Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wanker Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

Pope Benedict XVI made his speech at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh

A speech in which the Pope appeared to associate atheism with the Nazis has prompted criticism from humanist organisations.
    However, the Catholic Church has moved to play down the controversy, saying the Pope knew "rather well what the Nazi ideology is about".
    Humanists have said the comments were a "terrible libel" against non-believers.

In his address, the Pope spoke of "a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society".
    He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".
    The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.
    He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.
    "As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

'Highly political'

A statement from the British Humanist Association said the Pope's remarks were "surreal".

"It's not that far rhetorically from the contrary position of Dawkins, who appears to believe that tyranny is the consequence of faith and that virtue is the consequence of atheism”
    Kelvin Holsworth Provost of Glasgow's St Marys Cathedral, Scottish Episcopal Church

It said: "The notion that it was the atheism of Nazis that led to their extremist and hateful views or that it somehow fuels intolerance in Britain today is a terrible libel against those who do not believe in God.
    "The notion that it is non-religious people in the UK today who want to force their views on others, coming from a man whose organisation exerts itself internationally to impose its narrow and exclusive form of morality and undermine the human rights of women, children, gay people and many others, is surreal."
    The German-born Pope has previously spoken of his time growing up under the "monster" of Nazism.
    He joined the Hitler Youth at 14, as was required of young Germans at the time.
    Late on in WWII he was drafted into an anti-aircraft unit in Munich.
    He deserted the German army towards the end of the war and was briefly held as a prisoner-of-war by the Allies in 1945.
    The Pope's conservative, traditionalist views were intensified when teaching at the University of Bonn in the 1960s he was said to be appalled at the prevalence of Marxism among his students.
    In his view, religion was being subordinated to a political ideology that he considered "tyrannical, brutal and cruel".
    He would later be a leading campaigner against liberation theology, the movement to involve the Church in social activism, which for him was too close to Marxism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11332515
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

Rich coming from a cunt who was in the Hitler Jugend !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And it's not like the Catholic church was supporting the Nazi party in WWII, oh, hang on a minute....

Thanks
    Karma Level

He directly aligns Atheism with the Nazis. What an utter cunt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    It was compulsory, you would have been in the same position if you were the same age at that time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought the other day when i heard him speaking if you shut your eyes(which is a dodgy thing to do around a Catholic priest) it could have been good old Adolph.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

People in glass houses full of bigots and paedophi1es shouldn't throw stones.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    It was compulsory, you would have been in the same position if you were the same age at that time.
    I take you actually believe that bollox because you saw it on TV somewhere ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take you actually believe that bollox because you saw it on TV somewhere ?
    Well I saw scenes of the Holocaust on TV, so anything was possible in Nazi Germany.

Thanks
    Karma Level

See the pope wouldn't bend down and kiss the Tarmac at Edinburgh airport as it was over 8 years old.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didnt know I was a nazi, I'm definatly an atheist without a shadow of a doubt, but a nazi? hmmm I think the man who believes there is someone up in the sky watching over us all who decides which children get molested by which priest is a little off on this one; because unless im someone else which I know im not, i'm unfortunatly for the former nazi, I dont share his views and im certainly not a nazi. someone should tell him about projecting his thoughts and feelings on to others

can anyone tell me why he isnt sectioned under the mental health act not only for his own protection but for the safety of others especially given his formative years in nazi germany, he appears to be serious when he talks about a supernatural omnipresent being who knows all but refused to stop "his" devotee's from butt f*cking children,

and to anyone who says "he was 14, he had to do it" blah blah blah its 65yrs since the war ended in 1945 and little old popee himself is 83. 83-65 means he was 18yrs old at the end of the 2nd world war which is without doubt old enough to know whats happening and is older than alot of the people murdered by the nazi's

as a side note why do all these religious people worry about 'fixing' the athiests and making believers out of us? I dont go making them listen to me, I dont ask them questions about where the dinosaurs come from, or question their policy which ignors natural selection and evolution but accepts selective breeding. i dont point out that some religions have a limit to the amount of people that can get into their 'heaven' and I dont point out that going by the last census theyre already over subscribed in the uk alone ignoring the rest of the world and should refrain from knocking on any ones door on an early sunday morning. why wont they just let us be?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Although (personally) I think religion and belief in a 'God' is totally stupid... I think it was the greatest business model ever thought up.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

This guy and his clan of deluded fuckwits are beyond help. Kick them out of the country.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Although (personally) I think religion and belief in a 'God' is totally stupid... I think it was the greatest business model ever thought up.
    If you want a great scam, look into purgatory. It's a fucking winner.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I saw scenes of the Holocaust on TV, so anything was possible in Nazi Germany.
    WTF has that got to do with your statement about the Hiltler Youth?
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    WTF has that got to do with your statement about the Hiltler Youth?
    All Im saying is that if you refused to join the Hitler Youth you would probably have been shot, regardless of your age. So you had no choice but to join. The Nazi's commited the holocaust so would they give a shit about shooting a young person for refusing to join the Hitler Youth.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

think someone mentioned above he was then assigned to an anti aircraft battery gun and then deserted some time after. So.... let ...me get this straight... whatever role he played in that aircraft battery, he helped shoot down (and kill) ally soldiers. Years later after "finding god" he is now the religious leader of millions of people. eh??? something about this doesnt quite add up... the guy (although it cannot be proved), could be an accessory to murder / murderer, yet millions of people follow him? ring any bells?? for that reason alone he shouldnt have been made pope. Surely the holiest of holies should have the cleanest background to set the highest example? No?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

All Im saying is that if you refused to join the Hitler Youth you would probably have been shot, regardless of your age. So you had no choice but to join. The Nazi's commited the holocaust so would they give a shit about shooting a young person for refusing to join the Hitler Youth.
    I understood your point, it's still complete tripe.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought you didn't like the poncy arts n history n things?