Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The end of Cancer ?

This looks very interesting to say the least

http://gizmodo.com/5501103/this-is-t...against-cancer

This Is the Future of the Fight Against Cancer

Look close. You may be staring at the end of cancer. Those tiny black dots are nanobots delivering a lethal blow to a cancerous cell, effectively killing it. The first trial on humans has been a success, with no side-effects:

It sneaks in, evades the immune system, delivers the siRNA, and the disassembled components exit out.

Those are the words of Mark Davis, head of the research team that created the nanobot anti-cancer army at the California Institute of Technology. According to a study to be published in Nature, Davis' team has discovered a clean, safe way to deliver RNAi sequences to cancerous cells. RNAi (Ribonucleic acid interference) is a technique that attacks specific genes in malign cells, disabling functions inside and killing them.
    The 70-nanometer attack bots—made with two polymers and a protein that attaches to the cancerous cell's surface—carry a piece of RNA called small-interfering RNA (siRNA), which deactivates the production of a protein, starving the malign cell to death. Once it has delivered its lethal blow, the nanoparticle breaks down into tiny pieces that get eliminated by the body in the urine.

The most amazing thing is that you can send as many of these soldiers as you want, and they will keep attaching to the bad guys, killing them left, right, and center, and stopping tumors. According to Davis, "the more [they] put in, the more ends up where they are supposed to be, in tumour cells." While they will have to finish the trials to make sure that there are no side-effects whatsoever, the team is very happy with the successful results and it's excited about what's coming:

What's so exciting is that virtually any gene can be targeted now. Every protein now is druggable. My hope is to make tumours melt away while maintaining a high quality of life for the patients. We're moving another step closer to being able to do that now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The end of Cancer ?

I'm pretty sure anyone who has been diagnosed as terminal wouldn't mind taking the risk of the side effects.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    I'm pretty sure anyone who has been diagnosed as terminal wouldn't mind taking the risk of the side effects.
    Too right, better Borg than dead!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The words "evades the immune system" are a little chilling!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    The words "evades the immune system" are a little chilling!
    Glad it's not just me that thought this.

Very interesting, and I would be interested in learning more about this although I am sure most will go straight over my head. Unfortunately, as everyone has a price, this may well go quiet soon, after one of the big pharma's with a financial interest in ongoing cancer treatment buys them out or shuts them up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cancer cells are in every human. It's our lifestyle & wellbeing that determines their outcome.

A positive mental attitudeis a good start to a healthy lifestyle...

AND NO, I'm not being funny, IT IS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, only diabetes and heart disease to go then and we can all eat Krispy Kreme for breakfast, dinner and tea. Yay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Krispy Kreme for breakfast, dinner and tea. Yay.
    Your illustration gives one VERY possible end for us...

We may say "Dirty fucking animals" to some species, but then look at human glutony.

BTW, I'm not God..lol. just a dude who appreciates life and his mrs & kids..

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is no money in a cure, only treatment.

You'll have to top-up your nano bots every few months to keep them upto date!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some futher info:
    information

Information

There is now proof that a Nobel Prize-winning technology can deliver targeted therapy directly to cancer tumor cells, say a team of California Institute of Technology researchers led by Mark Davis, who published their findings in Nature. Their clinical trial showed that a specialized polymer nanoparticle injected into patients' bloodstreams did indeed carry a genetic off-switch message to cancer cells, rendering their proteins unable to replicate.
    "The importance here is being able to model and target the protein," research team member Antoni Ribas, associate professor of medicine and surgery at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, told TechNewsWorld.
    Now that the nanotech-based method has been demonstrated, researchers can start working with it to develop therapies not only for cancers, but also for degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and metabolic disorders such as diabetes, study team member Yun Yen, associate director for translational research at the City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, told TechNewsWorld.

Hidden Proteins

Researchers already knew that disabling cancer cells from replicating might hold the key to important advances in treatment. However, prior to this clinical trial, they had trouble targeting the specific proteins building the cells, which sometimes remain hidden in the folds of genetic strands.
    This is where a discovery more than a decade old comes in. Nobel Prize winners Andrew Fire and Craig Mello found that shutting down cancer genes was easier when using RNA interference. This method uses double-stranded small interfering RNA chains (siRNAs) to cut the messenger RNA cancer cells use to repliate, rather than the RNA or DNA itself.
    Researchers Fire and Craig made their discovery in worms, though, and before now, no one had shown that the siRNAs could be introduced into humans and make their way to targeted cancer cells.
    Now, Davis, Ribas, and their team have the pictures to prove that they've used nanoparticles to deliver siRNAs directly to cancer cells and that the siRNAs have indeed interfered with the cancer cells' ability to multiply. Electronic microscopy has captured images of the nanoparticles around and even within the cancer cells.
    Safety First

The research is part of a Phase I clinical trial of the new therapy, in which potential treatments are first checked for safety in human subjects. Fifteen patients overall were involved, Ribas told TechNewsWorld. All had cancer, although their tumors varied in type.
    Only three of the patients had cancerous cells biopsied to demonstrate the efficacy of the nanoparticles and siRNA, noted Ribas.
    These patients had melanoma, a skin cancer, and thus the cells were easier to reach for biopsy, he explained.
    The next step is for researchers to enroll more patients and complete Phase II and III clinical trials, Ribas said.
    Hitting the Bullseye

The cancer cell proteins targeted by the nanoparticle-delivered agent were indeed split at exactly the place the researchers intended, Davis said. This is the first time this mechanism has been demonstrated in humans, and its implications stretch to many forms of cancer and farther afield into other diseases.

"In principal," Davis said, "that means every protein now is druggable because its inhibition is accomplished by destroying the mRNA."
    The problem for researchers up to now has been getting the interference chemicals into the cells themselves -- in this case, cancer cells. Davis' team has developed a unique polymer that can self-assemble into a nanoparticle that contains the siRNA. The team has shown that the nanoparticles reach cells in different concentrations based on different doses, which means that there are possibilities for tailoring dosages of disease-fighting siRNA on a disease-by-disease, or even patient-by-patient, basis.
    Now that a delivery platform has been established, Yen said, researchers need not stop at delivering agents that interfere with cell growth. They can also develop ways to repair the cellular damage caused by aging.
    "We also could deliver a gene to rejuvenate the cell," he said. "In this study, we already can see that we can inhibit a cell; what I'm saying is that we also can enhance it."

>>Source<<
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    Wish my dad could have this offered to him, was diagnosed last week with a tumor and it could be in 2 places. His pancreas or his colon.

Has to go for a camera to see where it is today. Hope they find good news, but he was told its terminal.

As others have posted, Cancer would have been cured time ago if it wasn't for the money grabbing bastards that develop the drugs and want to keep their cash cow going.

-=AD=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Wish my dad could have this offered to him, was diagnosed last week with a tumor and it could be in 2 places. His pancreas or his colon.

Has to go for a camera to see where it is today. Hope they find good news, but he was told its terminal.

As others have posted, Cancer would have been cured time ago if it wasn't for the money grabbing bastards that develop the drugs and want to keep their cash cow going.

-=AD=-
    Sorry to hear this my friend. Hope you and your family are ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Unfortunately, as everyone has a price, this may well go quiet soon, after one of the big pharma's with a financial interest in ongoing cancer treatment buys them out or shuts them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    There is no money in a cure, only treatment.

You'll have to top-up your nano bots every few months to keep them upto date!

-=AD=-
    I've read this a lot on here and other places online, and also heard people talking about it in 'the real world'.

I can understand the logic, and can imagine that it could happen......but I just really hope that it isn't true. I just find it so hard to truly believe that supposedly intelligent and almost visonary scientists and business people could be so vindictive and uncaring, to slow the progress of the human race and play with so many peoples lives, just over money.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my dad had his camera work done today (Hes been an Arse model for the day )

All is clear on the colon front and surrounding areas. He had 3 polyps removed which aren't cancerous so its looking good.

He now has to have a follow up to check his pancreas and liver. But going off other peoples experiences of this on the net its very positive.

Just hope he can stop worrying about it now and look to the future hes still got, and get a good nights sleep.

-=AD=-

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my dad had his camera work done today (Hes been an Arse model for the day )

All is clear on the colon front and surrounding areas. He had 3 polyps removed which aren't cancerous so its looking good.

He now has to have a follow up to check his pancreas and liver. But going off other peoples experiences of this on the net its very positive.

Just hope he can stop worrying about it now and look to the future hes still got, and get a good nights sleep.

-=AD=-
    pleased for yer, i know how worring this can be m8.
    All the best.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

-=AD=-
    Stay strong dude, my mum died of lung cancer a few years ago and she did'nt even smoke. Since then I give away a large chunk to Cancer Research every month - just doing my bit.