Close

Thread: 06 zx10 misfire

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 06 zx10 misfire

Hi all got 06 zx10 with a misfire problem at low revs seems to be in around the 2.5k range. Bike only has 3500 miles i've tried fresh fuel with injecter cleaner new sensors for the power comander and a new coil on the cylinder that seems to be missing all with no effects anyone any ideas before i go bald lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 06 zx10 misfire

first thing to do is to put it back to stock condition - remove the PC, stock pipes back on and OEM air filter replaced.

how long has it been sitting? how long since you run fresh fuel + cleaner in it? it could just need more time to clean itself out.

have you tested the low tension feed to the coil on the suspect cylinder?

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you've stuck the PC and the can etc on yourself, then get it dyno'd mate, zx10's need setting up proper due to the TCBI digitally advanced system, its a learning system and unless told whats going on it will have flat spots/possible misfires etc. These can also happen weeks or months later and not necessarily straight away as I have found to my annoyance. As Tigger says though a good way to eliminate it is stick it all back to standard and work forward from there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys its was all set up and dyno'd by phillip mccallen and was running perfect, Bike sat for 6 months over the winter rolled her out put fresh fuel and cleaner in and ran a full tank through her, linked the power commander to the laptop to check the maps everythings still there, going to do as tigger says run a few more tanks thorugh her and see if it clears was worried just incase it done it more damage than good though

Thanks
    Karma Level

ah most likely oxidised fuel then, it can lead to something called "varnishing" next time you put it away for a long perisod make sure you completely drain ioff any old fuel etc. Should be OK with a decent clean out of the injection system, I did once require an ultrasonic clean on an R1 system but that had been left by someone for 18 months! I once used a solution called soltron or something too I think it was american, i guy at a race meeting gave it me and that did the trick once too. I would obviously start by gettin the fuel filter off as that will be gummed up to buggery and will therefore be restrictive, you could always try running a bit of red-ex thru it too, I know its an old method but it has proven succesful a few times too. Will smoke like a bastard for half an hour though so be warned!!
    Good Luck!

PS another thing that im pretty sure will help aid the removal of fuel varnish is "Avgas" aviation fuel, we used to race our 2-strokes on it when running high compression pistons and 2 or 3 base gaskets it would prevent detonation on the piston crown, go to your local airfield and buy a gallon then mix it 50/50 with petrol and run a tank of that thru. To save money I would manually clean your fuel filter before doing all this and then afterwards fit a brand new one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with Lighty on the storage. Worst thing you can do with engines is not use them.

I would rather avoid long term storage all together, but either follow the above, or run it regularly, fully up to operating temperature to keep the oil etc flowing around the engine. About once every couple of weeks should be ok just to keep it ticking over through the winter months and hopefully avoid this situation next year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeap agree with you both tank was syphoned out when i put it into hibernaton for the winter but should have let her run dry would have saved me all these problems roll on the better weather till i get it out for a good run the BT001's i've on just dont like wet roads though lol