Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Migraine / Cluster Headaches

Does anyone who sufferes either of these have any self help/advice on prevention or treatment.

These occour almost daily and are the most painfull thing I have ever experienced.... I have been to the docs but getting treatment is a trial and error process.

I have been given pizotifen which in some cases prevents them but for me it did not and the side effects were terrible(insomnia, tiredness, dizziness, dry mouth etc).

Codine has little effect, NSAID's make no difference so I am now willing to listen to advice (nothing to stupid) of anyone who has experience of these.....

Thank
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Migraine / Cluster Headaches

I have a friend at work who used to suffer from these terribly... Until he tried acupuncture.

It's about £20 a session, and he goes once a month, but since he's done this they haven't bothered him at all.

Worth a shot, I reckon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

from personal experience imigran sub cut injection is the bollocks!!! i used to suffer from migraines and on a couple of occasions had 'complex migrain', few minutes after injecting the imigran the migraine was completely gone, because its expensive and i was using it on an almost daily basis i was put on propanolol 10mg tds as a prophalaxis which for the past 10 years, whilst not completely stopping the migraine, the one i get every 6 months or so is no worse than a generally bad headache.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ Ganty. I have considered accupuncture in the past but I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to this kind of treatment. I will say that now these migraines have got to this stage I am willing to consider alterative therapies. Will have a look in the directory for one close by to get a bit of advice. Like you say for £20 it's worth a try.

@crazyadi. I have seen the imigran tablets in the chemists and I would assume they do a similar thing but take longer to work but I am after prevention rather than treatment really. I have told the docs that I don't really want to be taking beta-blocker(propanolol) type medication unless I have to.
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use to suffer really badly with these, I also has sickness with them which is awful when your head feels like it's splitting in half.

I use to just take some tablets and go to bed for the rest of the day - however (honest truth) I always needed to knock one out when I went to bed. - don't know if it helped me sleep or what?

I don't suffer anywhere near as bad now (touch wood) but get them once every other year as opposed to every other week.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i hear you m8, sadly because of the mechanics of a migraine its pretty difficult to get a non drug prevention. the only other things you could consider is your diet, cheese, chocolate, hi caffiene intake etc are all things that are considered contributory to migraine.. but not bannanas as widely thought! :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

As strange as it sounds i found on the odd occasion when i know a migraines coming on (not when its painful but the strange feeling just before......aura i think) i would drink a coffee and it really seemed to help.
    Last edited by tomtx500; 10th June 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Amitriptyline.

Pimarily used as anti depressant but also used as pain killer and sleeping tablet.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is the thing with migraine what works for one does the opposite for another, they say smoking makes migraine worse if i have a fag and i have one it can help!! :-/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Amitriptyline.

Pimarily used as anti depressant but also used as pain killer and sleeping tablet.

I actually tried this a few years ago but sadly it did nothing for mine. It did make me sleep soundly.....

I was told to try strong coffee but a neuro surgeon. Apparantly this works if you are not a regular coffee drinker...... Problem is when you wake up with a pounding migraine at 3 in the morning the last thing you want to do is fu(k around with a perculator and steaming hot water....
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not to worry you, but my brother had constant migraines for weeks a year or two ago and after trying all the medication going they ended up doing a brain scan on him and he had a benign tumour on his pituitary gland in the brain. He ended up having surgery to remove it and then a course of radiotherapy for about 3 months. Its clear now and the headaches are history.

Unfortunately to remove the tumour they had to take his pituitary gland out and now he has to give himself testosterone shots daily for the rest of his life. A small price to pay mind you. Could have been a lot worse.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    Not to worry you, but my brother had constant migraines for weeks a year or two ago and after trying all the medication going they ended up doing a brain scan on him and he had a benign tumour on his pituitary gland in the brain. He ended up having surgery to remove it and then a course of radiotherapy for about 3 months. Its clear now and the headaches are history.

Unfortunately to remove the tumour they had to take his pituitary gland out and now he has to give himself testosterone shots daily for the rest of his life. A small price to pay mind you. Could have been a lot worse.
    Thanks mate, lets hope it's not a tumour....... The docs have done the basic tests and have said I am not showing any signs of a tumour and as I have had these for over 10 years I am hopefull this is not the case. It does make you wonder sometimes if they are correct especially after my last docs visit and a prescription for OTC asprin!!!!!!
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyadi View Post
    from personal experience imigran sub cut injection is the bollocks!!! i used to suffer from migraines and on a couple of occasions had 'complex migrain', few minutes after injecting the imigran the migraine was completely gone, because its expensive and i was using it on an almost daily basis i was put on propanolol 10mg tds as a prophalaxis which for the past 10 years, whilst not completely stopping the migraine, the one i get every 6 months or so is no worse than a generally bad headache.
    couldnt agree more Ive had the same injection and it was like a magic trick, one min I felt like id been hit in the head with and axe the next, Nothing! I still felt a bit 'fuzzy' and I couldnt keep a train of thought but I get like that with a migrane anyway so i dont know which was the cause. as mentioned its not cheap but id pay twice the price, I had 2 injections one about an hour in to the migrane and another 6hrs later I honestly couldnt praise it enough