Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Xodus Xbox-Scene review

ive just been over to http://www.xbox-scene.com/ and they have done a review on the Xodus.

here is a copy and paste, thanks to xbox scene dude:

>> Here's my review of the Xodus/Matrix Modchip.

What's in the *********** package:
    -The Modchip
    -The Programmer
    -a Washer

What you need to install it:
    -a v1 Xbox (build prior August 2002)
    -a BIOS/Kernel
    -a TORX 10
    -a TORX 20
    -a 9V battery
    -milk (flashsofware for win32 and linux)
    -the xodus installation guide
    -good illumination in the room
    -concentration

First let's check what they advertise :
    *No Wires : true
    *No Solder : true
    *No technical experience needed at all : true
    *Flash upgradeable (with programmer - included) : true
    *All bios features currently available on competing "mods" (can use any bios) : true , no bios is included in the package thought. (but this is a good thing 'cause it keeps the Xodus/Matrix legal)

1. Flash the Modchip:
    I got no problems at all with this step. I connected the modchip with the programmer and the programmer with my PC (via LTP port).
    Downloaded milk (available for win32 & linux) and got a 256k bios/kernel image.
    I ran "wmilk -c -a ffc00000 -v -p mybios.bin" ... and it flashed the chip first , then it did an error-checking.
    Flashing the modchip is slower then with openxbox/pc-bioxx ... it takes about 2mins. (for 256k)
    You can only flash 256k-images , but all 'normal' bios/kernel releases (all evox , x-ecuter , enigmah , xtender , ...) are 256k so it's not a problem for normal users.
    If the bios you got is 1MB , don't worry ... it's 4x the same bios. Just split it in 4 parts and use the last part to flash.
    Only those who need a devbox bios/kernel (512k) will need to find another modchip.
    The modchip is also flashable via Xbox software , but the software isn't released yet , so at this moment you have to flash it with the Programmer connected to a PC.
    Also important is that the modchip has a "Xbox-flashing protection" , only in "Writing mode" (mode4) it will be possible to flash the modchip via xbox.

2.Install the Modchip:
    Opened my xbox and removed the dvd so I could easily access the LPC points.
    To be honnest : I had to try several times till I got a green led after fixing the screw , but once you get used to it you can install it in 10secs.
    The risk while installating it is very low , all you have to take care of is to ground yourself before the installation (duh) & not to scratch the motherboard while moving the chip.
    Remove the screw near the LPC and put the washer on it. Then put the Xodus on the motherboard and put the screw back.
    Screw till about 50% and make sure the 3 holes match the 3 points showed in the installation guide. It's easier to see if you point a small light between the modchip & motherboard.
    Power on your xbox and press on the pogo pins , if the led shows red , move it very(!) slighty till you get a green light.
    Keep the modchip into position and slowly screw till it's fixed. Don't overtighten the screw , there's no need to anyway , once it "feels harder to screw" the modchip is firmly fixed into position.

3.Testing:
    Put modchip into position2.
    Xbox booted fine , flashed bios/kernel was active.
    I tried to shake the xbox ... the modchip was still working fine afterwards.
    I managed to de-align the modchip by pushing with my fingers on one of the sides of the modchip. But once again ... there is no risk this would ever happen in 'reallife' ... the DVD-drive is on top of the modchip , so there's no way something or someone would push against the modchip.
    The pins are gold plated , so there should be no corrosion.

POSITIVE:
    + Easiest Xbox modchip installation
    + No soldering , everyone can install this mod
    + Low risk installation
    + Legal (the tool itself atleast)
    + Flashable
    + Xbox-flashing protection
    + No need to take the xbox motherboard out of the case
    + Very easy to remove

NEGATIVE:
    - Only 256k BIOS/Kernel (not a problem for normal users)
    - Price ($59 is the most expensive xbox modchip , but you get a quality modchip & Programmer ... compared to some PS2 modchips it's still very reasonable)
    (- Stability in the long term? - no problems whatsoever encountered , only the future will show how stable these spring pins connections are compared to normal soldered points)

Thanks
    Karma Level

that seems promising dont it, nice positive reveiw, and as they say very easy to install
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Would like 1, only for the flashability, but i got a x-ecuter installed and they r a bugger to remove. Guess ill stick with that

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by TAR
    Would like 1, only for the flashability, but i got a x-ecuter installed and they r a bugger to remove. Guess ill stick with that
    no dude, ust as easy taking it out as installing it

use solder de-braid, melt solder with iron and take it off with the de braid

simple

Thanks
    Karma Level

why take it out ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Raptor
    why take it out ?
    well , some ppl always want to have the latest , even if it's not the best ...

