How to Create your Own Fan Speed Controller Part 2

Information
This tutorial will show you how to install the fan controller made in part 1

Warning
This project involves soldering and bare wire leads. Always take the appropriate cautions when working with electrical parts.

While it may seem very daunting at first, this tutorial is actually extremely simple once you see what to do.

Items needed:
  • Fan Controller from Part 1
  • Computer fan (no longer need to cut the wire)
  • 4 pin FEMALE (and male if you want) MOLEX connectors (to connect to PSU)
  • Wire clippers
  • Drill and bits
  • Metal Plate / Front drive cover
  • Heat Shrink (optional, but highly recommended)
  • Solder and Soldering Iron (or pliers and cable connectors if you don't mind it)
    • *This tutorial will assume that you know how to solder, and that is the method you will use. If you have any questions about soldering or using connectors, feel free to ask*
Warning
When you touch two leads from the power supply (i.e. The yellow and red wires, or the yellow and black, etc) you will short out the power supply. If this occurs, immediately unplug the PSU and take the wires apart. This is why I recommend heat shrink.

Setup:
If you use a metal plate like I did, then you need to make that to size yourself, I will not cover it here (it was too difficult to make into a simple tutorial).

Step 1:
Decide where you want to position your fan controller (and switches from part 5, your new start button from part 2, etc)

Step 2:
Determine the drill bit size needed (I tend to estimate, then use bigger and bigger sizes until it fits). Mark the location from step 1, and drill the hole.

Step 3:
Push the controller through from the back. Only the "knob" should stick out. Put the washer on, then the nut, and tighten (use a wrench).
Then add the nice knob (I made sure to get nice machined aluminum ones) to give it an easy turn and good look.

Step 4:
Push the controller plate into place (I also like to have it screwed in). Attach the fan at the 3 pin connector, and plug it into the PSU. Turn on the computer and test it out!

OPT Step 5:
Use the extra ground plug to add the fan light switch right next to the speed controller (needs its own hole) to have a really custom fan controller!

Here is my semi-completed project. I have utilized all 5 sections of this series. To the right is my keyed start switch (the key switch at bottom right and aircraft safety toggle switch). On the top is my cathode switch and my soon-to-be fan light switches. The bottom has 3 of my 4 potentiometer speed controllers.
Attachment 79442
Attachment 79444
Attachment 79443

Related Tutorials

Computer Mod Series:

Hope this helps out the modders!

~Lordbob

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images