Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default accessing usb hard drive files in windows 7?

Hi guys.

I've taken my IDE hard drive out of my old laptop as its dead and bought a HDD caddy so i could connect it to my new windows 7 laptop and retrieve the files on there. The problem i am having is that when i am trying to access the files it is saying i do not have the permission. everytime i am going into a new folder it says you do not have permission so i accept i want to share the folder and it lets me through but i have just tried to access my pictur files and when i click on them or try to transfer to my hdd on my laptop it says i dont have permission and when i try to ad the permission it doesnt let me. is there anyway i can free up the whold hdd permissions so i can access every file and do what i want with them?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: accessing usb hard drive files in windows 7?

are you logged in as administrator account on your win 7 machine ?

right click on the drive, open properties, go to security, click edit, click add and write everyone, and give "everyone" the appropriate rights in the box below

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kracken View Post
    are you logged in as administrator account on your win 7 machine ?

right click on the drive, open properties, go to security, click edit, click add and write everyone, and give "everyone" the appropriate rights in the box below
    just done that now i can go through all folders fine but when i get to a file i want to view (images) it still says 'windows viewer cannot open the file location because you do not have the correct permissions to access the file location'

i have given full permissions to everyone and any admin etc in the security list.

still stuck!
    Last edited by supacook2k; 11th October 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its sounds like you used to log in on your old lappy and it still thinks you are - i had this prob but fixed it using erd commander and removed all rights and unticked the boxes

Thanks
    Karma Level

never had to login on my old laptop it was only me who used it so did not set up any passwrd protection etc. i'm really puzzled with this. where can i download erd commander? are there any other programs that will remove all permissions from the hdd?

Thanks
    Karma Level

right click c, properties, security, advanced, owner, edit, tick 'replace owner on subcontainer and objects', select the administrators group on your computer, click ok all the way back out.

Then repeat kracken's advice. This should mean you can access everything on the drive... If you find you can't get into a folder just repeat the process on the folder...

Thanks
    Karma Level

My usb drive is the f drive and have done the above. I can get into every folder in the drive but when trying to access files is says I don't have permission. I right clicked on a file I want to access and clicked properties and on the security tab for that file It said something like click continue to gain permission to the file. Did that and it said it cannot give me access so I went into advanced and there was a check box not mentioned in here before so I ticked it and it let me view the file but I don't want to so that for all my files as there's over 100gb. I'm in work so that's why the description is a little vague but I'll try and get some screenshots up tonight. Not sure if it makes any difference but the usb hdd has an install of windows XP on there that is no longer needed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Make sure you haven't got any deny permissions set that could apply to the account concerned (maybe on a group?) as denys take precedence over allows.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I checked all accounts e.g. Admin. My name-pc etc and all have permissions that allow. No account has deny. Does windows 7 have a remote connection facility so someone with a bit more knowledge remotely access my laptop and try and open yo the accrss. I've done what has been suggested but it still isn't working.

Thanks
    Karma Level

try doing it on a different pc
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried it on my mrs laptop and the same is happening. she is also running windows 7. I don't have access to a pc or laptop without windows 7 either. Is there aby hard drive software that can erase any security on the hard drive and open up permissions?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If this was a one off problem I'd simply boot from a linux disk to retrieve the files:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey guys. i just activated bullguard which came free with my latop and when i plugged in my usb drive bullguard popped up saying there was a virus so i deleted file etc and thought that may have caused the problem i'm having but its still the same. below is a screenshot of the permissions setup.

every username in the list has all permissions set to allow for every folder untl i get to the files i want. but when i click on the files it still says permission denied and the only way i have found i can access them is to do this below

i have to go to security then click advanced, click continue and then select the 'include inheritable permissions from the objects parent' but this is a right pain in the harris. Anyone have any other ideas or can see what is going wrong?