Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention PlayStation Move: what it’ll really cost you

PlayStation Move will be released next month and we’re very excited here in Attitude Towers. We’ve all been impressed by how accurate Move is, and we like the look of the line-up – there’s a healthy mix of party games and hardcore titles to get us started. But there’s one thing left to take into consideration: the cost.

Sony say you can get started for £49.99/$99.99. However, if you shop around you can get started for less, in the UK at least. However, there are some additional costs; some which you might not have considered. Fear not, we’re on hand to let you know what you’ll actually be paying should you want the full Move experience.

The starter contains Move , PlayStation Eye camera and a demo disk
    On display above is the UK starter pack and its contents. Inside the pack you’ll find one Move controller, a PlayStation Eye camera and a demo disk.

The disk contains demos for nine games including Sports Champions, Start the Party!, The Shoot, EyePet Move, TV Superstars, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, as well as demos of PSN titles Echochrome II, Tumble and Beat Sketchers. The demo is a nice touch because most gamers won’t have had the fortune to test all the Move equipped games so the disk will give them a good idea of what their slick new controller can do.

The starter pack in the US is very similar but for one difference, US customers will receive a copy of Sports Champions instead of the demo disk. It’s safe to say that US gamers have the better package, even if the demo disk itself isn’t a bad thing to have.

The recommended retail price for the starter pack is £49.99/$99.99. The prices are very reasonable considering the contents, the PlayStation Eye itself retails at £24.99/$39.99.

Still, you can save a bit less if you shop around. Amazon UK, Play.com and Argos are selling the starter pack for less at £44.99, should you pre-order it. You can even save a further 99p and gain Clubcard points with Tesco, who are offering the starter pack for £44.00.

Sadly, we didn’t have much joy searching for a better deal for our US readers as all the major retailers such as GameStop and Amazon US are sticking to the manufacturers suggested retail price.

You'll probably want another one of these gizmos
    The starter pack, which we’ve just covered, may be all you’ll ever need; it’s perfectly fine if you want to play alone. But if you want the social experience, you’ll need to get at least one more Move so your family and mates can play. Some games – like The Fight – also work best if you have two Moves to dual-wield. This is when you start to see the costs rise, as these gizmos have a RRP of £34.99/ $49.99.

Once again, our US readers may struggle to find it anywhere below the MSRP but we suggest our UK readers shop around. Both Amazon UK and Play.com are offering the controller for £29.99. If you’re buying a few you’ll make some healthy savings by shopping through these retailers.

If you have the PlayStation Eye camera already, you’ll find upgrading to Move to be very affordable. All you’ll need is the controller – and obviously some games to play. £29.99/$49.99 is an excellent introductory price.

Just in case you were wondering. The camera is essential and you do need it. It’s the thing that actually tracks your controller, it follows the funny looking, spongy ball on top of Move. If you don’t already have the camera, you need to get it. It’s great for video chat, so it’s a great device to have anyway.

The Navigation is essential for FPS games like SOCOM 4
    By all rights, there should be a bundle with the Navigation controller. It works just like the Nunchuck accessory for Nintendo’s Wii Remotes. It has a thumbstick so it’s excellent for navigating your game character around the room (appropriate name, eh?). It has some handy shoulder buttons, a D-pad and some face buttons; it’s essentially half of a DualShock controller.

The Navigation won’t be used for all games, only the ones which require you to move a character around a map. So, you’ll need it for SOCOM 4 for example. In other words, most of games that appeal to ‘hardcore’ gamers will require the Navigation.

The Navigation controller will set you back another £24.99/$29.99. It is possible to avoid paying this price because you can use your DualShock alongside Move, but it’s not a very comfortable alternative.

Sadly, once again US retailers appear to be sticking to the MSRP, but UK retailers are offering more competitive prices. Play.com for example will sell the Navigation controller to you for £17.99 – a massive £7 savings. Thanks to FurryFreak for spotting this.

