Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Beginners guide ?

Hey!

Just bought myself a canon 550d and am looking for some help/information from some of you guys. Basicly what I would like is a beginners guide to set me off. I bought the camera mainly for my work / family events / hobby etc...

The camera so far has been great , ive taken some nice photos at a friends halloween party, however it was of fully automatic mode

cheers
    Last edited by mickstery; 2nd November 2010 at 12:23 PM.
    mick

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Beginners guide ?

How about http://www.canon-fodder-forums.com/ i've just joined and it looks a really good, helpful forum.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.u...-subscription/

I get this every month, personally find it very handy

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for the heads up fellas , will take a look and let you know how I get on.
    mick

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would love to see a section were some of outstanding photogrphers on this site could look at pics put up by us amanturs, and give advice on how to improve the shot/picture/post probduction (if used) etc etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    I would love to see a section were some of outstanding photogrphers on this site could look at pics put up by us amanturs, and give advice on how to improve the shot/picture/post probduction (if used) etc etc.
    We have one here...

Your Photos & Artwork

Post your photos/creations in there and our photogs will critique (in a constructive way) and offer you advice....they're nice like that you see

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/ is another good one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

get a book on composition, i learnt so much by reading one in my local library while trying to kill a few hours, once you have the basics from that, there are plenty of books which focus on different styles of photography.

There are 100s of books out there that will give you the basics of camera operation too, which isnt so hard.

I personally dont rate buying a magazine at this point, they often show you neat tricks in photoshop, or tell you how to do a certain style of photography, but until you have basic composition skills, this is useless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Several things I can offer as perarls of wisdom. Work out early on what it is you want to shoot and tailor your kit to suit your shooting style no point in saying I must have this lens and this lens and this lens then 2 out of the 3 sit in your bag not being used, that cash could have brought you one really top notch peice of glass to stick on the front of your camera. Also buying new and expensive kit will not instantly make you take better pictures. Get to know your kit inside and out to get the best from it.
    Book, magazines, forums, yeah they are all great, but every minute you are sat here posting stuff, reading replies or articles are minutes wasted out there shooting. You want to get better, then take more pictures. Be your worst ctirique and pick faults in every shot you take, that way you know what not to do the next time.
    My book shelf is rammed with photography bok, yes they helped but the best thin i ever did was go back to college and learnt, hands on from a professional and then bounced ideas around with fellow students.
    Nothing will ever beat getting out there and having a go.
    But as Mr O says get posting some shots and ask for honest appraisal of it. Be prepared though to accept what replies you get. Art and this includs photography as it is an art form, is a very subjective form and opinions will vary from one person to the next. I have seen some very good shots on various forums being slated for one reason or another but I also see alot of very poor low grade shots being praised by people. At the end of the day who are you taking the shots for. Youself? Then if your happy with the shots then job done. If your not, look at the shot and try harder next time.
    Good luck and start posting some shots.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site