way.. ?
    Last edited by RowaN; 20th November 2002 at 12:57 AM.
    <Lionel Hutz> Oh I am, am I? Is that what you think? Well if that's what you think, I have something to tell you. Something which may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows. I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by RowaN
    Morph can you come round my house in your sports car and show me all the excercises? I'll make you a special cup of tea.
    My current diet is:
    No breakfast.
    Sardines for lunch.
    Cheeze, salad and rice cakes for dinner
    Lots of water milk and orange squash.
    Is that crap? It seems kinda healthy in a way.. ?

Not the best solution. To increase "fatburning" (translated directly from norwegian, no idea what the english word is) you need to feed your body 6-7 times a day. Breakfast is vert important.

0700 Breakfast - Slice of bread with ham

1100 Lunch - 2 slices of bread with ham

1400 Middlemeal - 1 slice of bread

1700-1800 diner - chicken and pasta is perfect

2000 - slice of bread

2300 - slice of bread

And remember to drink at least 3 litres of water every day. and eat at least 3-4 fruits everyday.

That should help you loose weight pretty fast.

and, ham was just an example.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bread isnt a good thing to eat if u wanna loose weight, it can make some people bloated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah being bloated is good cos you will eat less. I heard tho that too many carbs is not good? any truth in this?

Also, i have a 'dodgy' back, i fairly often get pains in my back. i find when doing sit ups it can trigger the pain easily- has anyone got any tips on how i could improve this?

It would also be good if anyone has a site with a decent explanation on how to do the different crunches etc...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

with all good intensions all the sittup and excerse in the world won't give u a six pack beleive u me i know....
    the diet first then excersie they go hand in hand with each other..
    bread,pasta,potatoes and rice are all bad... a rule of thumb is that the carb u have should fit into a hand.. eat more often but smaller... bulk up on veggies and eat meat (not fatty) and chicken....
    i know all about this as up to now i have lost 7 stone and my abs r starting to show only now... its deffo not an overnight thing.. and if u think it is forget about it...
    i was told when i started that its not what u do in the gym the time u r there its the other time when u r not there
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

bigbadleo, u bin on the atkins diet then?

R u sure all carbs r bad? Afaik carbs r good for you but u need the slow release ones such as pasta and brown rice rather than quick release like sugar. I'm not sure, but I think that people who think that all carbs are bad tend 2 b on the atkins diet.