Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Should I Quit My Job!!!?

Hey there people!

I work in an office about 40 miles away from where i live and i own a piece of shit car that only starts when it feels like it!! i dont particuarly enjoy my job in the slightest and am only staying until i find something better, The dilema i have now is do i quit now whilst i still can and find another job or do i wait until i find a job hoping i dont get the sack before hand cos of my fu(kin car and have on my CV that i got saced for absence!!?

please give me your opinions!

TheFincher

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

ABCMan

if you quit you will get no dole so you will be realy screwed, try getting up early enough to ensure that you can make it if your car doesnt start.

even if you quit what are you going to put on your cv? that you quit because your car wouldnt start, companies dont like quitters any more than those who were sacked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree with ABC, its much harder to find a good job when you are unemployed, whether deliberate or otherwise, it definitely goes against you at interview. Been there and got the T-shirt.

I personally would be more inclined to hunt around and find someone reasonably priced who can sort out the starting problems with your car, or perhaps see if a personal loan is available to upgrade it. It certainly can't help with the enjoyment of your job, if you find it stressful getting to work everyday.
    Last edited by rolfw; 11th November 2002 at 12:58 PM.
    rolfw.....Formerly Neverallocat

Thanks
    Karma Level

yea but he can always right something else about why he left, at the end of the day no company can usually be arsed to check references, or ur qualifications.

They just want infront of them a gud cv that tells them everything they want to hear, almost everyone had a job before applying for a new one but with some1 who was sacked they are probably not even going to consider giving you an interview.

All they want to see usually is sum1 who prattles all this shit about wanting to achieve goals, be part of a motivated team that loves to maximise efficiency etc, if you can give them a gud reason for leaving your last job they usually wont care about checking you.

I wouldnt quit your job unless u are pretty certain you're going to get sacked though so i wud try and find alternative means of transport or get your car fixed, hell by a bicycle if u have to but try to avoid geting sacked, thats the worse case scenario.

Basically as long as u talk the talk in a cv and interview, no matter if you are telling a few porkies, the employer probably wont know or even care, this part gets u through the door if u cnt do the job u will be leaving.

-Bez
    Last edited by Bez625; 11th November 2002 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bez 625. Have you ever thought of going into politics. You would get my god damn vote.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thought about it an then thought nah, dont wanna be thought of as a tw@t

-Bez

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Bez625
    thought about it an then thought nah, dont wanna be thought of as a tw@t

-Bez
    too late :

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol ok thought of as a tw@t by ppl other than u

-Bez

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mate i was in a job i hated, i did the foolish thing, left a company i hated, went on holiday came back and struck it lucky, the other members of the department i was in, still havent got work....(now 1 year later)......ride it out... get ya motor sorted out, apply left right and center to job agencies/recriutment consulatance... above all mate ... please keep your options open......good luck.
    Antec Sonata with antec 350W TP
    Asus K8N Deluxe E
    A64 XP3200+
    512 PC3200
    CONNECT3D 9800 PRO (artic cooler rev 3)
    system noise : 19 dBa
    4Mb Cable
    -
    White PSP (JP Value Pack) 3.80 M33-4
    2gb (Genuine sandisk)

Thanks
    Karma Level

so did u go on holiday come back an get a gud job, whilst all the others didnt, or they were lucky an ur still lukin for work?

-Bez

Thanks
    Karma Level

we all went to spain for 2 weeks
    (we were all un-employed for 2 weeks before hand)

when we got back to the uk, i started hunting around and had a few good words put in for me at this other company, it took another month till i got the job. (it was a competitor of the company i was working for).. (i was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.....)

i was unemployed for 2 months... i loved it at first, however after 2 weeks of doing naff-all it had to change, not having a job changes you mate... beleive me

ive since tried countless times to get me mates hooked up, one is now a waitress in a restaurant!! the other is a night delivery (paper) driver and the other guy is on his ass at home!!

2 of us had an it back round (me and the mate who is now driving)
    1 was a dept manager (now unemployed)
    1 was a post room and co-ordinator..

so please mate, grit your teeth and get your self sorted.
    Antec Sonata with antec 350W TP
    Asus K8N Deluxe E
    A64 XP3200+
    512 PC3200
    CONNECT3D 9800 PRO (artic cooler rev 3)
    system noise : 19 dBa
    4Mb Cable
    -
    White PSP (JP Value Pack) 3.80 M33-4
    2gb (Genuine sandisk)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

go to agree its easier to get a job while working it always looks better

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

robert the bruce once said! if at first you dont sucseed try try again!

Thanks
    Karma Level

F**k it, pack the job in and just lie in bed all day eating crisps and drinking flavoured milk.

Thanks
    Karma Level

F**k it, pack the job in and just lie in bed all day eating crisps and drinking flavoured milk.
    For everyones information, he is now doing the above!!! :signs:

Thanks
    Karma Level

F**k it, pack the job in and just lie in bed all day eating crisps and drinking flavoured milk
    I see you have also seen the light

Lost

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear your situation M8, nothin worse than having to drag yourself out of bed in the morning to go to a job you hate. That said, it is NEVER a good idea to resign without having a job to go to. What the other guys have said about sticking it out till you find something better is spot on. Try this web site, it's one of the best, and most agencies advertise jobs on it. Just select your area of interest and use the search engine. I always just try searching on an area first like KENT and see how many hits I get and if it's too many then just put more definition into the search.

http://www.jobserve.com

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Woops; 14th November 2002 at 05:07 PM.
    DONUTS :) ------ Is there anything they can't do ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

I detect from your post m8 signs of stress - off down the docs with you to get him to sign you off (a couple of months should do it) - you could spend the time constructivley seeking employment not forgetting the occasional vitally important stress relieving afternoons down the pub (or doing whatever rocks your boat).

Worked a treat for a mate of our lasses she got signed for a year and went and did all sorts of courses and now is doing stuff she really enjoys,

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quit the job. There smore important things in life than work. Trust me, even if you quit and dont find anything for awhile, your options are still open.

In the last three years I have had almost 2 full years off work (without Dole).

I worked at my local Odeon for 2 years while doing my A-Levels which was good, I then left that to take some time off over the summer. This resulted in a 6 month break.

I then started working for DSG HQ (Dixons) in their Software - Console Dept as a Catagory Assistant. I can tell you now, I hated every minute of it. I've never worked with more jumped up little hitlers in my life. Directors shared the same office with us, so me being a friendly guy used to say "Hello" to them first thing in the morning when they walked past my desk. Instead of a warm "Hello" back, they used to just turn their nose up and walk on by. The work load was stupid too. When I was employed I was supposed to be the Catagory Assistant for PSX and Dreamcast. After awhile that became PSX, PS2 and DC. Then PSX, PS2, DC and N64. Then Finally the last straw when I was having to handle PSX, PS2, N64, GBA, DC and Peripherals!! This was far too much for one person to handle. It seemed the more I did the more they gave me.
    Anyway, I lasted 7 months in that position, which turned out to be the longest anyone had lasted, which I was quite proud of.

After my expirience with DSG I felt quite demotivated. I couldn't face going back to a office enviroment just incase they were all like Dixons was. This led me to take more than a year off work. Alot of my time was spent in the DF IRC channel, helping building NFOrce.nl into the site it is today and for the majority, sleeping.
    Things happened during that year that caused the thought of work to become the last thing on my mind. As the trend seems to be these days, my parents seperated (Divorce coming soon... . I felt that I took this quite well and thought that I was unaffected. Looking back, this demotivated me even further. If this hand't have happend I most likely would have got back on my feet even quicker.

Anyway, over a year had passed since leaving Dixons. I was skint, felt like shite due to too much sleep and not enough fresh air. Technically I was stuck in a rut. My friends hardly came round and when they did they just used to nag on at me to find some work. In the end I had enough.
    Due to the constant nagging and lack of funds I finally dragged my sorry ass down to Kelly Services the temping agency.
    I wasn't after anything in perticular. I just wanted to see it they had anything semi decent to keep me ticking over. They got me to fill in a quick form and then matched my CV to a job that sounded really promising at BT. They faxed my CV over to them and sent me on my way.
    That was on a Wednesday Afternoon. Whie on my way back from Kelly's I got a phone call on my mobile from them saying that they loved my CV and would like to see me for a interview the next day, 10am!.
    Well, I almost fainted. To be out of work that long and have a employer that eager to see me was a real shocker.
    The interview was awesome, I knew withing the first 5 mins that I had the job. To be honest I had a idea I had ti well befor then, but it was the interview that tipped me off. My boos, who interviewed me was amazed that I had been unemployed for that long, as someone with my skills is in high demend (not blowing me own horn).

Anyway, I've waffled enough now. The whole point I'm getting at is that there is always a job out there, no matter what your past background is. It's now been 4 months since I joined BT, and I'm now earning over 260 quid a week (after tax) and loving every minute of it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

getting the sack is not the end of the world, keep looking for another job, as has been said before, if you get the push at least you can sign on striaght away!!

good luck mate!
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."