Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default US Charges UK hacker did $900k in damage.

How the hell do you cause $300,000 worth of damage and disrupt military operations?? Why would you connect anything near important to the internet??

WASHINGTON, Nov 12 (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors charged a British man on Tuesday with hacking into nearly 100 government and private-sector computers, disrupting military operations and causing $900,000 in damage over the course of a year.

Prosecutors said 36-year-old Gary McKinnon, an unemployed computer programmer living in north London, stole passwords, deleted files, monitored traffic and shut down computer networks on military bases from Pearl Harbor to Connecticut.

McKinnon's actions shut down Internet access for thousands of Washington-area military employees for three days, according to federal charges filed in Virginia and New Jersey, and disrupted operations at a Navy station in New Jersey shortly after the Sept. 11 hijacking attacks of last year.

McKinnon also hacked into NASA, the University of Tennessee, a public library in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and several private businesses, according to the charges.

"This is an incredibly sophisticated cyber criminal," said Newark U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie. "He was a very busy guy."

Prosecutors said they would seek to extradite McKinnon, who is charged with seven counts of computer fraud. If found guilty, he could face up to $1.75 million in fines and 70 years in jail.

McKinnon's lawyers in London issued a statement late on Tuesday acknowledging that he was arrested in March for computer-related offenses.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Alexandria said she did not know if McKinnon was currently in custody.

McKinnon accessed 92 separate computer systems in 14 states between March 2001 and March 2002, according to the charges.

After gaining entry, McKinnon would use a software program called RemotelyAnywhere to monitor network traffic and delete files.

McKinnon downloaded hundreds of user passwords, the charges said, and in several cases destroyed critical files that made the computers unable to function. The damage at the naval station in New Jersey approached $300,000, according to the charges filed there.

A spokeswoman in Virginia said McKinnon did not access any classified information.

But national security had nonetheless been compromised, one security expert said.

"If you're able to impact critical systems that the military relies on, I would call this a serious attack," said George Kurtz, chief executive of Foundstone Inc., a computer-security company in

Tuesday, 12 November 2002 22:41:28
    RTRS [nN12178666]
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Robbie Vox

The yanks probably want to employ him

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

they wanna extradite (im sure thats not spelt right btw) him to the US, can't say i agree. IMO britain is recognised as a country with a half decent law system etc.. If he has broken the law, and is caught, fair enough he broke the law he should do the time. But i don't see how our (im a brit btw) goverment could even consider extraditing him to the US when countless times the US havn't extradited IRA members for example to the UK. Well thats my thoughts, imo this guy should be tried in a UK court under UK law and if found guilty and sentenced to time in jail, then he should do the time in a UK prision. Anyway thats my thoughts on the subject.

BiGmAn

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be more embarassed to admit I was hacked

RemotelyAnywhere sounds too much like PC Anywhere to me, I bet they had open ports all over the place

McKinnon's lawyers in London issued a statement late on Tuesday acknowledging that he was arrested in March for computer-related offenses.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Alexandria said she did not know if McKinnon was currently in custody.
    I bet he's hacked their systems to remove the fact he was arrested

Hx
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good boy!!!! Give that man a job!!!
    I would rather have him with me, than against me!! are you listerning US Military??
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."