Thanks
    Karma Level

i want one of those...that easy? lol...just not too clear on the "spilt it into 4 and use the last part to flash"

and whats all that stuff he does like "Power on your xbox and press on the pogo pins , if the led shows red , move it very(!) slighty till you get a green light.
    Keep the modchip into position and slowly screw till it's fixed."

Thanks
    Karma Level

its the bios image you flash the chip with you have to split into 4, when you have the image, you just get a program that splits it into 4 for you, then you just use the 4th one, that easy m8

hustla m8, havent you seen the short video clip of a woman installing one, you put it into position, place the screw in, then turn the xbox on, the pins are gold plated pins under the chip that make contact with points on the board, these are the same points the x-ecuter uses, but as these are pins then no need to solder, then you just move it about and press on it a bit until the light goes green, then you know its done, red light shows its not seated properley.
    Last edited by Freaky; 3rd October 2002 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh ok...no i havent... do have the link for the video...i would appreciate that

Thanks
    Karma Level

right m8 here is the xodus homepage, link to the video is on there

LINK

Thanks
    Karma Level

They state on there website that this mod will work with ALL models of Xbox, does this incl. the new Xbox v2?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by CGJ007
    They state on there website that this mod will work with ALL models of Xbox, does this incl. the new Xbox v2?
    good question mate,

anyone know the answer?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i doubt it, because the xodus uses the same contact points as the x-ecuter and they couldnt get that going with the new revision xbox.

but when the new one gets cracked you could just flash the xodus with the new cracked bios, BUT will the old points still work or will it need totally new points on the board altogether.

sorry if this seems obvious to some of you but im not a brain surgeon and dont know about all the techno stuff.

ABCMan

the big problem is that all these flashable units are only as good as the software you can flash them with, since the x-ecuter is the best mod, 99% of people who buy this mod are going to pay twice the price of an x-ecuter then flash it with the x-ecuter bios as that is the bios that does everything most people will ever need.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep never a truer word spoken there abc man, ive seen posts where people have said oh this chip is shite and that chip is shite, but when asked what they use they say a homebrew flashed with the bios from a chip they say they dont like.

go figure

Thanks
    Karma Level

While a wholeheartedly agree with you, if any feature comes out which you "must" have, you'd need to buy a next generation mod, this way it's just a simple bios update.

I'm sure quite a few people would forget about xodus if the X-ecuter that was supposed to compete with PC-Bioxx came out (approximated at $25), so until then, with lik-sang down, Xodus is the only option, and it's not bad especially for those without any soldering skills whatsoever.
    blah blah blah = blah^3

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i have ordered mine should get it next week
    ThAnX

DA RISH

Thanks
    Karma Level

i saw the videos...now i know what they mean by lights,...i thought they were talkin bout the one outside...the eject button lol...i might pick one up from easy buy but i dont wanna give out my credit card number so ill get an x-ecuter from

http://www.xbox-modchips-copy-games.com/

cause they do "mail-in"

ABCMan

Originally posted by sonar
    While a wholeheartedly agree with you, if any feature comes out which you "must" have, you'd need to buy a next generation mod, this way it's just a simple bios update.
    The only BIG problem with that arguement is that EVERYTHING that can be done with the xbox bios is done now, there are no new secrets to find or bugs to fix, nothing more to know so what new chip (with new bios) is going to appear (apart from ones to fix upgrades to the hardware, which would also need a new flash modchip too). and when a new mod comes out, its a while before it gets ripped to an .bin image so that means that instead of having the latest bios you actualy are always one step behind (unless you use the x-ecuter bios, which came out before any of the flash bios chips apart from homebrew)