Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Time to stop milking it

As the Government was desperately looking for areas in which to make cuts, the spotlight fell on the “free milk for children” scheme. Scrapping it could save £60 million a year, yet almost as soon as it was suggested publicly, No 10 hastily released a statement saying the scheme would remain. But the damage had already been done; the militants were shrieking with outrage that such a proposal could even have crossed anyone's mind.

Yet suppress the initial knee-jerk reaction to look at the science behind it and one can see that it's a sensible, even advisable idea. The scheme is the only remaining part of the Welfare Food Scheme, introduced in 1940 to protect pregnant women and young children against wartime food shortages, but now, in this time of gross nutritional excess, it is unnecessary. Indeed, scientific evidence is amassing that suggests regular milk consumption may be bad for you.

Experts now say that after the first year of life, children require no milk of any type. The former director of paediatrics at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in the States estimates that half of all iron deficiency in US infants results from cows' milk-induced intestinal bleeding. He proposes that infants drink so much milk (which is low in iron) that they have little appetite left for foods containing iron; at the same time, by inducing gastrointestinal bleeding, milk causes iron loss. The same certainly applies to British infants too.

Cows'milk is just that: for cows. Man is the only animal that drinks milk into adulthood. Cows' milk is higher in sugar than humans need, and although high in calcium, only 30 per cent of it is available for use by the body, compared to 60-70 per cent for fruits, grains, nuts, roots, seeds and vegetables.

There is also a theory that a protein found in milk mimics a protein found on the insulin-producing cells of the body. If the body develops an allergic reaction to this milk protein, then it is also stimulated to destroy the insulin cells through an autoimmune attack, a possible cause of diabetes.

And while milk is often considered key in the development and maintenance of bones, even this is being questioned. Globally, countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis also have the highest consumption rates of milk and dairy products. Milk proteins contain phosphorous and sulphur compounds that acidify the blood. To correct this acidity, the body actually draws calcium from the bones, weakening them.

Instead of recommending dairy to ward off osteoporosis, we would do better to advise women, and especially teenage girls, to take more exercise. A 15-year study published in the British Medical Journal found that exercise may be the best protection against hip fractures and that a reduced intake of dietary calcium doesn't seem to be a risk factor.

So is providing our kids with free milk actually doing more harm that good? Current evidence suggests it might be.
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/health...-milking-it.do

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Time to stop milking it

No mammal should be drinking milk other than breast milk during early infancy. That includes humans.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is Soy a good alternative to Milk then?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    There's lots of health concerns surrounding soya but I believe they are mostly unfounded. Still, there's always rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk...etc. or just no milk.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    No mammal should be drinking milk other than breast milk during early infancy. That includes humans.
    Are we including cheese and butter? I hope so, I fucking hate cheese.

I only looked in because I thought the thread may have something to do with prostates.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Some say yes, although some disagree as unfermented soy contains Phytic Acid and some suggest it may hamper the absorption of some nutrients. However, fermented soy products don't have the same issue, such as soy sauce, tempeh, natto etc.

The best alternatives to milk are either rice or oat milk, with oat being my personal choice. Although I don't really tend to use much anyway as I don't eat breakfast cereals and don't drink Tea or Coffee.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oat milk will be hard to buy here, but I could have a look for rice milk.
    I don't eat breakfast cereals but I do have a glass or two of milk every day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    Are we including cheese and butter? I hope so, I fucking hate cheese.

I only looked in because I thought the thread may have something to do with prostates.
    The main issues seem to be with the proteins contained within dairy products, so cheese is a yes, while butter has only trace amounts of protein. Although butter has other issues with a high saturated fat content.

I think it's best to steer clear of all dairy products if you can.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As someone who has a long history of enlarged prostate I found this interesting..

just some of the references to a tie in with milk and dairy produce...

For prostate cancer, epidemiologic studies consistently show a positive association with high consumption of milk, dairy products, and meats." Giovannucci E., 'Nutritional factors in human cancers.', Adv Exp Med Biol 1999;472:29-42

"Cases also reported more frequent consumption of milk and other dairy products and meat, but no significant difference was noted for vegetable intake."
    Talamini R, La Vecchia C, Decarli A, Negri E, Franceschi, 'Nutrition, social factors and prostatic cancer in a Northern Italian population.', S.Br J Cancer 1986 Jun;53(6):817-21

"Higher intake of meat and dairy products has been associated with greater risk of prostate cancer, which may be related to their saturated fat content."
    Willett WC, 'Nutrition and cancer.', Salud Publica Mex 1997 Jul-Aug;39(4):298-309

"Positive correlations between foods and cancer mortality rates were particularly strong in the case of meats and milk for breast cancer, milk for prostate and ovarian cancer, and meats for colon cancer."
    Rose DP, Boyar AP, Wynder EL., 'International comparisons of mortality rates for cancer of the breast, ovary, prostate, and colon, and per capita food consumption.' ,Cancer 1986 Dec 1;58(11):2363-71

"Diet appears to be a major determinant in the incidence of prostate cancer. In a case-control study conducted in Athens, Greece, we found that dairy products, butter and seed oils were positively associated with risk of prostate cancer, whereas cooked and raw tomatoes were inversely associated."
    Bosetti C, Tzonou A, Lagiou P, Negri E, Trichopoulos D, Hsieh CC., 'Fraction of prostate cancer incidence attributed to diet in Athens, Greece.', Eur J Cancer Prev 2000 Apr;9(2):119-23

"Diets high in dairy products and meats are related to higher risk of prostate cancer incidence or mortality in most ecologic, case-control, and prospective studies. "
    Giovannucci E., 'Dietary influences of 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D in relation to prostate cancer: a hypothesis.', Cancer Causes Control 1998 Dec;9(6):567-82

"A significantly increased risk of prostate cancer was associated with skim milk as compared to whole milk."
    Veierod MB, Laake P, Thelle DS., 'Dietary fat intake and risk of prostate cancer: a prospective study of 25,708 Norwegian men.', Int J Cancer 1997 Nov 27;73(5):634-8

"No significant associations were found with frequency of consumption of meats, dairy products, fruits, or vegetables."
    Hsing AW, McLaughlin JK, Schuman LM, Bjelke E, Gridley G, Wacholder S, Chien HT, Blot WJ., 'Diet, tobacco use, and fatal prostate cancer: results from the Lutheran Brotherhood Cohort Study.', Cancer Res 1990 Nov 1;50(21):6836-40

"Suggestive positive associations were also seen between fatal prostate cancer and the consumption of milk, cheese, eggs, and meat."
    Snowdon DA, Phillips RL, Choi W., 'Diet, obesity, and risk of fatal prostate cancer.', Am J Epidemiol 1984 Aug;120(2):244-50

OK so what can I eat.... blimey !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nonsense. My Granda drank 4 pints of milk a day and he died aged 97 when he was hit by a bus.

I love this story though, we have some Tories in power and free milk for children is at risk in no time.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Eat and drink what you like and enjoy life, you will die it is inevitable If you listen to all the things that you shouldn't eat because they cause cancer and all the other problems then you will die sooner due to starvation.

I would rather have cows milk on my frosties than soy milk have you seen the gunk that leaves in the bottom of a mug after used in a hot drink. You should try gold top milk it is awesome stuff.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Milk isn't good for you but it's hardly going to kill you stone dead either. The point is though that the idea behind the free milk for children scheme is to give children a healthy supplement. There are so many better options than milk for this but the dairy industry has a lot of pull and has invested huge amounts of money in marketing it's products as healthy when they're not.

LJ - If you're adding soy milk to hot drinks then you need to warm it first or it will curdle, hence why you end up with gunk in the bottom of your mug. Also some plant milks are better than others with regards to curdling.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The main issues seem to be with the proteins contained within dairy products, so cheese is a yes, while butter has only trace amounts of protein. Although butter has other issues with a high saturated fat content.

I think it's best to steer clear of all dairy products if you can.
    How does yoghurt stand in these issues?
    There seems to be a never ending growth in yoghurt types in the local supermarket.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rmj2663 View Post
    How does yoghurt stand in these issues?
    There seems to be a never ending growth in yoghurt types in the local supermarket.
    It contains plenty of the proteins contained in milk so I'd stay well clear.

Yogurts are pushed as 'healthy', especially the ones containing probiotics. But they are usually loaded with sugar. Any good bacteria is killed in the stomach before it can reach the intestines where it is most beneficial. Also, the last thing you should be ingesting to improve digestive health is sugar as it causes a very acidic environment and that is harmful to health.

If you want to take advantage of probiotics you need to buy a high quality one in capsule form to ensure the good bacteria actually reaches the place it's suppose to.