Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Ten Scariest Hot Sauces

Don’t be fooled by the cuddly little bottle or the cute pun contained in the name: this hot sauce is packing 750,000 Scoville units. In other words, it’s about ten times as hot as Tabasco sauce. We’re not really sure why, precisely, it comes in a teddy bear bottle, except perhaps that the company that makes it has an extremely well-developed and rich sense of bad puns. And yet, it’s the minor leagues when it comes to this list.
    Satan’s Blood
    We’ll give the manufacturers of Satan’s Blood credit for responsible business practices. Not only does the name adequately convey that this is one heck of a strong hot sauce, it also comes in a little tiny bottle. Although, at 800,000 Scoville units, you don’t really need a lot. In fact, you probably don’t need any, but that’s never stopped the adventurous, or the foolish. Blaspheme away!
    Cool Million
    This has to be the absolute worst case of misleading advertising that we’ve ever seen, and we research weird advertising all the time. There isn’t a thing remotely cool about this stuff. The Cool Million is a pepper extract designed to be, well, a million Scoville units. Yes, you read this correctly. The third entry on this list has crossed a million.
    We’re pretty sure that at this point, any pretence that this is about flavoring the food has pretty much been put by the wayside. This is purely about how well you can torture yourself. It’s a matter of chest pounding honor, at a million Scoville units. But, of course, it can get much, much worse.
    How much worse can it get? Read on!
    Pyro Diablo
    This is 1.5 million Scoville units. We’re just going to let that sink in for a minute. Now consider that this sauce actually comes in the surprising responsible packaging of an eye dropper to keep people from just slathering it on like a bunch of idiots. This is a brilliant idea, actually. An eye dropper stops to make people think about balance, and how much to add to the mix. Makes it almost medical.
    Or, if they’re stupid, they think about putting it in their eyes. In fact, we’ll lay down money that it’s actually happened.
    Demon Ichor
    A product has to be daring to call itself “pure evil”, even from a company that calls itself Screamin’ Demon. Demon Ichor makes a respectable run at the title with a heat of two million Scoville units. This stuff is so strong they actually advise keeping it away from children. We suggest just the opposite. Children should play with this stuff. It’s never too early for them to learn what chemically induced pain is, or that their parents are the kind of people who actually consume stuff like this. Builds character!

Wanza’s Wicked Temptation
    Tied with Demon Ichor, but ranking slightly higher for its mildly misleading label, is Wanza’s Wicked Temptation. It’s got the same heat: 2 million Scoville units. But it also has an alluring temptress on the bottle and not much in the way of indications that it’s anything other than a fairly standard, plain old hot sauce. In other words, it’s setting you up to light yourself on fire, and we just have to rank that a little higher, if for no other reason than the fact that Demon Ichor at least tells you what you’re getting into.
    Magma 4
    We’re kind of amusing that this is bundled with a sauce called “Frostbite”, which is below a million, but it’s trying to be honest: after having Magma, it’ll feeling cooling and soothing. That’s because Magma lives up to its name: four million Scoville units.
    Yes, we have, in fact, jumped two million Scoville units. Expect that to be pretty consistent for the rest of this list: the hot sauce wars do not do things in half measures. Speaking of which…
    357 Mad Dog Pepper Extract
    So, if a hot sauce manages to name itself after both an extremely scary and powerful firearm, and an even more scary and powerful cheap wine, namely the dreaded Mogdan David, you know it’s a hot sauce deserving of your respect and fear, and this does not disappoint: it’s five million Scoville Units.
    Stop and consider for a moment how bad it is that a sauce that is about a thousand times hotter than your standard hot sauce only pulls third on this list. Third.
    The Source
    You’ve got to respect anything that the manufacturer takes the time to put in its own special box. The Source is decidedly one of these products, offering a fairly mild presentation with mythological imagery and some text inside to explain what, exactly, you’re paying for beyond pretty good graphic design. As it turns out, you are paying for 7,100,000 Scoville Units. Yes. Seven point one million. That’s “burn your tongue off” hot. That’s hotter than chemical mace. That’s almost the hottest thing in the world.
    There are a few other hot sauces that are hotter; ten million Scoville units, eleven million Scoville units, along those lines. But they’re all from the same manufacturer, Blair, and we thought instead of goofing around with their second best, we’d present you with the single hottest sauce ever to be created:
    Blair’s 16 Million Reserve
    Yep, it comes with a solid gold skull. Pretty neat, huh? But you don’t care about that. You want to know how hot the hottest hot sauce that will ever exist is.
    OK. Sixteen million Scoville units.
    How do we know that’s the hottest hot sauce that will ever exist? Because that’s the highest the Scoville scale, our measure of spiciness, actually goes. That’s pretty much pure capsaicin, the chemical that makes hot peppers burn so much. Essentially this is pure bottled pain.
    And it’s expensive, to boot. But then, how much do you really want it?
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Ten Scariest Hot Sauces

I have a bottle of this, it's crazy. natural chilli heat
    http://www.firefoods.co.uk/infinity_chilli_sauce.htm

You can actually buy the chillis, some of the above are not actual chilli's you can grow. added extracts and prob mace lol
    I also sell naga chilly chutney which is lovely

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My friends have had mad dog and they said that's pretty potent stuff. I wouldn't try it though! I have had the hottest crisps in the world made by blairs which were pretty spicy!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just get West Indian habenaro pepper sauce. Shit fucks you right up.

There's a few you can get in the supermarket. Habenaros and Scotch Bonnet chillies are the same I think.

Few blots on a cheese on toast will change it completely!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Dave's insanity private reserve?
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had a few of these and also a few of the Dave's ones. They are mental and Dave's sauces had the best labels with warnings such as "Can be used to remove oil stains from your drive way" haha
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a link to some sauces and strengths http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php although I question it's accuracy when it compares them to jalapenos.

My normal stuff is encona hot pepper sauce, love the stuff. Hottest one I've ever had was an american one called scorned woman, was stupidly hot - just raw heat with no enjoyable flavour, but apparently it's only about 6000 scoville units according to that page.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah yes - Encona. I use that sauce like ketchup much to the wife's dismay. It's not so hot as to blow your socks off and has a smooth taste. Also very good to chuck in a bolognese when your making it and sausage casseroles. Gives a kick without having to resort to balancing this spice and that spice
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    Ah yes - Encona. I use that sauce like ketchup much to the wife's dismay. It's not so hot as to blow your socks off and has a smooth taste. Also very good to chuck in a bolognese when your making it and sausage casseroles. Gives a kick without having to resort to balancing this spice and that spice
    If you can use encona like ketchup like I do, you are a lucky man - any time you are presented with a meal you don't like the taste of, just drown it out with encona

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol yeah. The missus doesn't normally complain too much any more but on Sunday roasts she gets a bit miffed.

Also - thin french fry style chips with tabasco are ace! top the chips with some cheese first and you will never look back.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dave's Insanity are the best ones IMO. Very popular in the USA - Though its scary hot it actually has falvor - only to be used a drop at a time tho ! Any Scoville above 500k isn't really hot sauce - its just a mess of pain for no real reason other than to break records. Just like Wiki says....

As of 2004, other manufacturers have apparently overtaken Dave's. Products claiming to be pure capsaicin extract are being marketed, with Scoville ratings ranging from 500,000 to 16,000,000 units. Products with Scoville ratings in this range bear warnings that they "must be diluted before use," or "use as an ingredient only," or "for use as an additive, not for direct consumption." This raises the question of whether they should properly be considered sauces at all. The fact that many of the extreme products have names or descriptions like "private reserve" and "limited edition" raises the suspicion that they are created mainly for publicity and for bragging rights, and are bought as curiosities and collectibles rather than for actual use.
    "The Hottest Sauce in the Universe! The hottest of the Dave's Gourmet line. This is an insanely spicy and delicious cooking ingredient ad should be used diluted (with oil) or in soups, sauces or dressings. Enjoy! Use this product one drop at a time. Keep away from eyes, children and pets. Not for people with heart or respiratory problems."

http://www.hotsauce.com/Dave-s-Gourm...uces-s/103.htm
    Last edited by Raptor; 5th October 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I one ate a Red Savina pepper raw when in Las vegas as the Mrs' ate one with ease (she would kill anyone in a hot sauce compo btw - she ate all of the "Curry Hell" in Newcastle on Tyne next to the Viz offices in under 5 minutes. She was the first woman ever to have done it in 20 years and the next fastest time to hers was an hour and a half LOL)

They had to call me an ambulance.....lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another big fan of encona, love it with just about everything.

My father in law is a chilli connoisseur, he grows all manner of varieties and makes some amazing chilli sauces and pickles. His scotch bonnet sauce is a killer but the best he does an sweet chilli sauce from bird eye red chillis. Mmmm. One of the benefits of having Indian in laws.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL and I found some pictures....Yes that is Chris Badgeman in a couple of the shots too
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Karma Level

I foolishly grew 2 dorset naga plants this year that are now covered with loads of impossibly hot fruit that can apparently top a million scovilles

They look pretty though

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm disappointed at you Encona devils! They are a rival brand for me. I work for Tropical Sun and their hot sauces are much better! Not watered down like Enconas are.
    Last edited by n00bz0rd2; 5th October 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i was just tucking into some grilled chicken and rice when i opened this thread, you lot reminded me i have some encona hot pepper in the pantry and now my mouth is zinging like hell, cheers!

Thanks
    Karma Level

send us some free samples and we'll heap praises on Tropical sun.
    BTW used you iphone app for some recipes again the other week.
    mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    send us some free samples and we'll heap praises on Tropical sun.
    BTW used you iphone app for some recipes again the other week.
    mml
    Haha, I might do. We are going to be at the BBC Good Food show next month in Birmingham so you can get your free tasters.
    Insider tip, Encona manufacture their sauces in Wales. Ours are made in the Caribbean

P.S. App went free yesterday btw. Only for 1 month though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by n00bz0rd2 View Post
    Haha, I might do. We are going to be at the BBC Good Food show next month in Birmingham so you can get your free tasters.
    Insider tip, Encona manufacture their sauces in Wales. Ours are made in the Caribbean

P.S. App went free yesterday btw. Only for 1 month though.
    The three I have in the fridge are the Encona Pepper Sauce, the Tropical Sun Pepper Sauce and Jamaica's Pride Pepper Sauce.

Essentially they are all the same. But the Jamaica one seems much hotter than the Tropical Sun and the Encona.

Tropical Sun is the cheapest one in the supermarket and is the one I usually get, but got the Jamaica one was 50% extra free the last time I bought some, so thought i'd try it. It's a touch too much for me tho TBH. So will stick with tropical sun going forward.

What app is this then ;-)

DJ OD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast