Close

Thread: Footy Fans WTF

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Footy Fans WTF

Ok chaps as a few of you know I live in Yorkshire born and bred when I was growing up a long time ago the teams supported at school were the Mighty Leeds and Man U

Now here's the thing and I blame the media for this.

I'm off on a stagger to Barcelona next Friday there are 6 of us and we are off to see Barca play Almeria and I thought... I wonder who supports who in England?

Me ..Leeds fan all my life, Leeds won the League Cup the day I was born in 1968 and my Uncle played for them in the heyday Paul Madeley so obviously there's me!

Brother in Law born in Highbury and a Gooner...fair enough..

The rest is a mystery:

3 from Harrogate support Liverpool 2 (brothers) have an Irish mother does that qualify?

The other is Sri Lankan and born London...guess who he supports Man U!

My personal opinion is that back in the day not much media or TV you supported either who your father supported or who was local. These days do you think that media has swayed the majority from children to support the team that is successful. Don't get me wrong I love to see British teams doing well in Europe even Man U ( I feel dirty now)!

My son classic example in his class of around 12 boys 3 are Leeds fans 2 Liverpool and 7 are Man U fans, I blame the parents! Joking really...or am I?

Anyway thoughts on the now global game....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Footy Fans WTF

As an Irish man with no links to England what so ever ( Family Friends etc etc....) I was brought up to support Chelsea it was drilled into me and the brothers head at a very early age by my dad who is a Chelsea fanatic . As for media coverage my whole family support Chelsea but the younger brother who is 10 years younger loved watching Paul McGrath and mark hughes playing for utd and ever from it he started to support them I don't think my dad has ever forgave him. If it hadn't been for the media I think he would have supported Chelsea.
    Last edited by bobo06; 31st March 2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

of course the media sways it, the media controls the world nowadays mate, im like you i supported my local team always have always will I cant help if if they became a global phenomonem and had so much success, I also made sure I took both my kids to as many games as I could when young, you know make a spectacle of the whole thing. That way you can kind of make sure they follow the same team Its the creation of superstars that do it for kids I think.

You ask any kid why he likes Real Madrid and he's likely to shout Ronaldo or Messi if you ask about Barca. It was Beckham with Utd that did it for a lot of kids. Id even go as far as to say David Beckham is in a very large part responsible for the global growth of Man Utd in the media.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its all about supporting who your dad supports. Its like carrying the family name on.

My gfs brother said he was going to put my 1 year old in a liverpool top.
    When they seen how angry that suggestion made me, my gf started to wind me up.

Then i told him id put it on as a nappy and when hes shit all over it, ill send it back to germany in the post. Since then its gone all quite. My lad now sees the united badge and wants to kiss it. PROUD DAD
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We all know what kissing the badge means in football these days FUCKALL!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If there were rules you'd either have to follow your dad or suppport your nearest local team and a have a fave big team perhaps.

I was brought up a United fan and went to loads of games when i was younger. Dad used to stand in the 50's, 60's and 70's at the stretford end, then got a season ticket etc.

Now i live down south, and made sure my lad supported united but i wouldn't object at all if he had chosen to support Hemel town or Watford but not Arsenal or Chelsea.

It's all good fun now though, it'll never go back to the way it was because of the global media coverage. I mean when i was younger, you only saw eurpoean teams every so often in the European cup, eg Grasshoppers, Ajax, Barca. Then C4 brouhgt us italian footy and it's just gone on from there.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    Its all about supporting who your dad supports. Its like carrying the family name on.
    My dad supports Everton but when i was a kid at the age of starting to show an interest in football my dad was playing himself in amateur league so never got the chance to take me to Goodison before my cousin who was and still is a season ticket holder at Anfield asked me to go with him in the days when you could just turn up early with your £2.00 and get into any game.

As lighty says when your a kid going the match it's awe inspiring and from then on i supported Liverpool even though for a spell we used to go to everton and liverpool on alternate weekends.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Chesser, not wanting to piss on your bonfie me old mate, mucker and wingman... but were you not born in wakefield...

http://www.wakefieldfc.com/

and were your kids not born in harrogate??

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been a Villa fan since birth, as was my dad and his dad before, from a locality point of view Villa, Blues, West Brom & Wolves are all very close.

Suprising how many Liverpool fans I know though, glory chasers from the 1980's when we were kids. They've been replaced now though & unless they follow their parents kids tend to follow Man U Chelsea or Arsenal for the same reasons.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnerfreak View Post
    Chesser, not wanting to piss on your bonfie me old mate, mucker and wingman... but were you not born in wakefield...

OUSTED

Born and bread in Leeds (East of the City) I have always followed my local teams in both football and rugby. I have tried to spur on my brood to follow my likenings , but its down to them. There is alot of media hype over the big names in the sport. but i dont give a flying f+ck. I will always support local talent in my neck of the woods

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnerfreak View Post

Yes yes and yes but I'm talking about Professional Clubs...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm from Birmingham and support Villa, most of my family are Villa or Blues. I do have a cousin who now lives in Redditch and is a Man U fan, he has th Man U badge tattooed on his back and has only known them to be successful. The moral of this is don't move to Redditch.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    OUSTED

Born and bread in Leeds (East of the City) I have always followed my local teams in both football and rugby. I have tried to spur on my brood to follow my likenings , but its down to them. There is alot of media hype over the big names in the sport. but i dont give a flying f+ck. I will always support local talent in my neck of the woods
    Something about your post promoted me to read it in a broad Yorkshire accent Like the Guy off the plus net adverts lol

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Born in Wolverhampton raised in Dudley, most of the Family support Wolves so there was never an option of supporting anyone else, my lad is a wanderer and the one on the way will be a wanderer ( just bought the mini kit for when he/she appears)

Sent From TapaTalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    Born in Wolverhampton raised in Dudley, most of the Family support Wolves so there was never an option of supporting anyone else, my lad is a wanderer and the one on the way will be a wanderer ( just bought the mini kit for when he/she appears)

Sent From TapaTalk
    If it's a boy m8, I think you should call him William Bernard Aaron.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roty View Post
    If it's a boy m8, I think you should call him William Bernard Aaron.
    Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen lol, Giving a child those initials is tantamount to child abuse

Sent From TapaTalk