Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

gossip Bon Jovi says Steve Jobs killed music business

What a berk! downloading was going to happen anyway and this just confirms my low opinion of John Bon Jovi! I miss record stores too but I miss just about all local stores. But iTunes and its like mean that many more people get a chance to be published and heard!

Bon Jovi says Steve Jobs killed music business

by Dana Franklin (RSS feed) on Mar 15th 2011 at 4:30AM
    Is Steve Jobs music's savior or angel of death? Jon Bon Jovi cast his vote in The Sunday Times Magazine: the American rock musician thinks Jobs is "killing" the music industry with iTunes.
    The massive success of iTunes, says Bon Jovi, has caused the "magical" experience of buying records in a store to disappear. "Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it," the rocker told The Sunday Times Magazine. Bon Jovi says that "in a generation from now people are going to say: 'What happened?' Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business."
    I am not sure the record industry would completely agree with Bon Jovi's assessment of the situation. Labels and recording artists have sold more than 10 billion songs through Apple's music store since it launched on April 28, 2003. Today, the iTunes Store is the top music vendor in the United States and has proven to be a worthy competitor to the illegal peer-to-peer and music download services that preceded it.
    It's certainly unfortunate that nationwide chains like Tower Records and Sam Goody closed their doors. Also unfortunate is the near annihilation of the used record market. On the other hand, the digital era allows me to buy a track instantly without leaving the house; I can share my favorite artists and albums with friends and complete strangers using Ping Facebook; and I can easily discover new music using "magical" recommendations based on what I and millions of people with similar tastes enjoy.
    Losing some of the tactile experience of shopping for music seems like a small price to pay for progress. Besides, I never had a big enough allowance to judge an album by its jacket.
    What do you think? Is the iTunes Store going to demolish the music industry? Or has it simply sparked a new era of opportunity for record labels and musicians?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/15/bon-j...ess/#continued
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bon Jovi says Steve Jobs killed music business

Might have changed the music business, but in no way killed it.

Maybe he's not getting the cash he wants, but in my opinion downloadable music has meant that other smaller bands/groups can be heard without the need of big music corps signing them.

Besides, ppl were downloading and ripping music long before iTunes.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Might have changed the music business, but in no way killed it.

Maybe he's not getting the cash he wants, but in my opinion downloadable music has meant that other smaller bands/groups can be heard without the need of big music corps signing them.

Besides, ppl were downloading and ripping music long before iTunes.

DJ OD
    Yep, the only people REALLY negatively impacted are the Corporate wankers who need to embrace change. I'm not against the old style music biz but it needs to change with the times and largely it seems to be doing just that! I've dealt with them my self and at possibly the worst time Late 70's - early 90's, I can't say I miss them, we have to be careful we don't get the same old shit re-packaged though!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well JBJ, the media format is digital and is far more accessible for people. I'm sure that in some cases it's easier for people to get online than to the closest record store. The internet has shifted the money from the label to the artist, now if Mr. Artist would get their act together and try and utilize this opportunity and not whine that the purple limo was not there to pick him up at the airport.

Sure, the labels made sure there were big names, and in the future there won't be just a handful of names in any given genre but plenty to choose from, everyone gets an opportunity, but isn't this great for us consumers?

There will be the ones that stand out, and they will spread like wildfire and make a name for themselves, just like Casey Heynes.

EDITED: Oh and as far as the accusations, probably feels good to kick a man who is already on his knees.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's also missing the point regarding just the pure access to music - in the 'old days' some records weren't even available as they weren't deemed profitable by the likes of HMV etc. Some shops sold imports but they were very highly priced.

Now you can have access to music from bands practically anywhere around the world that was previously impossible.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Greed is what killed the music business.
    People stopped buying singles and albums when tapes and vinyl went, because CD's where a fucking rip off.
    If it was not for mp3's they would be truly fucked right now.
    The only reason they did not embrace mp3 earlier was that they felt they had no control over it.
    Remember the nonsense they use to feed us?
    MP3 will make your stereo blow up.
    MP3 isn't as good quality as a CD.
    CD's will last forever
    CD's have better sound quality....
    They are all full of shit corporate wankers.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Agree with your post, but this comment is technically correct unfortuately.

I've *cough* 'obtained' some mp3's over the years that were ripped at a poor rate and sound awful.

