Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New 3GS - what do I need to avoid?

Missus has got herself a shiny new iPhone 3GS on Vodafone - I've done a bit of reading up and believe it has a new bootrom so is seems there's not much I can do with it at present anyway - she's not able to use it for a few days till her old number ports over hopefully Tues/Weds next week.

I know naff all about them having only had Nokias for the last 15+ years so it's a steep learing curve as I'm sure many of you know

Is there anything I need to avoid doing initially - I'm assuming it's ok to install the latest iTunes program from the main Apple site so she can mess with music and stuff and she should hopefully be able to use t'internet from it on the home wifi.

Any tips about things I really shouldn't/should do with it would be really helpful,

Cheers in advance,

Northernbloke

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New 3GS - what do I need to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Missus has got herself a shiny new iPhone 3GS on Vodafone - I've done a bit of reading up and believe it has a new bootrom so is seems there's not much I can do with it at present anyway - she's not able to use it for a few days till her old number ports over hopefully Tues/Weds next week.

I know naff all about them having only had Nokias for the last 15+ years so it's a steep learing curve as I'm sure many of you know

Is there anything I need to avoid doing initially - I'm assuming it's ok to install the latest iTunes program from the main Apple site so she can mess with music and stuff and she should hopefully be able to use t'internet from it on the home wifi.

Any tips about things I really shouldn't/should do with it would be really helpful,

Cheers in advance,

Northernbloke
    In iTunes disable look for further updates and hopefully when Apple release a major firmware update we will see posibly a new Jailbreak too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just search for blackrain and do a tethered jailbreak, all you do is click and it's jail broken and cydia is installed. Tethered basically means if you power off the phone or the battery runs out you need to connect it back to the computer and run blackrain again to boot it back up otherwise it will be asking you to restore via itunes. Then you can do anything anyone else can do and a tethered jailbreak is not really as bad as it sounds, how often do you let the battery drain right down or need to actually turn the phone off.
    CR0W - CrowTech Systems

http://crowtech.netfirms.com

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CR0W View Post
    Just search for blackrain and do a tethered jailbreak, all you do is click and it's jail broken and cydia is installed. Tethered basically means if you power off the phone or the battery runs out you need to connect it back to the computer and run blackrain again to boot it back up otherwise it will be asking you to restore via itunes. Then you can do anything anyone else can do and a tethered jailbreak is not really as bad as it sounds, how often do you let the battery drain right down or need to actually turn the phone off.
    He can't Jailbreak at the minute mate as his phone is new (3GS) which will have F'ware 3.1.3 and it also has the new bootrom on it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CR0W View Post
    He said he has the new bootrom, I thought that made it impossible to jailbreak.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

lol you beat me to it Flik.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    He can't Jailbreak at the minute mate as his phone is new (3GS) which will have F'ware 3.1.3 and it also has the new bootrom on it.
    My 3gs from voda shipped with 3.1.2 same with the replacement I got off them, just a shame it has the new bootrom.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Northernbloke

Just to be sure mate check if you actually have 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 just cos you just got it don't mean it's 100% 3.1.3 if it is then your stuffed, if it's 3.1.2 your sorted.
    CR0W - CrowTech Systems

http://crowtech.netfirms.com

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't know that 3.1.2 could be jailbroken if it had the new rom. Must check the wife's iphone and if she has 3.1.2, she is going to have a swap.
    Last edited by spraky; 8th March 2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: wrong info by me

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it helps, I got a 3GS 16gb from o2 last week and it came with 3.1.2 and I used BR on it no problem
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

3.1.2 is good to go regardless of the bootrom !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for the delay - work got in the way of life ~(and me sorting out my own new N900 took priority over that Apple Shite )

It's definitely showing as 3.1.2 in the system info page on the phone and in iTunes - itunes says there is an update to 3.1.3 available but I've told her not to update it EVER without asking me first (and then waiting for the responses from the helpful guru's on here of course).

Put it into recovery mode and checked and it definately has the new bootrom (359.3.2), no way she can be trusted not to let the battery go flat, and she probably wouldn't be able to fix it herself if she did let it switch off for any reason so I think we'll just leave it alone for now
    Last edited by Northernbloke; 13th March 2010 at 01:59 PM.