Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New camera - 7D

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New camera - 7D

I got myself a new camera on Thursday and shiny 18mp HD capable Canon 7D.
    Was hoping to give a little review of here this week, but I can't as I have killed it already. It looks like I have been sold a not so rare Lemon flavoured version of the camera, luckily I brought of from my local jessops and not an over sea's or drop shipper supplier so am taking it back tomorrow for a direct replacement or upgrade to 5dmkii.
    From what I had time to play with it felt good, solid in the hand and rugid Pic quality was good, pin sharp but a little noisier than my 40d at similar iso's but the fact htye cleaned ok easy and the iso setting goes to 12800 is great and forgivable. Wireless flash was easy to set up but it still fires the pop up flash flash no matter what setting you use which is very annoying and off putting. Didn't try the HD video. But will do. But one day i will.
    Overall I am marginally impressed with but disapointed that it broke and quality of images is not as some claim, it could be my copy of the body we shall wait and see.

Oh, the reason for it dying is a common one with 7d's apparently. Err 01's between body and lens, focus lock and operation fail. No good.
    Thank christ i paid slightly more than a HK supplier (£60 in total after quidco cash back) and have the ability to get it exhanged on Monday.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New camera - 7D

Sorry to hear about the fail Matt.

To be honest, when buying a full body, I'd only ever consider a UK based supplier and would always be willing to pay a little more. Glad you do the same.

Hope you get a good one back and look forward to seeing the images. I've seen some nice ones from the 7D in other places.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that it is fate telling you to get the 5d mk2...!!!

You know it makes sense..!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bummer!! That's EXACTLY the sort of luck I usually have!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

No 5d mkii, I got a replacement 7d today, after a little hassle with the manager of our local jessops.

I took it in after phoning them to explain the situation, spoke the to the very helpful and knowledgable lad who sold it to me. No worries I thought, so off I went into town. Got into Jessops to find said lad on break but the manager was there to deal with it. He picked the camera up, put on his lens (Sigma 28-70mm I think) and proceced to play. No sign of the camera showing any of the faults I had experienced. He phone's canon and explains the issue. not asking me once but speaking at me not to me. Lots of yes, um, oh I see and that's a fault then type response to the man on the phone. he then puts down the phone and says and I quote
    "Canon tech support says to only use Canon lenses on this model for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Using non canon lenses will cause these issues."
    With this I almost lose my rag but bit my lip and stood firm polietly asking for a direct replacement for the 7D today and not having to wait another few weeks, I then explained that this error is common on a batch of 7D's and this issue could easily be found over several forums on the net and the lenses I have have are more than compatable with the 7D. He then goes to check on the net but suprise surprise his internet connection is down.
    Begrudgingly he does give me a direct replacement but obviously ain't happy about it.
    What a complete arse.
    So I now have a new 7D just waiting to put through it's paces. if this one fails I am going to bypass the local store and take this matter to either canon or someone higher in jessops.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quick update, now on body no.3!
    This one seems to be fine at present. but...
    Despite my inital teething problems with the body i am just processing some images from a recent wedding and I am blown away by the differences between the 40d and 7d images. The &d is much sharper, defined and vibrant and it's not just the setting in camera, they just look and feel so much better.
    Will post some results in the next week or so.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Body 3, that's some faulty kit Wingnut, judging by your profession i'd say you take several bodies on your wedding shoots, just as well as you wouldn't want the 7d to fail during a shoot, i'd say send it back and get something different , ive heard a lot of bad stories with the 7d. would be interesting to see the difference in quality though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aw I was looking at dipping my toe in the DSLR market with a 7D, I'm not so sure now...

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

get a 5d mk11 waka, you wont be disappointed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

agreed.
    Maybe with a 24-70mm lens though if money isnt an issue. The extra lenght wont be missed due to the quality of the image allowing better cropping if needed!

Plus all that sexy 2.8 goodness, hmmm yeahhh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cybollox View Post
    get a 5d mk11 waka, you wont be disappointed.
    Hmmm, tempting.

