Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Do you want 68k a year whilst furthering science and common sense?

Tayside (that's basically Dundee, north of Edinburgh) region NHS have just sacked 500 people to save costs. They are now advertising for a £68k a year job as a homoeopath.

As homoeopathy is widely discredited and complete and utter bollocks, people are pretty hacked off about this.

There is an internet campaign for people to apply for the job in order to take the piss.

Here is the job advert for applying:
    http://www.jobs.scot.nhs.uk/ApplySea...x?vacNo=348347

Here are some bloggers blogging about it:
    http://xtaldave.wordpress.com/2010/0...s-a-homeopath/
    http://sciencedigestive.blogspot.com...homeopath.html

That second one has the guy's application essay attached which is quite funny.

Please be careful you don't actually get the job, as you would be required to move to Dundee which is widely known as the worst place in the universe.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Do you want 68k a year whilst furthering science and common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    Please be careful you don't actually get the job, as you would be required to move to Dundee which is widely known as the worst place in the universe.
    I thought Paisley held that title!

Thanks
    Karma Level

that is terrible, what a bloody waste of money and those people that got sacked must be sick at the thought of this. The statement supporting applications is a funny read though, the highlight for me being:

I am a well-rounded, highly qualified candidate and enthusiastic proponent of teaching and promoting evidence based science to the general public and encouraging others to do the same. I need the money though, so am willing to say balls to all that if I get the job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    Excuse me?! I'm from Dundee and actually posting from Dundee right now but I live in Canada these days and have been working in a city about the same size as Dundee called Regina and I can honestly say that Regina is worse. Well, equally as bad!

You're from Aberdeen, what would you know, you see everything in one colour... Grey.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

whilst I would agree that the person (no doubt a highly paid Director if NHS Scotland who until recently thwarted public interest requests for information on their salaries) should be sacked, 500 people have not suddenly been laid off, this will be done over the next 12 months. It will take into account natural movement of staff and efficiencies given that a large amount of money was thrown at the NHS over the past decade. I'm not defending or taking sides, but bottom line is Westminster has assigned £500m less for the next year + demands for further efficiency savings.

We have to do this safe in the knowledge that top bankers, traders and others of their ilk wont need to lose their jobs or collapse the banking system and they deserve their bonus so we have to do all we can to help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pumpman View Post
    whilst I would agree that the person (no doubt a highly paid Director if NHS Scotland who until recently thwarted public interest requests for information on their salaries) should be sacked, 500 people have not suddenly been laid off, this will be done over the next 12 months. It will take into account natural movement of staff and efficiencies given that a large amount of money was thrown at the NHS over the past decade. I'm not defending or taking sides, but bottom line is Westminster has assigned £500m less for the next year + demands for further efficiency savings.
    I do feel bad for almost literally quoting a tabloid "OMG everyone is getting sacked" story to make a point more exciting, but it is just background information on the current economic climate to show just how stupid this new hire of a bullshit pedlar actually is.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apply for this job. If you are offered an interview just replicate the one in the Pepsi advert