Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default cheap bt alternative for my parents, any recommendations?

hi

been looking for a provider for bb and calls for my parents, they're currently with bt and ish to change. they are very low users so are looking for the cheapest package.

they live in the sticks and their exchange isn't unbundled or likely to being the near future, so no sky or virgin bundles i'm afraid.

i've been looking at plusnet who seem reasonable, and also have customer support in the uk. i live the other side of the country so if they have any probs being able to speak to decent customer support is essential really (one of the main reasons they want to leave bt).

any thoughts on them, or any other suggestions are appreciated.
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: cheap bt alternative for my parents, any recommendations?

Plusnet are shite ! the way they manage your your connection is very strange and cs is laughable, his year is nearly up and he can't wait to get away

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not used them so am forwarding them for price only, do your own research on the quality of service etc. It says the offer ended yesterday but this is still advertised at MSE so give it a try and see.

TalkTalk's Essential package is usually £21.79 all-in, over its 12 month contract. However there's currently a deal that cuts this down to £11.62/mth:

£50 automatic cashback: New TalkTalk Essentials customers can currently get free connection (usually £29.99) and 50% off phone and broadband at £3.49/month (usually £6.99) for the 12 months of the contract. The offer's on until 8pm on Monday 7 March.

For this you get evening and weekend landline calls for the first 60 mins (after hang up and redial), plus up to 24 Mb broadband with a 40GB download limit, but you still need to pay £12.30/month line rental.

Sign up via SimplifyDigital over the phone and get £50 cashback 90 days after connection. Factor it all in over the 12 month contract and it averages £11.62/mth.

85% of the UK can get the cheap TalkTalk package, if you're out of area it will cost more and you won't get the extra discounts.

TalkTalk also offers boosts for £2-£4 each, including extras such as increased security, a higher download limit, anytime calls and half price calls to mobiles. In most cases the boosts aren't worth it, as you can get those add-ons cheaper elsewhere.

TalkTalk's broadband is available for most, but not all, of the UK, so do check eligibility first. At launch, feedback on TalkTalk's customer service was shaky, however reports say this is much better now - though no provider is ever without any problems.

QUICK FACTS. Price: £11.62/month Free Calls: Evening & weekend Free Calls are free for: The first 60 minutes Broadband: Up to 24MB, 40GB download limit Free International Calls: No Connection: free Contract: 12 months Coverage: 85% of the UK Wireless: Free wireless router Thinkbroadband rating: 2.5/5 Add your feedback/Read Others: TalkTalk Homephone & Broadband
    Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

The folks have Talktalk and love it - they get 40GB a month which is way more than they ever use and get free phone calls in the UK and abroad.

They've had it at least two years now and in that time the phone went dead for a day when the local exchange went and that affected all providers anyway so wasn't localised to Talktalk.

I know they get a lot of flack but to be fair I can't really say a bad thing about them in my experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have talktalk and its been fine for 2 years. I have heard of a few people having problems with their customer services department though, I think 909 had problems. You get what you pay for really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they don't fall within the talktalk area i'm afraid, so they'd have to pay a £15 non-network charge (which is what tt must have to pay bt for the bb) like i say they're in the sticks so its only bt or another company thats reselling bt's wholesale they can get.

thanks for the replies guys.
    :kissass