Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Prob no-one has solved

My sys- Asus A7V266 board, 1.4 Athlon, G-Force 2GTS 64meg ddr, 512DDR ram, S-Blaster Live, Diamond Supra Modem.
    Ever since I built the system (been at it about 8 years(should no what I'm doing (not)), any 3D game crashes completely randomly and simply returns me to the desk top with no explanation or visable problem about what just happerned!! My chip has the biggest cooler ever(and the loudest)at approx 48 degrees, 2 case fans, (I dont get no funny colours or nothing so I dont think its heat, anyway as soon as something has crashed I can start it again instantly no probs), the vid card, sound card and hard drive are from my old system which never crashed(you no what I mean). I even rebuilt the full thing with just the vid card in, nothing else but windows installed and it still crashed. I first presumed it had to be either my new(at the time)1.4 Athlon, Asus board or the ram which I bought all at the same time, took it back to the shop 250000 times to get the reply that the could'nt find anything wrong(****ers). I've tried every combo of drivers for cards and m-board to no avail, and messed around with everything in the bios. I am at the point of PC suicide if there is such a thing. I can normally fix almost any prob on my mates pc's so I'v probably tried the obvious.
    Win 98 SE or Win XP pro makes no difference. DXDiag shows a few thing sharing IRQ's but does'nt suggest its a problem???is this normal???
    IF ANY ONE CAN HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. I've asked about this on a few sites to no avail.

Thanks
    Karma Level

my old man had a problem like this! everytime he tried a game it returned him to windows!

problem was solved by installing the latest directx and videocard drivers! altho u probably already tried that!

lemaru

Thanks
    Karma Level

is you 512 meg of memory in 1 stick?

Thanks
    Karma Level

stevensred5 - This problem got solved long long ago! i also solved it on the other forums....

BTW the topic isnt exactly helpful
    Last edited by EUPHORiA; 4th September 2002 at 09:04 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by EUPHORiA
    stevensred5 - This problem got solved long long ago! i also solved it on the other forums....

BTW the topic isnt exactly helpful

telling him how you solved the problem could be helpfull

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default problem

i had the same problem with a different motherboard ecs k7s5a with 512mb sdram it would start the game ok then crash to desktop or restart my pc i changed my memory to 1 stick of 512mb ddr memory and i have never had the problem again i also tried eveything you did drivers the whole works and nothing worked so memory was the last resort and bingo that was it sorted

cheers bighun

Thanks
    Karma Level

got like 2 laptops in front of me and i keep getting confused over which keyboard to use lol just had a quick surf and found the link...

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=122883

Thanks
    Karma Level

Big Big Thanks EUPHORiA, I've read the lot (about 2 hours), noted every fix and downloaded everything and I'll try the lot on Friday. If this works I really will owe you a BIG drink.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well... i started the post and yeah have had the problem on 3 computers here and fixed all 3 of them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, I'v applied the reg patch from the microsoft site to do with the sound loop stuff, it said it was for win2000, but any way, enabled PCI latency in my bios, set my vid card speeds down with powerstrip, and the random dropping back to desk top is more frequent, I actually see this as a good thing cause now I no one of the things I done has affected it. Now I'll try reverting every-thing back and then try 1 at a time (wat I should have done in the 1st place I no). BY the way EUPHORiA do you reckon its one of the fixes in particular that has the most effect or just a case of trying combinations depending on my system? Thanks again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did u set the other settings in the bios apart from PCI latency? And are you sure you read the guides proper? What OS are u on? what PCI cards do you have in your computer? Driver version? Which slots have u got the PCI cards? whats ur AGP Driving and Strentgh set at? what make is your geforce 2? what drivers are u using with it and what sb-live do you have and whats the model number on the card?

Do you have a fan on your gfx card? what is the temp of ur gfx card do u know? u aint overclocking it are u?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm running XP pro, Vid card is a Hercules Prophet 2 GTS 64ddr, drv 28.32, diamond supra modem (internal) slot 2, soundblaster live value slot 4, AGP set at x4 and tried EA & FF and auto, there is a fan on the vid card and nothing is overclocked. I dont think its anything to do with the other cards conflicting cause I've tried a complete rebuild with just the vid card in and it still drops back to windows. Dont know the temp of the vid card, but it was never a prob in my old system. I'm starting to think my problem just seems similar to the one you solved but may be something different. When it drops back to Windows there is no lock-up and no explanation why 90% of the time, the other 10% requires a restart. That Dr Watson thing does'nt even seem to have even noticed anything has happerned even when I have to it running in the back ground. I've corrently got the vid card set at FF, PCI Latency enabled, at 32, all Com ports off, Parralell port off, SysBios cashe off, all shadowing off, have'nt messed around with the CPU Slew Rate cause I cant find it, could it be called something else on my board? I will continue trying the different fixes anyway cause your help is the closest I've came. Again many thanks for anything else you can come up with.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have your tried teh safemode trick and installing VIA4 in 1 excluding the AGP driver? Ah i just noticed you said that games crash and go back to desktop! the link i gave u is when it crashes and totally freezes the system

Sounds like you have the DirectX bug. You will need to download the patch for it for winXP. Its when you play any direct 3d, opengl game and it will just randomly kick u back to desktop if your on winxp. DirectX bug. Hit the news on the net a bit ago, not sure if its on SP1 but who knows? ur best bet is the MS WinXP support site. dont know if MS Offer free WinXP support still

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant find any info on a direct x bug with xp on microsoft site (they dont tend to openly tell you about them anyway), I'll keep looking though, now I'll try installing VIA4 in 1 excluding the AGP driver. I'm sure the PC was still dropping back to desktop even with-out VIA 4 in 1 installed at all, thats why I put it on. Thank again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A quick solution which could help is to drop back to 23.aa drivers for your GeForce 2 GTS and then find the refresh rate fix. The problem could be the refresh rate! I have read a couple of F&Q's of games and noticed it mentiones this as a solution in WinXP. Not sure if it will work for u but hey worth a go.

Also what DirectX are u running? The EXACT build will do...
    Last edited by EUPHORiA; 8th September 2002 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK I think I got it sust, a guy called Klondyke on AMDForums looked at this problem and came up with this - the bios on my m/board version 1008b was quickly withdrew from the Asus site along with 1009 as well due to problems when this board was combined with a GF2 or GF3, apparantly the AGP driving strength does not set correctly at EC when you reboot, this combined with paricular Detonator Versions can change the IO Volt RANDOMLY, and this is not an AMD only prob. The fix for a hell of a lot of people was to upgrade bios to 1010, or 1007 and use any Dets except 23.11, with your AGP strength set at AUTO or EC. Am goner try it now if I can get James to sleep (no chance). I will post results.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks EUPHORiA will try refresh fix as well, probly Monday night cause my son aint going to sleep with-out a fight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok flashed bios to 1010 and have AGP strength set at auto, have'nt changed any of the other bios settings from the ones proposed in the fixes, have vid card core and mem back to normal and so far the thing has'nt crashed once (should'nt have said that), to be honest I have'nt really played it for a great length of time to let it crash but I'll let anyone know who's interested if this aint the fix.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's still crashing!!!!!!!!But now I'm getting the infinite sound loop prob as well as a simple drop back to the desk top. Pretty sure its Bios related cause after I flashed it one of the new settings that appeared was OPTIMAL settings switch with a warning related to ensuring that you know what your doing before turning this on, and overclocking is also mentioned as well here, when its turned on the crashing is alot more frequent so now I trying to work out which settings are changed when its on. Could this change things that I can't normally get at??

Thanks
    Karma Level

when u flash ur bios u should clear the cmos and then go into bios setup and then select optical settings. It ensures that no old settings are left from ur pervios bios.

Have u stripped ur computer down and just had ur gfx card in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast