Close

Thread: which DSLR?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default which DSLR?

i had a fuji S2PRO a few years ago, didn't use it much and sold it,

now i really want to get back into photography.
    having seen some of the pictures on here and having had a play with some cameras, i really fancy a canon eos500d or even a 550d (i recon i might be able to wangle it passed the taxman as a business asset )
    what would you do in my place?

i am just learning, will not go pro.
    i like the idea of taking 1080p video (only the 550d does that at full 30 fps) - will i use it much? -i doubt it but i like the idea.
    i am in the camp of more pixels = better, the 550d has 18megapixels.

sometime next month i will have a max of £800 to spend on a camera,
    it must be usable by the wife as well, she also likes the canon range.
    she tried my mates eos500d on full auto settings, got some cracking shots and said she wouldn't mind one of those - i would rather the 550d due to the higher MP and better HD video framerate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: which DSLR?

i'm always tempted to get the newest available toy (whatever it is), but I'd be tempted to get the 500d if I were you - just as it will give you some change to get other things like filters, bags, memory cards, or an extra lens etc

you can get the 500D for £560 at Dixons using the code Easter5

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1018.html

if you get the one your wife wants as well, you'll get some brownie points, and you can then splash some more cash

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would look at the 500D also, I did hear that the frame rate is a firmware fixable item so could be 30fps in the future (probably only when they have sold enough 550D's). mp value doesn't really matter that much and possibly makes things worse on boddies in this range with crop sensors squezzing so many in can cause problems with noise and the ISO performance is no where near that of the higher end cameras so noise can be an issue.

Saveing the cash will allow for extras, a battery grip makes a huge difference, I have a canon one on my 500D and an aftermarket one on a 450D and the canon one is miles better things like the jog wheel feels crap on the other, gaps between the rubber grippy bits and the plastic and that when the grip controls are switched on the camera controls don't work, that may be a 450D/500D thing I will try the aftermarket grip on the 500D and let you know.
    Extra batteries, I use Enigizer ones loads of places sell them about £13 each I think and they last just as well as the canon ones.
    Bags, I asked about bags when I got mine and a reply from Bertroot said he had 3 crumpler bags I was thinking why 3, I currently have 2 and am looking for a 3rd bag myself, as your kit grows it needs more space in a bag to fit in.
    Filters, I am yet to buy a filter for my main lenses (PC world are selling some for decent prices if your looking) they use a 77mm thread and they cost a small fortune so I am a little more cautious when it comes to buying them.
    Ohh yeah extra lenses an 18-55mm is never enough £3k later I think I have all the ones I want, well they will cover most situations I will ever need.
    Never mind an external flash gun they do make a huge difference, I always thought a flash was a flash but getting it further away from the lense really improves things.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the advice guys.
    looks like i will get the 500d,
    i spoke to a friend today and he said he would have a look round at work to see if he can get a good deal for me - turns out he works at comet, his staff discount is rather good apparently

he's going to let me know at the start of next week

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't forget camera pricebuster when looking for prices, and places like currys will price match and beat any local prices. I used Jessops sale and went to currys and got it even cheaper.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks everyone, i managed to get a 500d for a cracking price today (i promised my m8 i wouldnt tell anyone how good the price was )

next on my shopping list will be lenses i guess.
    it came with the EF-S 18-55 IS lens and i would like to get some really close up macro shots (like the ones on here showing flies heads) & i would like to take some longer range pictures as i like to go to airshows (model + full size)
    what lenses should be on my list?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

prepare to splash some cash

for macro (ask bilbo and dp) you'd probably want a macro lens and some extension tubes. they both use the sigma 105mm. I've got the 100mm canon, and in the middle of getting some tubes. there are other cheaper alternatives though

for longer stuff, you've got loads of choices, but i may be tempted into selling my canon 70-300 IS
    soon.

it all depends on your budget, but there's loads of reviews available.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i would say slow down a bit (unless you have pots of cash) and make use of what you have, almost everyone who gets a DSLR seems to want to buy a macro lens from day one and at the end of the day, macro photography is a relativity limited field that you could get bored of very quickly. I bought a super wideangle lens, a 20mm prime and a 50mm primeas well as the 2 I usually use and they spend the majority of their time in the bag.

If you are into airshows, getting a longer range lens first makes more sense really, as you have an already existing interest to use it on you are less likely to get bored, unless you have a fly's eyeball fetish already too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

agree with 909, I spent £350 on a macro I hardly use and £90 on a sigma 70-300 I use loads !! wish I had done it the other way round

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL, this is the expensive bit now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by willp2003 View Post
    prepare to splash some cash

for macro (ask bilbo and dp) you'd probably want a macro lens and some extension tubes. they both use the sigma 105mm. I've got the 100mm canon, and in the middle of getting some tubes. there are other cheaper alternatives though

for longer stuff, you've got loads of choices, but i may be tempted into selling my canon 70-300 IS
    soon.

it all depends on your budget, but there's loads of reviews available.
    fair comments from all and thanks for the advice.
    willp2003 - what sort of price would you be asking for the 70-300 is?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i can't make up my mind whether to sell it or not. it rarely gets used, but it's handy to know it's there.
    i'd probably let it go for £250, but I'll stick it in the classifieds if i decide to sell.