Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Record 5p rise in price of a first-class stamp

Higher UK postage prices have come into force - with a first-class stamp now costing 46p.

This is a record 5p rise in the cost of sending standard letters weighing up to 100g by first-class post.

Royal Mail has also increased the cost of a second-class stamp by 4p to 36p. A first-class, large letter stamp has risen by 9p to 75p, and by 7p to 58p for second-class mail.

A watchdog described the inflation-busting rise as "disappointing".

The rise in the price of a first-class stamp is a record in cash terms

Spending

The average UK household spends around 60p a week on stamps, according to Royal Mail. These price rises would add 6p to this amount, it said.

However, in cash terms, the 5p rise is the highest recorded for first-class stamps.

Regulator Postcomm gave permission for the increase in November, and the plans were announced by Royal Mail a month later.

Price increases in full

• Standard letters: 1st-class up 5p to 46p; 2nd-class up 4p to 36p
    • Large letters: 1st-class up 9p to 75p, 2nd-class up 7p to 58p
    • Franked mail: 1st-class up 3p to 39p, 2nd-class up 3p to 28p
    • Parcels: below 2kg unchanged, above 2kg up 8%
    • Special deliveries minimum up 40p to £5.45

Postcomm said the changes would help Royal Mail to fund its modernisation programme and help safeguard the one-price-goes-anywhere universal service in the UK.

Moya Greene, of Royal Mail, said that the decision had not been taken lightly.

"We have thought carefully about these increases as we are conscious of the difficult economic circumstances our customers are facing," she said.

"No-one likes to pay more and we regret having had to take these tough decisions on pricing. After these increases, we will continue providing value for money as our prices will still be among the lowest in Europe.

"We are investing heavily to modernise our operations, which is all about providing our customers with the services they need in today's open, highly competitive postal marketplace.

"With the sharp declines in mail volume, our revenues are falling. That means if we do not generate more income, we will simply not be able to keep funding our six-days-a-week collection, sorting, transport and delivery operation to the UK's 28 million homes and businesses."

Competition

Philip Cullum, of watchdog Consumer Focus, said people would be extremely disappointed by the latest rise in prices above inflation.

"Royal Mail needs to modernise but customers are being asked to pick up the tab. In return, they will expect to see a far more efficient, effective and competitive service," he said.

Hosiery business UK Tights uses Royal Mail to send its orders to customers.

"This cost increase as well as the VAT increase will have a direct effect on our profitability. For us there is no real alternative to Royal Mail as we send low-cost small packets," said Jonathan Barber, who set up the business with his wife Dawn.

"Royal Mail has no competition in this market sector. We feel this needs to change."

Source

This is a complete and utter fucking piss take and they have been letting the cunts get away with it for years.
    • Special deliveries minimum up 40p to £5.45 - they only just put VAT on Specials as well

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Record 5p rise in price of a first-class stamp

It's a piss take really.
    It's also rubbish when they say mail volumes are down, they just changed the way they count post.
    With the huge amount of mail generated by sites like eBay, they have to be talking complete nonsense!
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"With the sharp declines in mail volume, our revenues are falling. That means if we do not generate more income, we will simply not be able to keep funding our six-days-a-week collection, sorting, transport and delivery operation to the UK's 28 million homes and businesses."

There volumes aren't going to increase so does that mean they just plan of ramping the cost each year to make up the difference? They've been banging the investing in modernisation drum as the reason for increases for the last few years but a 12% rise on a 1st class stamp is a joke. I'm glad more and more of my office paperwork is electronic.

They can shove the smartstamp renewal up their arse when it comes around in a few months as well. £60 to be able to print stamps but no discount on the cost per stamp unlike franking which is slightly cheaper.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cunts increase once then increased again for "recalculation" on post by size, this stuck about 60p on a recorded the other year after the increase.

See people crawling out the woodwork to slag off the workers in any Royal Mail strikes without knowing details yet the same people keep quiet when they strip the services while increasing prices way above inflation year on year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    It's a piss take really.
    It's also rubbish when they say mail volumes are down, they just changed the way they count post.
    With the huge amount of mail generated by sites like eBay, they have to be talking complete nonsense!
    Probably not, business to business post has been dramatically reduced by email or online transmission over the last few years. I probably spend a 10th of what it was 10 years ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just posted a package: almost a ten percent increase in price. Not on really.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    Probably not, business to business post has been dramatically reduced by email or online transmission over the last few years. I probably spend a 10th of what it was 10 years ago.
    I don't agree. A lot of firms still generate huge amounts of post.
    I work in the legal sector, and everything has to be done via the post.
    Yes people will send via email, but it's always backed up with a hard copy in the mail.
    And with the amount of people selling stuff on eBay it has only got to have increased.
    Royal Mail changed the way they calculate how much mail goes through the system a few years back.
    You speak to any long-term postman and they will tell you the amount they deliver has gone up.
    Think about all the flyers they are paid to distribute, I bet they don't get counted as mail passing through the system.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree a lot do still generate a lot of post and things have to be sent on paper - legal being one of them. I'm an accountant and traditionally we had to send a lot of mail, with a fair chunk by recorded methods but over the last few years HMRC have moved their systems over to online filing.

Junk mail has probably increased but whats the cost, around 3p per leaflet? Ebay will also have had a positive effect but what % of ebay sales are delivered via RM? On the negative how many other businesses have moved on to electronic distribution of invoices, statements, remittance advices etc whether by email or EDI. Most bus to bus payments are now made online - no posting of cheques. Business to Consumer has gone the same way by charging if you want a paper invoice (Virgin) or creating online only tariffs (Utility companies) to steer people away from traditional methods.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is 2006 just after their huge increase for "re-calculation" of postal prices.

What I would be interested in is how the UK comes out compared to comparable services in the rest of the world, our piss arse useless corrupt media has only gone as far as saying "Oh 5p on a first class stamp that's a lot" lets interview a few dead brains on the street see if they know how much a first class stamp is.

What really needs looking at and working out is how much the prices have increased pre the 2006 "re-calculation" and how much we are paying compared to the rest of the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Karma Level

Since when did stamps stop declaring their monetary value and instead just state 1st or 2nd class? Because the obvious thing to do would be to stockpile stamps at today's prices in the absolute certainty that they will only go up in value.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Since when did stamps stop declaring their monetary value and instead just state 1st or 2nd class? Because the obvious thing to do would be to stockpile stamps at today's prices in the absolute certainty that they will only go up in value.
    As long as I can remember they have just said 1st or 2nd and people do stockpile them I used to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Cunts increase once then increased again for "recalculation" on post by size, this stuck about 60p on a recorded the other year after the increase.

See people crawling out the woodwork to slag off the workers in any Royal Mail strikes without knowing details yet the same people keep quiet when they strip the services while increasing prices way above inflation year on year.
    The cunts are just trying to get the books straight before the Tories flog it off.

Makes it more sellable.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Just posted a package: almost a ten percent increase in price. Not on really.
    How much was it and how far was it going? I see prices on relatively large parcels for a couple of quid. I've yet to see any courier who can beat that price.

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I don't agree. A lot of firms still generate huge amounts of post.
    I work in the legal sector, and everything has to be done via the post.
    Yes people will send via email, but it's always backed up with a hard copy in the mail.
    And with the amount of people selling stuff on eBay it has only got to have increased.
    Royal Mail changed the way they calculate how much mail goes through the system a few years back.
    You speak to any long-term postman and they will tell you the amount they deliver has gone up.
    Think about all the flyers they are paid to distribute, I bet they don't get counted as mail passing through the system.
    Spot on mate. They used to weigh the boxes of mail to estimate to total content of letters. Then they said they were going to assume there where 250 letters per box. Then, for no reason, they decided there were just over 200 letters per box of mail. A recent audit at an office done for the CWU showed an average of 300 letters per box, lol.

They also never mention the amount of "flats" that are delivered (IE magazines, A4 letters, business newspapers etc...)

Like you mention, they also don't mention the door to door items (the leaflets we get).

We used to get paid per item, 1.5p being the lowest, up to 6 pence in special circumstances (election material), which could add up to £40 a week. They then decided, as part of the "modernisation agreement" that we should receive a flat weekly payment for these items, regardless of how many drops you have on a round, regardless of how many leaflets there are. The amount used to be capped at 3 leaflets per week (not 3 leaflets obviously, three types of leaflets) but this cap has since been lifted to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    This is 2006 just after their huge increase for "re-calculation" of postal prices.

What I would be interested in is how the UK comes out compared to comparable services in the rest of the world, our piss arse useless corrupt media has only gone as far as saying "Oh 5p on a first class stamp that's a lot" lets interview a few dead brains on the street see if they know how much a first class stamp is.

What really needs looking at and working out is how much the prices have increased pre the 2006 "re-calculation" and how much we are paying compared to the rest of the world.
    Here's a link to Deutsche posts prices, and here's a link to La Post. As you can see, I think Royal Mail are still excellent value for money, and I'm not sure whether or no Deutsche post or La poste offers a universal service agreement (the agreement that we'll deliver to EVERY address within the UK, whether it be a special delivery or a pizza hut voucher)

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    The cunts are just trying to get the books straight before the Tories flog it off.

Makes it more sellable.
    'fraid so.They're gonna cut staff and services to reveal a massive profit. A shame, and a sham.

We've just been told our employee share scheme is now worthless. It's no wonder so many posties are pissed off!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Blame Postcomm..If they didnt foolishy open the entire market and then cap the feeble amount on what RM can charges competitors for processing their mail, the majority of price increases would never have happened.

Its not all Postcomms fault though, Management is another huge. RM spent a stupid amount of money on renaming their business to Consignia (Remember that?) and then reverted back to the RM name when they realised it would cost to much to repaint all the cars/vans/trucks/plane/train lol

Either way all posties are fucked..it'll only get worse once it gets privatized.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

just get my mail to me on time and let the mail i post get there on time , and leave all the shit like "flats" and advertising crap in your bag , cos if it dont have my adress on .... it dont belong to me and i didnt ask for it
    Last edited by kracken; 4th April 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: updated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    We've just been told our employee share scheme is now worthless. It's no wonder so many posties are pissed off!
    Did you keep your cert? Mine got put into spliffs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kracken View Post
    just get my mail to me on time and let the mail i post get there on time , and leave all the shit like "flats" and advertising crap in your bag , cos if it dont have my adress on .... it dont belong to me and i didnt ask for it
    Flats do have your address on. Anything A4 sized or bigger. Holiday catalogues, makro mail etc...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Flats do have your address on. Anything A4 sized or bigger. Holiday catalogues, makro mail etc...
    original post edited ... but i dont mind paying more if they keep the unadressed crap out my letterbox and it will give less to carry for the postal workers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

how much do they spend on those bloody red rubber bands a year and are they really needed ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ouch.

This won't hurt individuals all that much I don't imagine but it's really gonna hurt small companies sending small items. 15% on large letters (which is really a small packet) is a hefty increase and it's not something that can easily be passed on to the customer as people expect dirt cheap postage in this country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast