How to install DreamScene in Windows 7 and Vista non-Ultimate

Information:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will show you how to install & configure Windows DreamScene in Windows 7 and in Vista.This article applies to:
Windows 7: Home Premium,Proffessional,Ultimate (x32,x64)
Vista: Home Basic,Home Premium,Business (x32,x64)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official DreamScenes is only available for Vista Ultimate (more details in this tutorial CLICK ) there is no DreamScene for Vista non-Ultimate versions and for Windows 7.In Windows 7 is only available slideshow pictures (more details here CLICK ).Neverless there are two unofficial methods to enable DreamScenes on Vista non-Ultimate and in Windows 7

METHOD I

This method based on DreamScene from Vista Ultimate,it add DreamScene.dll to C:\Windows\System32 and DreamScene.dll.mui to C:\Windows\System32\en-us plus special fix to registry.On the Web there are many various DreamScene patches but unfortunatelly many of them is incorect done,some authors of their works seems do not accept fact there are 64bit systems as well :mad:,some installers not working when UAC is on,even more there are also installers not working when UAC is off,or some patches are unconfortable to install.Thus I recommend program made by @alfawaves from mydigitallife.info :) -it work great for all Vista non-Ultimate and Windows 7 all versions both 32 and 64bit.

I.How to install

It's very easy to install,just download application from below:

unpack it,and place it in anywhere,run Enable DreamScenes.exe

Attachment 54267

and click Enable bottom,next choose "reboot Windows",apply and after restarting system you can enjoy DreamScene

II.How to use

WHAT KIND OF VIDEO FORMATS ARE SUPPORTED?

Windows DreamScene only allows files in *.MPG and *.WMV extension to be set as wallpaper,and officiall only these media are supported.
However there is way to workaround it and play also other video formats.

HOW TO PLAY OTHER VIDEO FILES (different than *.MPG,*.WMV)

To do that make sure you have proper codec installed.For example if you want play DivX video you have to install
DivX codec,etc.Probably you want to play many various video formats,the best solution would be install any
good codec pack.I recommend install Shark007 codecs Shark007's FREE Codec solutions - Windows 7 codecs,next add extra extension *.MPG or *.WMV to the end of the file name what
do you want play,i.e if the file name is DreamScene.avi you have to rename it to Dreamscene.avi.mpg or to DreamScene.avi.wmv

SET VIDEO CLIP AS WALLPAPER

There are two methods to set video clip as animated wallpaper

1. METHOD I (work only for Vista)

right click on Desktop>>Personalization>>Desktop Background,choose video clip and apply

2.METHOD II (work for Vista and Windows 7)

Open folder where you store video clips,right click on video clip and choose "Set as Desktop backgroud"

Attachment 54248

Option "Set as Desktop Background" is only availabe for files with *.MPG and *.WMV extensions

ADJUST THE DREAMSCENE VOLUME LEVEL

If video clip have included audio stream you can also listen sound too.To set Volume level go to Volume speaker icon in taskbar,left clik on it,choose Mixer option
Attachment 54261
and now you will have acces to adjusting Volume level for DreamScenes

Attachment 54262

PLAY/PAUSE DREAM SCENE

If you want you can pause wallpaper motion,right click on desktop and choose "pause dream scene"
Attachment 54265,
if you want re-enable wallpaper motion again
right click on desktop and choose "play dream scene"
Attachment 54264

POSSIBLE ISSUES WITH DREAM SCENES

1.HIGH CPU USAGE BY EXPLORER.EXE

The best way to avoid this problem is to have the modern hardware (the newer the better) and up to date BIOS and drivers for chipset and video card.
You can also try convert video files to another format,or change codecs and ensure your video files are not too big.
Another method is to use any 3p for DreamScene (see METHOD II)

2.MESSING UP DESKTOP ICON TEXT

(this problem is only in Windows 7)

At the present time there is no pernamently solution,you can only fix it per session:switch to another video (or image) wallpaper and next back to previous video wallpaper

III.HOW TO UNINSTALL PATCH

If due to any reason you want dispose patch then restore image wallpaper next run Enable DreamScene.exe and choose "Disable".Sometimes this option may not work and following error is returned:
Attachment 54269

In this case follow below:

1.Close window with error message,and again run Enable DreamScene.exe file
2.Open taskmanager and kill explorer.exe,(click on explorer.exe and press bottom "End process")
3.Go back to Enable DreamScene.exe and click in that "Disable" bottom (this time it should work)
4.Navigate back to taskmanager and rerun explorer.exe

(File>>New Task,type C:\Windows\explorer.exe and apply. (image)

Attachment 54272

METHOD II

Another method to have DreamScenes is to install any 3p program.Until now I know three programs which let you enjoy animated wallpapers: VLC Media Player,DeskScapes,DreamScene VideoWallpaper
Unfortunatelly only VLC Media Player is freeware.

Maybe there are more of them-Google your friend :).

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Images