Like - full frame, I've been waiting for a decent full-frame camera for a long time.

Don't like - only 3.9 fps, very poor compared with the 7d :-(

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The 5DII is nowhere near as versatile as the 7D. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 7D Matt. Still ain't putting me off one though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My woes and troubles are behind me now. 7d rocks, period.

Don't take this the wrong way Waka but...

Aw I was looking at dipping my toe in the DSLR market with a 7D, I'm not so sure now...
    Implies to me that you have never owned a dslr before? So....
    Like - full frame, I've been waiting for a decent full-frame camera for a long time.
    What makes you want ff over cropped if you have never owned either? I have only used cropped and have no complaints (Other than 2 duff 7d's), you got a much wider choice of glass.

What are you primarily going to be shooting as this can have a bearing on what body and glass you buy. If you are only shooting still life and portrait work then 3.9fps isn't a problem, if it's motorsports then go 1dMkV1.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Useful stuff, thanks.

You're right, never had a DSLR before. I'm old school and still use my Canon A1 and used to use my dad's darkroom

I've always thought digital was a compromise over 35mm (even though it wins hands down in the convenience stakes!), but just recently the cost/performance has got me interested in the DSLR market. I guess I always wanted FF because I can get my head round it with respect to the focal lengths of lenses, Did I say I was old school? lol

I'd consider the 1d if I made my living out of photography, but now I've swung back round to the 7d. This is worse than the election!

Thanks again,
    W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

35mm will always be superior in terms of feel and tonal range. Nothing will ever beat a roll of HP5 and my A1 with the 28mm f/1.8 prime lens. But as you say in this dispoable age who is ever going to spend £36.99 on 10 rolls of 36 exposure film then £4.00 per roll getting them developed and then scanning them or getting them printed. DSLR will always win on a cost per click issue. Early DSLR's were not a patch on todays and looking at my 7d's images with the right processing they are getting close. If you want serious quality then a medium format hasselblad HD4 is the way forward but i don't have a spare £15k+ to burn just yet.... Don't worry about the focal lengths on cropped sensor if you want the same as on 35mm and you are using primes just go for 28mm instead of 35mm or take a step back. I think a vague understand of "Ah a zoom of around 35mm is needed to capture this entire scene in" scenarios is a lot more than most will ever grasp .
    You know you want a 7D. Do it. if pennies are tight I am going to be selling my 30d with 18-55 is kit lens in the next week. Keep an eye on on the DF classifieds.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right, I can't resist any longer and I've decided I need a 7d

I presume some of the cheaper places (too cheap?) are selling grey imports. Is there any difference to the UK sourced ones? Is the warranty the same (1 year?) on both?

Wingnut, do jessops still price match?

Thanks,
    W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are a member of TP drop kerso a pm for a price.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    If you are a member of TP drop kerso a pm for a price.
    TP? which I presume means I'm not a member!

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

email him on kerso1123@msn.com, he was doing a 7d for £1095 body only.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I chose Jessops as they did 12 months interest free credit. Why pay all in one lump sum if they will allow me to hold onto the wonga for longer, plus they had it in stock and I am impatient. Also when shelling out 1.2k on a new body I wanted to make I sourced UK stock in case of any issues, which i had and have to return it. I have used kerso before and trust him, but you then have to deal with canon direct if you get a lemon flavoured copy or something goes wrong. With mine I rocked back up to the shop I brought it from and got an exchange same day. My Sigma 70-200mm is a grey import and away for repair at present and they are getting a little shitty about time scale on the job. 3-4 weeks at present! Normaly they quote 7-10 days. Could be high work load or something else but makes you wonder.
    I don't mind getting certain things on grey import but for that much money and what you really save.Is it worth it?
    Jessops are currently £1195 at my local for the 7d a saving on £100 on kerso, plus Kerso charges delivery and doesn't do 12 months interest free. Another good place is Mifsuds I just brought a 70-200mm L f/2.8 from them and they did me a spanking deal on it. UK stock and delivery next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast