Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Strange Stutter On Me Pug !

Any advice on the following problem would be appreciated:

I have a Pug 306 1.4XL (1994 - M reg)
    It currently has a strange stutter/power problem when the engine is cold. Basically when I set off to work in the morning for the first 5 - 10 mins is stutters every time you change gear and then put your foot down. It mostly happens under load when you floor it and if you drive conservatively will probably not occur. It appears to be flooding the engine and then will suddenly pick up after about 5 seconds and you will shoot off. It can still happen whe nthe engine is warm but is very rare and not as bad if it does.

It his been in the garage about 10 times for this problem and no garage find the problem.

I have had a temp sensor replaced.
    New HT leads.
    a few other bits I forget.

It had an Engine managment unit and is single point injection.

This apparently is common on Pug 306's and Citroens as I know to other people with these cars that have the same thing and they also can't get it sorted.

If any more info would help just ask.

Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmmmmmmmmm???????? On a normally aspirated engine the first thing I'd check is the carb, because it sure does sound like a fuel problem to me, but..............yours has injection and engine management which makes it a great deal more difficult because there are many components on there that can cause the same problem by giving false readings to the ECU and cause the injector to fuel for the wrong conditions, unlike a carb that is controlled by nothing but mechanical movement, air flow and vaccum. The fact that the problem is intermittent makes for a difficult one to cure, so.....don't be so hard on the tech's that have looked at it up till now, cos it's way too easy to give in before you even start due to previous experience with wasting time on equally hard to find problems. The mechanics you had look at your car? Independant or dealer? reason I ask is because the dealership mechanics have vastly more experience of problems familiar to the type of car they work on every day, as opposed to independant garages which may help, but usually can't afford the time and don't have enough experience with ONE model of car. Check all pipes and hoses, check fuel is not bypassing the injector and leaking into the manifold. Has your car been MOT'd lately? did they adjust the mixture? did it pass emissions without need for adjustment? Do you use the same petrol station every time? try another. Has any mechanic kept it overnight so he can test drive it in the conditions the fault is most likely to occur? answers on a postcard to.............. :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strange Stutter On Me Pug !

try the breather pipe matey,i no it sounds dunse but on my xsi i was havin the same only to find the breather had a slit in it so i replaced and it perfect now!

Thanks
    Karma Level

it is more than likely your spark plug leads mate changer loads on the 1.4 `s ,

No need to check the carb as from 1992 onwards mostly all vehicles come as single or multi point injection.

regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

If You Have Fitted Or Has Ngk Sparkplugs Fitted Replace With Bosch And Id Suggest Take It To A Independent Who Can Test Individual Components And Dont Just Guess All I Do All Day If Diagnostic Work And Fault Finding And Have Only Replaced 10 Ecu's In Past 12 Years They Are A Pretty Reliable Piece Of Equip That Every One Seems To Blame Cos They Cant Find The Prob. Use The Old Multi Meter, Vac Gauge, Common Sense And Experience Plus Info You Dont Need The Fancy Scan Tools Aprt From To Turn Light Off When You Finished

Thanks
    Karma Level

its your sad
    supplementary device is up the swanee.....think of it as an automatic choke......without it the cars a pig to drive when cold...

as for ngk spark plugs being crap....nope...the only advantage with the bosch ones is that they last longer.....
    tvr..aston martin...rolls royce all use ngk as standard

also as said check your beather pipes for any splits/blockages as this can bugger things up as well....

if it still plays up your afm may need retracking but its cheaper to find one from a scrappy as these do cost a lot from new....dont know how much retracking would cost

heres some links that might help..

www.peugeot-gti.net
    http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
    Last edited by huxley; 21st October 2004 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hope hes fixed it now, this thread is 2 years old.

Thanks
    Karma Level

oops lol