Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Keano may never go back.....

The Football Association of Ireland's attempt to resurrect Roy Keane's international career is in danger of descending into another public embarrassment. Though the FAI confidently expects Keane to return after Mick McCarthy's resignation, the Guardian has learned he has serious reservations about whether he is equipped, at 31 and with a history of serious injury, to cope with the combined rigours of club and international football.
    Keane will wait until McCarthy's successor is named before deciding, but it is now apparent he will have to be hugely enamoured with the appointment if he is to add to his 58 caps. Although there is an emotional pull, Keane will not let that influence his decision and has told his advisers that his "first loyalty lies with Sir Alex Ferguson and the people who pay my wages".

Keane, moreover, will have been distinctly unimpressed by the disclosure yesterday that Peter Reid, having rejec ted Sheffield Wednesday, is among those being considered to fill the Irish vacancy, with Niall Quinn as his assistant.

Reid, a close friend of McCarthy's, vehemently criticised the Manchester United captain while working as a television analyst during the World Cup, and Keane's relationship with Quinn disintegrated over the summer. Although Michael Kennedy, the London-based solicitor who represents both players, has tried to instigate a reconciliation, the lingering friction would all but extinguish any hopes of a Keane comeback.

Brendan Menton, the FAI's general secretary, has yet to contact Kennedy but he and his colleagues had been encouraged by the comments in Keane's recent autobiography that "if someone else comes in, I will look at it again".

However, well-placed sources revealed yesterday that Keane remains undecided and has spoken of his desire to spend more time with his wife Theresa and their four young children.

Ireland's defeats in their first two matches in the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign will not deter him: his winning mentality is such that he will be adamant they can still reach the finals. But Keane is concerned that a return to the team could have repercussions on his club career.

He has described himself as an "old 31-year-old" with one rebuilt knee, and long-standing hip and back problems. Nevertheless, Keane may just decide that the opportunity might be too good to turn down and he will not be deterred by the reports of a potential players' revolt. McCarthy's departure has clearly upset the vast majority of his squad, but Jason McAteer summed up the mood yesterday when he said that, for the sake of Irish football, they would welcome Keane back: "He is a world-class player and we are going to benefit from having him."

Joe Kinnear is the bookmakers' favourite for the job but Luton have received no approach and the out-of-work John Toshack remains a more likely candidate.

Reports from Spain yesterday suggested Toshack has already been offered the post on a six-year contract but is debating whether or not he wants to commit to a long-term deal. Although the Welshman, who has tasted success over the years with Real Madrid, Deportivo La Coruna, Real Sociedad and Besiktas, is understood to be keen to get back into management, he is notoriously wary of long-term contracts.

Toshack has reportedly told the FAI that he will give his response by early next week. He has been out of work since March after Real Sociedad's relegation struggles cost him his job.

The former Ireland striker John Aldridge applied yesterday and Bryan Robson also wants the job.

Ireland have almost five months before their next qualifier, in Georgia, and Menton said it was unlikely there would be a quick appointment. "We will be happy to consider a foreign manager," he added. "It's vital we get the right man."

ABCMan

He doesnt deserve to play for ireland again, and i doubt he's equipped for the shit he'll take from the other players without fergies minders there either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes once again you have posted and mound of steaming turd

i'm sure every ireland fan, player and FAI member does not want 1 of the most influencial players in the world playing for them.

yeah right

wake up and smell the coffee and while your at it check out the smell of all that shyte

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont reckon they should have keano back in the fold.

its obviously gonna be an english man that replaces McCarthy at the helm (Bryan Robson?). So i dont think that the racist remarks that Keano alledgedly made will make him flavour of the month.

sorry to say - but the FA of EIRE must make an example of Keane here and tell him to **** off. Roy Keane is a hippocrite. One one hand he is whinging at the Prawn sandwhich contingent of old trafford. then on the other, when it suits him, he is whining about the way EIRE travel to and from and where they train. EIRE are second rate national team, and i think they train and stay wel within the status.
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

ABCMan

@major fu, you are joking right?

Many players have ended their international careers for saying/doing far, far less than that dirty thug keane, so i think maybe you should take off your nice rose tinted specs and see the shit spread out in front of you, with regard to both this post and the other, you seem to think that because he plays for scum u he is infallable, he isnt.

Fergie (in collusion with the fa) has for the last ten years consistently defended the indefensable and got away with the most minor of punishments for both himself and his players, i appreciate that scum u is the largest club in the world, but it is also one if not the most powerful too and its not afraid to use its position to get a favourable decision, its players cheat and foul with the best of them but escape the kinds of punishment dished out to minor transgressors in other clubs.

That is the truth,BTW the only shit i need to smell is when i go to bowlers.