Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Windows XP Startup Folder repair?

This is regarding the startup folder in the start menu that runs programs at startup if you copy a shortcut into it, mine is giving me problems.

It happened when i installed and then uninstalled Yamb, the uninstallation for some reason deleted a lot of my shortcuts in Startmenu. I managed to use a file recovery software to get most of the back, but then i thought i'd be clever (dumb) and move all the shortcuts to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS2\Start Menu\

Now whenever i start windows, the items in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS2\Start Menu\Programs\Startup load twice and if i put the shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup then the programs don't even load.

If i log in as a different user though, everything loads fine. I tried to copy the startup folder from the working profile to the problematic one, but that didn't do anything. I also followed THIS tutorial and put in the %userprofile% items in regedit, but still no luck.

In MSconfig the programs in start folder show as being in Common Startup AND Startup even though they're not in both folders, rather just one.

How do i fix this weird problem?

EDIT: I've been testing around and still couldn't fix it. Not a major problem, but a little annoying as i have a few items that i like to run on startup and sometimes i move things in and out of there which is very convenient.

Also, not the %userprofile% startup folders have nothing it's jut the "all users" startup folder that has the shortcuts, and when i log in with other usernames, everything loads and works fine, it's just this one user profile (my main one) that is acting up. MSconfig for some reason shows them twice and if i untick 1 it removes the duplicate as well:
    Last edited by Xad; 24th November 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows XP Startup Folder repair?

Ok, so i managed to fix it myself using trial and error via a new test profile i created. I realised it was the registry after deducing it was ntuser.dat that had the issue, hence the user section of regedit. Turns out all i had to do was change the "Startup" item here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    so that it said %userprofile% in front of the respective string instead of %allusersprofile% Not sure why it said %allusersprofile% to begin with as the rest of the items there said %userprofile%.