Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Imaging and image distribution

Hi All,
    Looking for some advice. I've just bought 20 computers for our network to replace some old outdated ones. I am going to build one of the machines up to a base build standard, they come with Windows 7 so install Office 2010, AV etc. Can anyone recommend a solution for taking an image of that machine then pushing it out to the other machines. I know I will have to run sysID before joining the domain.
    Thanks in advance,
    T
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Imaging and image distribution

I haven't looked closely at 7 yet, only made one image, basically I got the dell 7 factory build (note 1), then removed the crap, installed my apps, done my tweaks, then took an image (note 2), then ran c:\windows\system32\sysprep /oobe /generalise /shutdown then took another image.

Then this image I just restore to a pc, update what needs to be done and get it on the domain.

Note 1: With xp, you are only technically licensed to image the orignal oem build if you are using oem windows. Haven't looked closely read the EULA for win 7 yet though. I try and use the factory build, but with a couple I've had stability issues so I've had to be naughty and make from scratch.

Note 2: Again, I'm going on my xp knowledge - you can only re-sysprep an installation of windows so many times (3?) until each restore requires manual activation (grace period will not be reset). That's why I keep an un-sysprepped image to update in the future to make new images.

Also if you are using kaspersky, that doesn't like being imaged, I have to install manually on each restored pc. Mccrappy worked fine. Haven't tested any others.