Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amazing 360° view of the entire sky

Click the link because the images are there (won't paste into here). There's a 360 degree wrap and also the full pano. Click on those, then click on the large Pano and there's a mini image in the top left you can drag to view the different sections

http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/b...l-sky-picture/

The amazingly talented astrophotographer Stéphane Guisard has done it again! Check out this amazing 360° view of the entire sky:

There’s so much going on here it’s hard to know where to start. Basically, Stéphane wanted to get the darkest sky possible for this shot. So he went to the Atacama desert in Chile, not far from the Paranal observatory. At that latitude, and at that time of year, the Milky Way — usually seen as a band of light across the sky — circles the horizon! That glow you see around the picture is not from cities or anything else like that, it’s from the galaxy itself.

Since the Milky Way is so low in the sky, its soft light is minimized. He also took this picture at new Moon, so there was no light from that, either. Zodiacal light is sunlight reflected back to Earth from dust in the plane of the solar system, and he chose the time of the picture to minimize that as well.

The glow you can see in the picture is called gegenschein, and is sunlight reflected back to Earth from particles in the solar system, but this light is more concentrated in the area of the sky directly opposite the Sun’s position. That’s why it appears so bright in that oval, and fades away to the sides.

What Stéphane has essentially achieved here is a picture with the darkest sky possible.

Pretty cool.

And the picture itself is filled with amazing sights! Here’s an unwrapped version showing the entire horizon (this is on the page linked above in much higher res as well):

On the far left you can see the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, satellite galaxies of our Milky Way. To the far right is the constellation of Orion, surrounded by the red glow of Barnard’s Loop, a shell of hydrogen gas blown out by the hot, massive, luminous stars in Orion. You can also see the Andromeda Galaxy, and countless other objects too. He has an annotated version on that page which will help you find your way around.

Oh, and that brilliant star in the middle? That’s no star, that’s Jupiter. Please don’t report it as a UFO.

This is an incredibly beautiful and clever image. I never would’ve though of something like this myself, but seeing the Milky Way wrapped around the horizon like that is an astonishing thing, even to an experienced skyhound like me. It just goes to show you that no matter how much time you spend enjoying the heavens, there’s always more to see and new ways to see it.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 27th October 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amazing 360° view of the entire sky

That's pretty damn amazing isn't it, I always find it quite humbling when I see images like that and you realise just how much more there is out there beyond our skies. Certainly puts any shots i've taken at night to shame.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

That, is AWESOME. Just wish I were alive in 100 years time to see what sort of Hi Res images we would have of the Universe by then.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by copey123 View Post
    That, is AWESOME. Just wish I were alive in 100 years time to see what sort of Hi Res images we would have of the Universe by then.

hehe very true however I reckon this kind of image would be much higher resolution within 10 years easily given the rate of development of image capture

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep brilliant. if only we were around to see it all unfold