It will cost a bit, but look how much fun you'll have
    In conclusion. If you’re as excited about Move as we are then you can get started for as little as £44.00/$99.99. You’ll be receiving some quality tech for your money. This will be enough for many hours of fun gaming, but to fully realise Move you’ll be need to get yourself a Navigation (£17.99/$29.99) and maybe even another Move controller (£29.99/$49.99). A second Move is essential for multi-player.

So here’s a guide to how much Move will cost you:

The casual gamer who just wants to play some fun party games, alone, will spend £44.00/$99.99

The starter pack will offer hours of entertainment. It has one Move controller, a PlayStation Eye camera and a disk with nine demos.

The veteran gamers who invested in a PlayStation Eye camera ages ago will spend £77.97/$129.97

Two Move controllers for dual wielding games and a Navigation controller.

The veteran gamer starting from scratch will likely pay £91.98/$179.97

The starer pack plus an extra Move for their mate or for dual wielding games, and the Navigation controller for hardcore games.

Your average family with two children should expect to pay £133.97/$249.96

This includes the starter package plus three controllers. They may survive without Navigation.

The examples above simply that. There will be exceptions to the rule; there will be casual gamers who want a Navigation controller to play SOCOM 4 but many will get by without it. Use these examples as a rough guide to judge for yourself just what Move could potentially cost you.

Source: http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2010/...ion-move-cost/

I think the prices look great

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PlayStation Move: what it’ll really cost you

too expensive for a wiimote

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks like a wiimote indeed, with an illuminous ping pong ball on the top.

Won't be getting my money, I'd play my Wii a lot more if most of the games worked with a standard controller.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    too expensive for a wiimote
    Well That was a useful reply

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_h88 View Post
    Well That was a useful reply
    But to shadow the feeling of the thread and most PS3 users. It's true. Sony ARE ripping off Wii's idea.

XBoxes Project Natal on the other hand is worth waiting for!

The 'PS3 Move' will be happily passing my PS3 by too!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im more excited for the playstation move.. At least I can sit down to use the games. Also socom looks excellent.

Natal has problems with lag and when sat down tracking movements.. apparentley... cant confirm.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went to London yesterday and had 2 demo games on kinect and 2 demo games on Move with Sony-

from what i played and what i saw at the secret meeting i went to-Kinect kicks the ass off Sony
    i am sorry to say this but when i was playing on play with the ps3 cone i felt silly just like i did on the WII and reactions were not perfect like kinect.

i have canceled now my pre-order for Sony Move and stick to kinect-had more fun splashing and driving
    than i did waving a little pink stick that felt better up my bunghole

ehhh thx Sony a giant human pohh scoop thanks-bag of pooh will love it but not for me sony.
    you will all see when you demo in next 2 weeks-game and game station are taking in demo
    machines across the nation this week to open up for you all to demo next week.

you will all prolly say the same-i love my ps3 but kinect is the one for me now-mcs win this war

forzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wowowowowowowowowowow
    HTTP://FISTF.COM
    © 2011 FEDERATION INTERNATIONAL SPORTS TABLE FOOTBALL. All Rights Reserved

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not had chance to play on move yet. Playing kenect was rubbish in a training day I was on. Very unresponsive the tracking was Shite and seemed slow. All the games where rubbish did not get to see froza as we only got to play the release retail games. It just did not seem right like felt like and advanced eye toy.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Racing games on a pretend steering wheel and pedals - no thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just like to add as well the price tag of kinetic £129 WOW.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got it for 124 quid and seen it cheaper still online with a few more

if you wont it cheap and free delivery got to http://www.shopto.net/ and prezzy forza is amazing and the work out you get for the upper chest and arms is amazing-i can feel the burn dude-no more fat twat games for me-you will demo soon and see for yourself prezzy-

I love my ps3 and blueray and now i DO like my 360-i got the new slim and only wish this is what they had given us 4 years ago-nice black and small and no sound and no red lights

now i love both but will have kinect and not the ps3 stuff-i don't feel safe prezzy with that pooh scoop in me hand and it was the same with the WII
    Last edited by 4me2; 11th August 2010 at 03:22 PM.
    HTTP://FISTF.COM
    © 2011 FEDERATION INTERNATIONAL SPORTS TABLE FOOTBALL. All Rights Reserved

Thanks
    Karma Level

MS lied about kinect, downgraded camera to cut costs so no finger, foot or sign language support

MS recently claimed (via patent) that kinect could read ASL (thats American Sign Lamguage, not Age, Sex, Location ) however as more details of the cuts that MS made to the kinect system since they bought it from its isreali designers it becomes very aparent that it cant. The cameras on kinect were downgraded to a rather poor 320x240 making it capable of seeing arms and legs just about but not foot, finger or hand movements.

To put things in prespective when ms bought kinect it could read sign language and see finger movements, it did not have issues with backgrounds and could track more players but ms had to reduce the cost and removed the decent cameras and all the processing power.

So its now clear that not only is this model of kinect a market tester but if it is a success then you will have to buy a new and much more expensive one when the next generation rolls around.

The original Kinect had a much higher resolution (over twice that of the final model's 320x240), and as such, was able to not only recognise the limbs of a player as the current model version can, but their fingers as well (which the current version can't). And when the hardware could recognise fingers, it would have been able to read sign language.

But that capability came at a cost, and while Microsoft had always intended Kinect to sell for $150, "dumbing down" the camera would have meant that Microsoft wouldn't be losing as much money on each unit sold, an important point should Kinect prove to be a failure. So dumb it down they did, reducing the camera's resolution (which in turn reduced the number of appendages it'd have to track) and placing the burden for some of the device's processing on the console and not Kinect's own hardware.

Source

Put in prespective sonys ps3 eye offers 640x480 resolution which whilst crap by modern standards is still twice what kinect comes supplied with and pathetic compared to the 1024x768 used by the ir camera in the wii remote, the only other low resolution camera is the ubisoft "your shape" wii camera which is also 320x240.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.ph...nguage-support
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am interested in these new techs and am happy to try both however as the PS3 one isn't much more than a glorified wiimote I'll be getting Kinect first (along with a new 360 slim). Seems like a much better option for what I would want it for - media browsing without remotes and stuff like that will kick a$$. PS3 one is aimed at games and I don't really play that many games these days and if I did I would probably want a joypad in my hands not two vibrators.

Still until we see the games all we can do is look at videos and hope that when they release they take off otherwise it will be more kit that gets stuck in a box in the spare room or on fleabay.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

They both look pointless to me, I was leaning towards Move as I dont really see any benefit to controller-less gameplay and while I believe Move will offer a slightly improved version of the wiimote, its not enough to convince the average punter who already has a wii or is interested in getting one to choose sony. A bunch of demos is no match for wii sports either.

It amazes me how shamelessly sony copy Nintendo and no one seems to care.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    They both look pointless to me, I was leaning towards Move as I dont really see any benefit to controller-less gameplay
    "Works alongside your Xbox 360 controller to enhance your entertainment" so you'll still have a trigger finger?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    "Works alongside your Xbox 360 controller to enhance your entertainment" so you'll still have a trigger finger?
    Yes - instead of being a controller replacement Kinect is used as an additional controller. So you will still have the XBox Controller and be able to make gestures at Kinect or speak to it to implement other functionality.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah, so the connect will work on people like my Mum.
    When she used to play Mario on the NES she would move the control pad up as if doing that, rather than press a button, would make Mario jump...

Kinect was my mums idea!!
    Last edited by Goldberg; 17th August 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i pre ordered move yesterday .. dunno if it was a good thing or bad thing lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    or speak to it to implement other functionality.
    I hope they don't make it recognise swearwords
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."