Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer Revo Full Linux Setup guide. *DRAFT*

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Once I remove the 'x' how do I save?

ctrl x does nothing
    Press escape then :wq! for write and quit (forced)

If it complains about being read-only you need to be root (sudo vi /etc/passwd)

tbh I predict that removing the x won't work anyway, and it means your system has a totally open admin account with no security, and although vi is my favourite editor it's probably not worth learning unless you want to get really into linux. nano is quite a good one that's a bit more intuitive.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think perhaps TwoPlanks is right.
    XBMC doesnt login as Root and he seems a lot more clued up with Linux that I am.
    You might be better off with his suggestion
    http://www.digital-forums.com/showpo...7&postcount=19

I only documented things I'd learnt in the process of doing my Revo to help others.
    Mine hasnt asked for the password once, after doing the above to my Revo. Did you attempt starting again?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I might just start again
    ©lubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    I might just start again
    At least trying to fix automatic login isn't hard and worth a show I'd say. Log in graphically, Alt-F2 to get a terminal and type:

gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf

This should load a text editor that looks more like Microsoft Notepad and is quite usable to edit your login manager configuration. (easier than vi anyway)

The lines that start with # are just comments, scroll down past them and find a section like

Code:
    [daemon]

AutomaticLoginEnable=true

AutomaticLogin=xbmc
    If that section is already there exactly like that then it's already configured and you'd need to ask somebody who knows a lot about login managers to find out the issue. Probably a forum or the documentation for gdm would be a good place to start. If it was me and I knew DejaVu had done it before without this problem on identical kit I probably wouldn't bother, but then you will learn a lot if you do dive into fixing it.

If that section is not there exactly like that then you can add it or amend it then reboot and see what happens. If there is already a daemon heading add the other lines under that, otherwise add the daemon heading yourself too.

There is also an option for setting the timeout on the automatic login which is listed in the docs but not in the config file on my box, and my automatic login works brilliantly (sorry to boast) so if it's there and you dont need a timeout just remove it.

There is also the possibility that xbmc doesn't even use GDM, there are other login managers for linux. If the file doesn't exist that is probably the case.

Fixing linux problems is more about the process than the knowledge, knowing how to google and cut through the crap. It takes less than a year of using it as your daily operating system to become an unstoppable desktop linux user (with the help of Google) so I'd say trying to fix this is well worth the hassle if you want to get into linux. Linux was born out of the internet and it changes so quickly and the online information is so good that Google is the best linux administrator in the world.

Best of luck with it anyway, I love hearing of more people using linux and if having a decent linux media center works out for people they might end up using it as a desktop OS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Updated.
    Added Google Chrome install.
    Configure XBMC to run the perfect resolution for your TV (1080i, 1080p, 720p, 24p, 50Hz, 60Hz etc). Most trust the original settings XBMC has available. This is not good practice. You screen CAN look better!
    Added 'Unoffical Repo Installations'
    I'm not going to add a "how to" on Grooveshark/YouTube/Gmail Checker/RSS Feed etc. As It's extremely easy - but I'll add it if there is enough requests for it.
    Coming next -
    Installing, running and configuring an IR Remote Control. I own this one
    any chance of doing a how to on adding a fan speed controller......
    Last edited by badlydrawnboy; 22nd September 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What is the best way to add shares from my Qnap?

I used SMB but it seems to take ages just to sort the library.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    What is the best way to add shares from my Qnap?

I used SMB but it seems to take ages just to sort the library.
    A quick google reveals QNAP is some sort of network appliance filer, so assuming it supports NFS you could try that. NFS is the "original" unix method for sharing files around a network, and some implementations can reach the theoretical limit of speed on the network. (ie. 100mbit/s or 1gbit/s)

Set up the NFS sharing on the QNAP, then run these commands to mount it on your linux box:
    mkdir /media
    mount -t nfs qnaphostname:/sharename /media

The above two commands create a /media directory then mount all your media in it, you can customise to suit. Obviously replace qnaphostname with the IP of your qnap and /sharename with whatever the QNAP share is called.

Of course, there is no guarantee NFS will do any better than SMB does.

I think SMB has got some speed issues with browsing because it uses a standard packet size, regardless of whether you are transferring a 100gig file or just browsing the directory. For the sake of big files, this packet size would normally be set quite high which totally kills file browsing. You can adjust it in windows to get better performance as a colleague of mine did at work - causing the entire company to grind to a halt as nobody could browse the file server. NFS might be a bit cleverer about browsing speeds, but I don't actually know if it is.

If you are delighted with NFS and it is fast enough, you can add a line to /etc/fstab to make the mount permanent. Just copy the format of the other lines and fill in the details from above.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer Revo Full Linux Setup guide. *Updated but still Draft*

T

Sharing your Revo attached drives to your Windows Network.
    Manage your drives from your Windows PC. Delete, rename or change things with the system your more used too.
    Spoiler:
    1)
    Installing Samba and sharing the Revo's attached USB drives back out to a Windows network. This it, although sounds involved, is relatively easy. Samba may already be installed on the Live CD, I cant remember.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba smbfs
    Once installed -

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Make sure near the top that your Workgroup is specified.

The end of the file add -

Code:
    [Media]
    path = /media
    comment = Media
    public = yes
    only guest = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    Any drives attached by USB get listed in your /media folder. This shares the lot out to Windows with full right permissions, if you want to change the it is involved and too advanced for me. If you wish to learn more about it. Be My Guest!

Does this effectively mean that if I download my NZB's to my REVO, I can easily transfer them to my NAS?

Although if I spent some time it'd probably be easier to set up the nzb downloading program on my NAS.... lol.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer Revo Full Linux Setup guide. *Updated but still Draft*

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Does this effectively mean that if I download my NZB's to my REVO, I can easily transfer them to my NAS?

Although if I spent some time it'd probably be easier to set up the nzb downloading program on my NAS.... lol.
    My bad. Did not read this til now.
    That is exactly what this means. I manage my Revo from my Windows PC all the time. My Revo is hard to do anything with so I Telnet in using Putty (Linux Command Line) and use my Windows Computer to organise any completed downloads over the network.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What IR remote is that you're using? I should be getting my Revo R3700 at the weekend and will be starting to play - haven't got a remote yet so will be adding one to my shopping list - any recommendations?

I've seen them from £5 to over £200 - but don't really want to spend more than about £40 if I don't need to - so any advice would be useful

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

@geko, you can use qget to download directly to your qnap, also I'm finding (just got a Revo) that Adding the share via Twonky on the Qnap is the easiest, Qnap is a very fully featured NAS and the latest software improves on an already great system. I have a relatively old model (TS 109 Pro) and it's brilliant.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

There's some great iDevice and Android apps to remote control XBMC now instead of buying an IR remote. XbmoteC and XBMC Commander on the iPad let you browse your library with artwork and info from your library on the iPad as well as all the usual controls you'd expect from a remote.
    Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah. I have it set up on my Advent Vega. Maybe a bit of overkill.... But it sure looks nice on a 10 inch tablet.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The one I have I got from eBay. It's simply a MCE HP Remote available for approx £25 here.
    There is a new one that has replaced my one which looks better IMO or £12 delivered from Hong Kong here. (Seller has a good rating! )

Agreed with XBMC Android Remote though - it's awesome eye candy!

Full gallery is here.

One thing I did forget to mention. Android Access to MediaFrontPage - An interface to help keep everything together.
    Lets suppose your out and see a film you wanna watch or someone recommends a TV Show. Being web based - you can access MFP/CouchPotato or Sickbeard on your device as long as port forwarding is setup. Ask it to find it and when you get home, you'll have it!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 1st March 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

is this guide still relevant? I'm going to do mine today if so.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes. So long as your installing XBMCLive version (Ubuntu Minimal).

Thanks
    Karma Level

already halfway though a guide off xbmc.com now, although im not sure what the fuck im doing so I may end up coming back to this one.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer Revo XBMCLive Setup guide. *Still a Draft*

How'd it go {{909}}? I sorted mine yesterday/today following this guide. Had to change a couple of bits, but works!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I removed XBMC off my Acer 3600 and reinstalled Dharma on Win7...I cant believe the difference out of the box!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

How'd it go {{909}}? I sorted mine yesterday/today following this guide. Had to change a couple of bits, but works!
    it got to 2am and it was coming up with some error so I went to bed, gonna have a look at that later. the guide i was following was a bit wonky cos of changes in ubuntu 10, but I think I'm getting there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast