Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

crazy German vandals target Street View opt-out homes A woman on a Street View bike passes

German vandals target Street View opt-out homes

Street View is rolling out across Germany

German home-owners who have chosen to opt out of Google's Street View service appear to have become the unsuspecting victims of anti-privacy vandals.
    Local media report that homes in Essen, west Germany have been pelted with eggs and had 'Google's cool' notices pinned to their doors.
    The properties involved have all chosen to be blurred on Google's Street View service.
    The search giant distanced itself from the vandalism.
    "We respect people's right to remove their house from Street View and by no means consider this to be acceptable behaviour," a Google spokesperson said.
    It said it was a one-off incident.
    Street View is rolling out across Germany this month and is proving a hit with users, according to Google.
    The German government took a hard line on the service, mandating that citizens be allowed to opt out, before pictures went live.
    Almost 250,000 Germans requested that Google blur pictures of their homes on the service.
    Since going live in Germany, the service has captured a series of bizarre events, including a naked man climbing into the boot of his car on the driveway of a house in Mannheim, south-west Germany.
    Another camera appeared to capture the birth of a baby on a street in a Berlin suburb, although there are question-marks over the veracity of the incident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11827862
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: German vandals target Street View opt-out homes A woman on a Street View bike pas

I wish they did that here, I'd opt out loads of peoples houses on their behalf.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: German vandals target Street View opt-out homes A woman on a Street View bike pas

I think this is really funny. By trying to be pointlessly paranoid about images that any idiot can stand in the street and look at, these people have had the exact opposite effect.

It is a textbook case of Streisand effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I always feel sorry for the original Streisand because I didn't actually hear about her initial attempts at stopping images from being published, but like many many others have now heard about the effect named after her. It's like meta-Streisand effect for her.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore