Network Internet Sharing Help

Thread: Network Internet Sharing Help

Dark Angel said:

Network Internet Sharing Help

Hi can anybody help,

I've currently got 2 PC's connected using a Hub and my Cable Modem is attatched to the host computer, I can share internet access but the host computer has to be on, what do I need to be able to access the internet from my client computer with the host switched off.

Do I need a router or something.

Someone help please.

merlinL14 said:

Just get yourself a router m8, I have the belkin 4 port LAN and 1 port WAN this is the only interface that needs to be switched on with the cable modem for access by anyother PC attached to it.

bean_2k1 said:

i suggest a linksys router mate they work great with blueyonder 1mb connection

Dark Angel said:

Thanks

Thanx for your help guys its much appriciated

spade2001 said:

well i got a USB cable modem?? can u get routers for a USB cable modems or do u have to have a NIC card!

i have looked on the internet but havent had much look resolving my problem

merlinL14 said:

netgear do a router model with the modem built in m8. Have a search on dabs.com .

pattikins said:

I'm using a netgear DG814 (built in modem) router & I've been well pleased with it. It has RJ 11 ports & 4 Network ports + a splitter. The only problem I had was the idle time out- i changed that to '0' instead of the default '5' min & i didn't have to reset anymore. It cost me £128 from Dabs:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

hxbro said:

This is for a cable modem not adsl. I'm not aware of any routers that have usb connections for cable modems. You need a new cable modem with ethernet - I just happen to have one (3com CMX) if your interested 30 quid + whatever the P&P will be. You'll probably have to register the mac address with ntl again tho.

Hx