MP3's really are aimed at ipods and car stereo's etc.
    On a good quality home stereo the lower sampling rate is sometimes noticeable. Its ok for the most part mind, but I prefer a CD on my home system.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Greed is what killed the music business.
    People stopped buying singles and albums when tapes and vinyl went, because CD's where a fucking rip off.
    If it was not for mp3's they would be truly fucked right now.
    The only reason they did not embrace mp3 earlier was that they felt they had no control over it.
    Remember the nonsense they use to feed us?
    MP3 will make your stereo blow up.
    CD's will last forever
    CD's have better sound quality....
    They are all full of shit corporate wankers.
    CDs DO have better sound quality than MP3 as will ANY lossless format.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greaseweasel View Post
    Agree with your post, but this comment is technically correct unfortuately.

I've *cough* 'obtained' some mp3's over the years that were ripped at a poor rate and sound awful.

MP3's really are aimed at ipods and car stereo's etc.
    On a good quality home stereo the lower sampling rate is sometimes noticeable. Its ok for the most part mind, but I prefer a CD on my home system.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    CDs DO have better sound quality than MP3 as will ANY lossless format.
    I'm not going down this route, it's been argued out before.
    Most people will not notice the difference when using an mp3 player, car stereo, Ł35 CD player from Argos.
    My media of choice is vinyl.
    My point being is they will spout any old shit to get us to buy their preferred media choice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Clearly Mr John Farancis Bongiovi has a new crap film comming out and needs some publicity.. fuck off back to the plastic surgery clinic you live in 364 days a year.

Fucking gingers..

Thanks
    Karma Level

My media of choice is vinyl.
    My point being is they will spout any old shit to get us to buy their preferred media choice.
    With you completely there. I still miss vinyl, sadly sold my LP's and Rega Planar 3 years ago and have missed it ever since. There was almost a ritual involved in preparing to play a record which is sadly now lost to convenience. Trouble is at the same time I wouldn't be without the mp3 player though.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greaseweasel View Post
    With you completely there. I still miss vinyl, sadly sold my LP's and Rega Planar 3 years ago and have missed it ever since. There was almost a ritual involved in preparing to play a record which is sadly now lost to convenience. Trouble is at the same time I wouldn't be without the mp3 player though.
    They all have their place.
    Mp3 is great for out and about, CD's are great for the car and vinyl is perfect for chilling out at home.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As much I'm I'm not Apple's biggest fan I will stick up for them here.

Before itunes you could either pay Ł15 for a cd just for 3-4 tracks you wanted or you could download it totally free of charge. This was a massive change from having to either buy it or make crappy copies on tape.

I would contend such a shift of power required the record labels to massively reconsider their business models if they were to wish to continue in business but they didn't appear to notice/feel any real need.

Itunes gave people a legitimate means to download just what they want at a reasonable price. My only gripe with them really would be drm but that's another story and not black and white anyway.

I would suggest if it wasn't for itunes, the music industry would be on a definite path to their end. Itunes has given them a business model that should enable them to survive, albeit less profitably. I'm a little confused how this gives JBJ any cause for complaint considering the alternative.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a record box of my favourite records, that will come with me to the grave.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post

I have a record box of my favourite records, that will come with me to the grave.

DJ OD
    I hope that it isn't soon, i haven't even told u how much i love u yet...
    Last edited by DJ OD; 15th March 2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: KFC hoovering fuck bag.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What a cock JBJ is, are his tunes not on itunes then?

His point is that "Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it,"

Sorry, but I don't live in some 1980's movie set where strange shit like this happens and what the hell would that have to do with Steve Jobs anyway?
    People moaned when CD came out because the artwork was so much smaller but its hard to argue the move wasn't an improvement, now this cock is craving some attention by spouting incoherent rubbish about MP3.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    this cock is craving some attention by spouting incoherent rubbish about MP3.
    +1

and the knob's official website, is selling "skins" for the ipod touch.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Call me weird or something but I buy more or less all of my music through iTunes (damnyouautocorrect). I can't remember the last album's worth of music I downloaded without paying.

It has also stopped me spending loads of money on pissed-up eBay sessions buying old 12" vinyl. I went through my piles of unopened purchases after a tidying up moment of madness & I had up to 3 copies of the same 12". It's nice & easy to buy obscure stuff from iTunes which for me is a great benefit.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think he's got a point to be honest.

Once upon a time bands got noticed if they put together a good demo album and then the record companies worked with them to polish it into a final product. Since iTunes came along it's all more single track driven.

Albums used to be musical journey. Albums will soon be a thing of the past.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I think he's got a point to be honest.

Once upon a time bands got noticed if they put together a good demo album and then the record companies worked with them to polish it into a final product. Since iTunes came along it's all more single track driven.

Albums used to be musical journey. Albums will soon be a thing of the past.
    Downloads didn't kill that, the constant loss of venues, disco, Karaoke and the globalisation of Record Companies are responsible. Downloads have actually thrown performers and writers a lifeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast