Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The best speaker cable you can buy.

Be quick... only 1 left in stock , sold and dispatched by amazon, not a third party seller...

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-.../dp/B000J36XR2

Some of the reviews are quiet funny.

Also its pretty funny to see that after people view this product they buy things like a $2 hdmi cable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The best speaker cable you can buy.

At the bottom of the page
    Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Testicula...pd_sim_sbs_e_2
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    Also its pretty funny to see that after people view this product they buy things like a $2 hdmi cable.
    Hdmi's digital - as long as you can see/hear it at the other end, it's probably spot on. No need for fancy cables.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Hdmi's digital - as long as you can see/hear it at the other end, it's probably spot on. No need for fancy cables.
    True.

Fancy speaker cable is a bit pointless too really, it's a high power signal rather than line-level so it's not as prone to interference or loss of quality. There's also no amplification after the speaker cable (in most setups) so any interference or loss of quality that is experienced is not multiplied.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    yeah but if someone was going to spend $6k on 2 meters of speaker cable, they must have some seriously high end kit! why cut back with $2 hdmi cable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs and a tyre View Post
    True.

Fancy speaker cable is a bit pointless too really, it's a high power signal rather than line-level so it's not as prone to interference or loss of quality. There's also no amplification after the speaker cable (in most setups) so any interference or loss of quality that is experienced is not multiplied.

total wong mate . the sound fom the spks can sound totaly different .
    depending on the cables interconects ect.
    i know this fo a fact. iv ha linn sondec ,marantz ki sig, all the good stuff
    jbls bosse and the cables are just as important .

ps monster cables are shite.
    top end qed are are cood cables ate the price.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by plug1 View Post
    total wong mate . the sound fom the spks can sound totaly different .
    depending on the cables interconects ect.
    i know this fo a fact. iv ha linn sondec ,marantz ki sig, all the good stuff
    jbls bosse and the cables are just as important .

ps monster cables are shite.
    top end qed are are cood cables ate the price.
    It definitely cannot sound "totaly different" and I know that as fact because my relatively bog-standard cheap setup with standard speaker cable sounds close enough to the reality that no upgrade could be "totaly" better unless it actually improved on real life.

The speaker cables are one of the last things to upgrade really, the difference with better speakers, interconnects and amplifiers are going to be hundred times more significant than the difference a speaker cable makes.

There's so much debate about what enhancements actually make a difference too, that I struggle to believe any of it. I read a totally serious review from an audio type who claimed his MP3s were noticeably better when he replaced a standard (non-broken) SATA cable in his NAS device with some sort of super mega one. That is just such incredible and undeniable bollocks. Any effect as subtle as the difference made by a speaker cable is going to suffer from the same thing - I don't think the man in that review was lying, it was just a placebo effect that he could do nothing to control and speaker cables are going to be similar.

I'm not saying they wont make a difference at all because anything that carries an analogue signal will do it with different levels of quality, and they haven't invented perfection yet, but speaker cables really aren't that significant. I'd literally spent millions on speakers before spending $6000 on a speaker cable.

Interconnects are a different ballgame for the reasons I stated, they work on the low-level signal before it gets amplified so any effect they have is much much more significant.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Twoplanks if you have top end interconnects and crap speaker cable you aren't going to notice a difference and vice versa, so I think speaker cables are just as important as any other cables, and the speaker cable can actually make a big difference, if did on my system anyway when I added qed cable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok m8 im wrong.
    and most of the hifi mags. spk cable can totaly change the sound.
    in gen solid core cables sound sharper and mltistrand cables sound warm.
    i know this because my ears tell me this.
    i used to be into audofile. hifi
    so do think if i set up my 3 grand system with the cheep 2 quid wire it will sound the same.
    lol . it wont fact.
    plug

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    Twoplanks if you have top end interconnects and crap speaker cable you aren't going to notice a difference and vice versa, so I think speaker cables are just as important as any other cables, and the speaker cable can actually make a big difference, if did on my system anyway when I added qed cable.
    Fair enough, I guess it does depend on what you are replacing too though. I'd be interested to see totally blind trials amongst audiophiles for each of the different upgrades though because I am sure there is a huge placebo effect from adding new things like this.

The SNR may remain the same post-amplification (unless the amp increases it of course, which it will in all practical situations) but I just think the noise component pre-amplifier on a cable with a lower amount of signal is much more significant than anything that happens post-amplifier.

My setup and experience here is relatively basic because I only really play MP3s and streamed audio out of an on-board soundcard and I'm not even that bothered about music so I am coming from the angle of things that make a really significant difference noticeable to anybody as soon as they walk into the room (eg. crackly amp, poor speakers) rather than very subtle differences noticeable to people who obsess over getting the best possible reproduction of the sound (eg. speaker cables)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a thread on it, it seems there are a lot of people who say it's not realistic to rank cables in order of how much difference they make but everyone who does rank them in order places speaker cables last in the list, after power cables and interconnects. To me this matches with my logic perfectly. http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...enflup&10&4#10

A lot of those replies include things like "I've only been experimenting with hi-fi equipment for 5 years" so I expect they are all very experienced and knowledgeable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dood have u ever had a real hifi ?
    have u ever heard a record b4 ?
    if u r basing or thoughts on digital audio them maybee thats why u know nothing
    come to glasgow and ill let o hear bothers in arms on my linn sondec/akito record deck
    it would make you cry.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont need to post any threads i know the difference the spk cables make.
    if i conect diff cabes , i have done, to the left and right and move the balace its in disptable the sond diffent.
    end off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ps bi wiring is pointless nless the cossove is in the amp

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny the arguments are still going around - I used to be well into my hi-fi stuff about 20 years ago and this was the same argument back then. I had all the gear, a mate of mine who was into electronic engineering was on about how some people were even turning the fuses round in their amps to see which direction gave a better sound ffs.

We ended up putting the speaker cable terminals on his oscilloscope that he had for his course. he'd bought some (at the time) good speaker cable and we tried it against mains cable for a laugh. Turns out the output was pretty much identical. While poor quality bell wire wont do your music any good, you get to a point where you can spend a lot more money for very little improvement.

A lot of it is perceived improvement - but going for super cheap rubbish cable will obviously do you no favours.

Cracks me up though that there's people buying expensive cable and then saying their mp3's have improved. If they are that bothered about sound quality, why are they listening to a lossy compressed file.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i got hooked with the hifi bug over 30 years ago and there are some ridiculas claims made to what will improve the sound but speaker cable isn't one of em
    there are quite noticable differences to be had with various cables but spending multi thousands is a bit rich for the changes to be had over much less expensive cable

the truth about hifi is it's fecking expensive and somwhere on your quest for perfection you have to draw a line it can get stupid and the speaker cables in the OP's post are a good example

i gave up the search for perfection years ago and settled for meridian gear with kef reference model 4's i use Kimber speaker cable for that lot which sounded the best for the money at the time
    different types of cable will certanly influence the way your hifi sounds but it's all subjective and down to personal taste regardless how much you pay

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
    i gave up the search for perfection years ago
    Yep, same here. I realised I had started to sit there listening to the quality of the music rather than the music itself.

Now as long as its decent quality, I just get on with enjoying it, although I do still get a little semi-on as I walk passed a decent hi-fi shop.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
    the truth about hifi is it's fecking expensive and somwhere on your quest for perfection you have to draw a line it can get stupid and the speaker cables in the OP's post are a good example....different types of cable will certanly influence the way your hifi sounds but it's all subjective and down to personal taste regardless how much you pay
    Good point - say for example the 90's saw amps with minimalistic controls to reduce crap in the sound path sound while I preferred the warmer sound (and tone controls) of 80's amps (which technically would be distorting more). I've come to the decision technically perfect isn't as good as how I want it (to me anyway).