Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Am i being too picky

I have £500 for a car, could probably stretch a little over.

I want a 5dr petrol 1.2 or small car tho
    I want a 5dr diesel 1.6-1.9 small car tho

Looking for a MK2 punto 1.2 or MK2 Punto HGT 1.9 under 100,000 miles, not fussed about little damage as i have 2 decent scrap yards near me with pleanty of cars.

Anyone see a bargain within 20miles of newcastle upon tyne, giz a shout.

cheers,
    d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Am i being too picky

fuck the punto n get a polo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm also looking for a car on the same budget.

Found a 2000 (X) Reg Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI Comfort with 102K on the clock for £400. I'm waiting to hear if its still available.

If that isn't available there are a couple of R/S/T Reg VW Polo's that are 1.4 8v's with about 50K-80K available in budget with a few months MOT & Tax.

I'll only buy a VAG car though so my range shrinks with that. It's a second car for us too that will be getting used rarely - but I'm interested in a good car.

Plenty of Skoda Felecias around too for cheap, they're 1.3 Petrols. Late ones are VAG built too.

If your interested in anything like these drop me a PM and I'll send over details - they're not far from me so not too much of a journey for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just avoid a clio, theyre made badly and literally fall to bits, a few years back my car was nicked so i bought a £500 clio to get to work and back until the insurance paid out. big mistake in the end i swapped it for a fiesta with a lad at work and the fiesta is still going the clio on the other hand in the 2 weeks I had it the handbreak cable went, the gearknob came off and the auxillary belt broke (twice) and the seats were horrifically uncomfortable

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That sounds about the norm for a French car IMO.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by d3xt0r View Post
    I have £500 for a car, could probably stretch a little over.

I want a 5dr petrol 1.2 or small car tho
    I want a 5dr diesel 1.6-1.9 small car tho

Looking for a MK2 punto 1.2 or MK2 Punto HGT 1.9 under 100,000 miles, not fussed about little damage as i have 2 decent scrap yards near me with pleanty of cars.

Anyone see a bargain within 20miles of newcastle upon tyne, giz a shout.

cheers,
    d3xt0r
    buy two bikes and get them trailer for the kids you could do with loseing weight lol
    there are two kind of people in this world those who are GEORDIES and those who would like to be a GEORDIE.......

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by taxi View Post
    buy two bikes and get them trailer for the kids you could do with loseing weight lol
    cheeky cunt, get back to your blow job with the hoover, ill tel your lass that your on the computer instead of doing your house work in your pinny.

Kyle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by d3xt0r View Post
    cheeky c*nt, get back to your blow job with the hoover, ill tel your lass that your on the computer instead of doing your house work in your pinny.

Kyle
    aleast i help and not fall asleep lololololololol
    there are two kind of people in this world those who are GEORDIES and those who would like to be a GEORDIE.......

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want to spend £500 on a car it needs to be something German or Japanese.

I used to drive a Polo that would be as you described, they also have the advantage of being a much higher safety rating than the Punto (in that they actually offer some protection, having airbags in an older Fiat is like going skydiving without a parachute and aiming to land on a pillow)

The polos do have a few issues, especially with electrics and the gearbox although mine was always fine. Mechanically I think the only thing that can actually stop you from getting home is the gearbox thing, but it's much rarer than the electrical problems, and you can avoid it by not mincing the gears or resting your hand on the gearstick when driving.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Fabia, and it's actually based on the newer and even more reliable Polo model than the Polos you'd get for £500 are. It's a Polo with a cheap badge on it, and thus cheap and splendid.

My Polo never broke down in the 3 years I had it, although it did have work to be done at every MOT it was always wear and tear parts. You could get them serviced and repaired cheaply, and they are common cars so any independent should know how they work. Even on the last day I had it when I hit a pothole and totally bent the suspension and front wheel I was still able to drive 150 miles to the garage I'd already traded it in at.

I knew somebody with a Punto that was roughly as you describe, and I remember when we were going to Edinburgh (only 100 miles of dual carriageway from here) there was no debate over who should drive, he told me that he wouldn't enjoy taking his car on that journey. They are just not that great.

Although I think I probably had my Polo on a motorway approximately once, they are one of the only smaller cars of that age that can sit at 80-90mph and feel the same as a big car, which could be relevant if your commute involves motorways, which I assume it does if you are in England. Don't underestimate this point, modern small cars all feel fine and stable at speed but it was a big issue of cars of that age. I guess the same things that make the older polos stable on the motorway are the same things that make them one of the only small cars of the age with the high safety rating.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wasn't the R/S/T polo shape the one that was made somewhere like Portugal and was nowhere near as reliable as the rest of the vag cars of that era?

For a £500 car, I would recommend to get a toyota something or other. Will be bland and boring but hopefully should be fairly trouble free motoring.

Edit: For that kind of price you could get a micra 1.3. Basic but fun to drive.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 15th March 2010 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

nothing in my area for that price on the VW / Skoda front, thanks for the tips, will keep looking

d3xt0r

Thanks
    Karma Level

will pass on the micra, my brother has 1, its nippy but awful to drive

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have a 1.3 fiesta i bought 3 years ago for 750 squid.
    never once broke down on me. im gutted ive gotta get rid of it to be fair.
    so i recommend a fiesta for what you want to spend

ive just bought a 2 litre 406 hdi for 1100 so that i can take the babys stuff out with me now
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a Polo Coupe Fox many years back. Paid £400 for it, had it for roughly 2-3 years and it got me from A-B no problem. Had to do the A19 trip to and from Newcastle many times, I then traded it in for £500!

Yes it had it's problems... But nothing too big.. The Electrics were not the best and it would often loose power. A simple 5 minute stop and you were back up and running again. The petrol tank had a leak and the Speedo was broken..

Hang on, it was actually rather fooked lmfao. But it always started and always got me where I wanted to be. Did I mention the suspension too?

But it was a runaround and worked for that purpose.

6 months ago I started a similar thread... I ended up spending £13k on a car instead.... ooops.
    We all make mistakes sometimes