Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default One ofr the Sky experts!

Hey all,

I have never had Sky and have decided to take the plunge in time for Xmas viewing! The engineer is coming out next week to fit a dish and install a Sky+ box for me.

My house has an aerial in the roof which runs to aerial points in 4 bedrooms and the lounge.

My question is, what will the Sky engineer do when he installs? Will he attach the dish to the wall and run direct to the lounge, or will he run to the loft junction box? Making use of all the aerial points available?

Also, when the EON heating engineer comes to service my boiler, i pay him at extra to service my fire (which he isn't supposed to do!) So, for extra payment, is there anything i should be asking the sky engineer to do which would be beneficial for my sky viewing pleasure?!

Thanks

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: One ofr the Sky experts!

So, for extra payment, is there anything i should be asking the sky engineer to do which would be beneficial for my sky viewing pleasure?!
    you could get him to rub you off for a few quid extra after he has installed it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No the install is nothing to do with aerial points or RF points.

He will install your dish and run the cable from the LNB to the box.

What you can do once its collected is use the RF2 output from the box and connect to the port in the lounge.

Then whatever you are watching on your main box will be viewable via every aerial outlet in the bedrooms...once the tvs have been tuned in of course and assuming they have analogue tuners.

Generally they wont do fuck all extra unless its been OKd previously by Sky.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

He will come and install a disgusting cable along the front of your house. I don't know why some of them are called engineers, although some are useful.

You could ask for a distribution box which would then allow him or someone else to distribute the signal to all the 4 rooms and you for example install Freesat HD boxes in those rooms and ensure he installs "twin shotgun" cable (two wires rolled into one cable that allow for Sky and Sky + viewing) as well as a Quad LNB (4 outputs from your dish)
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

To connect back through the loft for viewing in other rooms you will need a return cable taking back up to the loft.

One down for the aerial feed, then one return back up to the loft to feed the aerial + the Sky RF through to the other points.

This time of year you'll be hard pushed to to get them to do any extras...

oh and push for an octo lnb, tell the installer you were told you could have one fitted

and pray to the lord baby jesus you don't get the AVC contractors

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by scullion View Post
    You could ask for a distribution box which would then allow him or someone else to distribute the signal to all the 4 rooms and you for example install Freesat HD boxes in those rooms and ensure he installs "twin shotgun" cable (two wires rolled into one cable that allow for Sky and Sky + viewing) as well as a Quad LNB (4 outputs from your dish)
    Not possible...he will need to run coax from the spare connections on the LNB to each room in order to use Freesat boxes etc.

What you are referring to is what I have mentioned above....as I state all he he needs to do is what I describe above...however he will only be able to watch the channel being watched on the main box.

They will always use shotgun cable...tho I prefer to use 2 x single runs...and an Quad LNB is standard...ask for an Octo....usefull for further Sky+ installs later.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    To connect back through the loft for viewing in other rooms you will need a return cable taking back up to the loft.

One down for the aerial feed, then one return back up to the loft to feed the aerial + the Sky RF through to the other points.
    No just connect an aerial lead from RF2 out to the lounge connection...check the RF channel..eg 67.

Tune your upstairs TVs to this and the Sky box will feed the TVs via the distribution box he already has....this will work I know Ive done it.

He can use a switcher to allow the aerial to work as normal and switch it when he wants to watch the sky box upstairs!!
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh and push for an octo lnb, tell the installer you were told you could have one fitted
    a what??!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    No just connect an aerial lead from RF2 out to the lounge connection...check the RF channel..eg 67.

Tune your upstairs TVs to this and the Sky box will feed the TVs via the distribution box he already has....this will work I know Ive done it.

He can use a switcher to allow the aerial to work as normal and switch it when he wants to watch the sky box upstairs!!
    A switcher ?

The aerial needs to run to RF1 one otherwise if it's used to just return the Sky feed from RF2 there will be no aerial signal just the Sky channel...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A switcher ?

The aerial needs to run to RF1 one otherwise if it's used to just return the Sky feed from RF2 there will be no aerial signal just the Sky channel...
    OK I'll try again.

Assuming hes using his rooftop aerial now as he has Sky...you insert a splitter into the outlet from the distribution box in the lounge...one goes to RF 1 allowing him to watch terrestrial tv via the loopthrough.

Then the 2nd outlet goes into RF2 on the sky box....this allows the Sky box to feed the Sky picture to the upstairs TVs.
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    a what??!!
    Quad LNB has 4 connections...2 of which are needed for every Sky+ box.

An Octo LNB has 8 connections.
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK I'll try again.

Assuming hes using his rooftop aerial now as he has Sky...you insert a splitter into the outlet from the distribution box in the lounge...one goes to RF 1 allowing him to watch terrestrial tv via the loopthrough.

Then the 2nd outlet goes into RF2 on the sky box....this allows the Sky box to feed the Sky picture to the upstairs TVs.
    I can see where you coming from now....

But i doubt the amp would be behind the main tv in the lounge, any house running five points would normally have the amp in the loft...

No need for the splitter, the aerial would go direct in to the amp then would feed back in to the amp. Then it would then send Sky channel + aerial signal to other outlets.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the aerial is in the loft which connects to a junction box; which then provide the feed to the 5 points.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can see where you coming from now....

But i doubt the amp would be behind the main tv in the lounge, any house running five points would normally have the amp in the loft...

No need for the splitter, the aerial would go direct in to the amp then would feed back in to the amp. Then it would then send Sky channel + aerial signal to other outlets.
    No I understand the amp is in the attic....just plug the splitter into the RF outlet in the lounge.

You do need a splitter for the normal aerial connection to feed RF1 and for the RF2 output to feed the oulet in the lounge and therefore the amp in the attic and distributing it to all TVs upstairs...its a bit Heath Robinson but it works!
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    the aerial is in the loft which connects to a junction box; which then provide the feed to the 5 points.
    Try it....activate RF2 out

Connect an aerial lead from RF2 to the aerial point in lounge.

Tune your tvs upstairs...you will be able to see whatever Sky channel you are watching downstairs on your upstairs TVs...once tuned in.

The Sky box just acts like the aerial feeding the signal back upstairs!
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

No I understand the amp is in the attic....just plug the splitter into the RF outlet in the lounge.

You do need a splitter for the normal aerial connection to feed RF1 and for the RF2 output to feed the oulet in the lounge and therefore the amp in the attic and distributing it to all TVs upstairs...its a bit Heath Robinson but it works!
    So one cable feed the aerial down but also feeds the signal back up ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So one cable feed the aerial down but also feeds the signal back up ?
    Yep

Deffo works....Ive done it!
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep
    I'll give the extra points i booked in with you a miss of that's ok...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll give the extra points i booked in with you a miss of that's ok...
    Eh?
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Eh?
    With all that dodgy wiring....

Twenty years I've been installing aerials and satellites and I've never seen a cable that will run aerial down then split, then back up...

http://www.dvd-hacks.com/dvdimgs/tvlink.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast