Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How many 'Lives' do you think you've used up?

Talking about the old saying 'A cat has 9 Lives'... Watching the news about all the snow etc.reminded me of the lucky escape I had once.. Anyone got any stories on a time or times they've got really lucky?

One for me was when I was a lad in the Army, usual Friday afternoon piss up in the unit bar and then a night on the beer in local village, got totally wankered and staggered back to camp through 3 feet of snow in North Yorkshire. I decided to sneak into camp through a side field rather than risk a night in the guard room cells for being pissed. I remember dragging my legs through the snow and then the next thing I recall was some of the guards carrying me to my billet and I was soaking and fucking freezing as I had passed out.

I realise now if they hadn't been laughing at me staggering like a twat then collapsing, I think that would've been lights out.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How many 'Lives' do you think you've used up?

ive had 2 near misses...

1 was when i was on holiday, nearly drowned in a foam party in a nightclub (i kid you not). the foam raised to such a high level, and i could not breath, started coughing up blood, eyes went red, and began punching other people to get out, the foam seemed to never end, but i managed to get the edge just in time....

the second was a car crash, my friend was driving, we hit a bad patch on the road, the wheels locked, the car shot forward, hit a fence, flipped forward, and then down a 20ft enbankment, i was in the back passenger seat wearing no seatbelt... to top if off the side of the car i was previously sitting on was totally crushed by the impact, ( i had moved to the other side just moments before)........... i walked away from the crash with no cuts or bruises...

close call....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Missus texted and said she was going to use the PC to look on eBay. Remembered I'd left it logged on so remoted in on a 3G connection and managed to disable the favourites bar on my browser seconds before she got there and texted again asking for the log-on password.
    I'd have been fucked for life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had 2 close calls.

The first was when I was riding a quad bike and fell down a 3m cliff into a forested area. I flipped over and the quad fell on top of me. I was impaled in 3 places and the exhaust burnt a good few inches of my right leg. I reckon what saved me was my hand getting caught in a tree, keeping me fairly upright. The force of it dislocated my elbow, pulling it right out the socket, but it could have been a lot worse.

The next one was when I was in a boat off the coast of South Korea. (no, not a torped0 story) We hit a freak storm and the boat was inches from capsizing. It was listed so much the top of the mast was in the water. The captain said afterwards that if some of the sail had got caught in the water it'd have dragged us all under. Oh yeah, all the lifejackets were in the hold of the boat, as the captain 'forgot' to insist we all wore them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My first marriage.......close call.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have used a good few (I can recall at least 4 and my memory is very poor).

The one that freaks me most whenever I think about it, only happened a couple of years ago. I had made one of them "Big Ass Spud Guns", using a 40mm pipe for the barrel and a drain pipe for the firing chamber. The type you use with air freshener to set it off.

Similar to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h36t2sspoGA

Anyhow, not content with using spuds, I fabricated a steel & rubber missile similar to a prometheus air gun pellet, but 40mm in diameter. I tested it a couple of times to no avail, and it got stuck in the chamber and that was that, I got fed up and left it. Left it and forgot about it.

I then returned to it quite some time later, half forgetting were I was up to with it. For some reason I decided to look straight down the barrel and click the piezo igniter to see if it was sparking (I hadn't sprayed any "fuel" into the barrel so it couldn't go off!!!). Click, Click, Nothing (thank F***).

I then removed it from my eye, turned it away from me, and like you do, I "click clicked" some more. BOOM!!!. The B**&ard fired, and the missile when straight through the door in my garage leaving a nice big clean hole.

God knows what mess it would have made of my head, I somehow don't think I would have ever got to find out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been thinking about this and reckon I've probably used up nearly all 9 lives.

I've walked on live train tracks, had a nail bomb set off near me that barely missed my head, had a solid steel ring that was once the support of a rotating summer house fall on me and sweep through my hair, jumped out the way of a tram at the last second, been swarmed by wasps (I'm allergic to them) leaving me looking like a sugar puff and been through DT's with no support on more than one occasion.

That's all I can remember right now but I'm sure there are more.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been stabbed once, Been run over when i was young, nearly choked on a chive while eating my dinner so i guess i've six left.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fell 12ft whilst mountain biking and twisted neck/back and broke a few ribs. Neck made a clicking sound and never thought i'd make it through that!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had alcoholic poisoning 3 times, the 2nd time i had it i was so pissed I fell up some stairs, smacked my forehead on a wall which made me fall backwards and hit my head on the step which knocked me out for a bit, when I came around I walked across the main A road in town without looking and was nearly hit on both carriageways then (after puking) I passed out sat down in mcdonalds covered in claret at 2 in the morning and the staff rang the paramedics and police because they thought I was dead.

I wasn't of course

The other two times were no-where near as serious. So I 'd say I had 8 left

Thanks
    Karma Level

I reckon all 9 of my lives are in tact (bar a few scary moments being stuck off-piste snowboarding).

I damn near lost my memories though, about as worse as death to me, managed to get a pretty bad concussion from a knee to the temple during a rugby match when I was younger. For about 15 hours (I think, was many years ago) I'd forgot how to read, write, couldn't remember alot and my motor skills were fucked.

Cure? Mother put me on the sofa and told me not to sleep, after of what felt a lifetime of nausea, I started to get back to reality and that was it.

Never again I want to forgot how to read, that felt horrible.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been hit by a car twice, first time broke my collarbone, second time didn't break anything though lost consciousness and woke up the following day in hospital. Fell down a cliff, somehow I first free felled then rolled down the rest and landed in a sitting position, I looked up and thought "wtf?' with only a bruise at the side of my head.

During a music festival, none of my friends had money to buy a ticket, so we were sitting outside the gates with hundreds of other people, drinking and listening to the music coming from the festival area. Then someone came up with the idea of stampeding through the gates, as the security could not stop hundreds of people, only a few unlucky ones. Well, I was drunk, I of course fell holding a beer bottle, I fell straight forward on my face, the beer bottle between my head and the tarmac, the bottle broke and sliced off a small piece of my septum and people ran over me. I was so badly injured, totally bloody and with a fractured collarbone that the security guys had to drag me to the red-cross tent which was inside the festival area. They patched me up and I left the red-cross tent with one thought only "I'm In!" But I was in pain for weeks after that. Oh, Bon Jovi was the main act...not worth it.

And then the worst kind of Russian roulette, all the times when I was younger, when I had unprotected sex but I've been very lucky, never ever caught anything.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

think I have used about 6

Was overcome by smoke in a housefire in the mid 80's as a child.

Run over at the age of 11 on a bicycle.

Contracted meningitis septicemia at the age of 21

Broke my neck in hounslow 1995 (vertical crack down the 4th and 5th vertibrea) in a freak bouncy castle accident.. well jumping out of the block windows on to it, I was in hospital for the first few months of 1995.

Then was in a motorbike smash in 2005 ish not too bad but was nearly took out by a car which was behind me after I was flipped off my bike onto tyhe deck.

and mrs caught me thrapping to red tube about 3 weeks ago.
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

had a bad car crash a few years ago while not wearing a seatbelt, car slid on black ice and went into a tree at about 40mph, my head went through the windscreen and my right arm went through the side window. still got scars on my head and arm to this day from that night. i walked away from it with blood oozing out of my head and arm.

and the second is my own fault really
    we were rallying in an old car on some waste ground, we had kicked the windscreens out and driving round a track, i thought it a good idea to drive into a beck but the car turned over upside down and i ended up 4-5ft in silt, muck and water with my seatbelt on still and upside down. i did not panic though and i remember just sat there thinking "well youve fucked it this time" and i was as calm as fuck. i undid my seatbelt and i crawled out towards the back of the car and got out. - the things you do when your younger.

oh just remembered one more, there was a house fire near us a few years ago and a woman died from smoke inhilation but i tried getting to her by putting a blanket (wet through) over me and going upstairs to get her, i got as far as the kitchen door and when i opened it i got surrounded by a wall of flames and ended up having to turn back. ive never seen anything like it in my life.
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i've used up one. Was doing my survival swimming test thingy at primary school, but the PJs i was swimming in, got tangled round my legs/feet, and I went under. Thankfully the lifeguard was on the ball and swiftly got me out of the water

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flanflinger View Post
    Broke my neck in hounslow 1995 (vertical crack down the 4th and 5th vertibrea) in a freak bouncy castle accident.. well jumping out of the block windows on to it, I was in hospital for the first few months of 1995.

what happened? A funny landing or did it catapult you about 15 ft up and over the side?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    what happened? A funny landing or did it catapult you about 15 ft up and over the side?
    got sent vertical mate.. ver the wall of said bouncy castle and landed on my swede... so you were right with the latter... oh it happened at night as well after a few beers!.
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flanflinger View Post
    think I have used about 6

Was overcome by smoke in a housefire in the mid 80's as a child.

Run over at the age of 11 on a bicycle.

Contracted meningitis septicemia at the age of 21

Then was in a motorbike smash in 2005 ish not too bad but was nearly took out by a car which was behind me after I was flipped off my bike onto tyhe deck.

and mrs caught me thrapping to red tube about 3 weeks ago.
    Shameful product placement indeed!

I lost 1 back in '81 when I pranged my Lambretta GP 150 in to a wall managed to land on my neck & pull the nerves that run down my right arm out of my spinal column.

Tig3

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't think I have ever lost any lives so far. Had a few incidents that could have been worse.

Guess the closes I have got to losing a life would have been when my friend crashed his car while i was in the back seat after we had been drinking and wanted to pop out to get a kebab.
    Or was bottled in a fight in Croydon one time and had to get stiches. So nothing too serious.
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

i lost one when i split from my ex 10 yrs ago ...i moved back in with my mom and went on the lash as you do ! I got back about 2am and was freezing so i stuck a calor gas heater she had stored in the bedroom on full 3 bars and fell asleep ... my brother came in the next morning to a wall of heat and thinking the fumes would have got me started shaking fuck out of me !! i had slept with my head under the blankets and am convinced this saved me ..... the worse part is people would have thought it was suicide after the break up ! ....... i also fell off the pavement on my skateboard when i was 13 into the path of a car at night ....i still to this day dont know how i managed to jump out of the way ...i just took a passing blow on my shoulder from the wing mirror ....so i have lucky 7 left

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast