Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New nintendo console on the horizon

http://uk.gizmodo.com/5792174/new-ni...ox-360-and-ps3

Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo. Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.
    We've asked Nintendo for comment and will let you know if they shock us and spill the beans. Update: Nintendo responded to our inquiry with a standard "Nintendo does not comment on rumor or speculation".
    E3 kicks off on June 7, though Nintendo's E3 press conference may occur the day before, if tradition holds.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New nintendo console on the horizon

Colour me excited.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

gossip Re: New nintendo console on the horizon

Here are the bullet points. Most of them have already been reported by other sites, but here goes:
    • The console is codenamed “Project Café”
    • Will be introduced at E3 2011
    • Architecture is very similar to the Xbox 360; the Café is a bit more powerful than the 360
    • Porting current Xbox 360 titles to the Café should be very easy
    • Should be retro-compatible with GameCube and Wii games, and support all Wii peripherals
    • Specs : CPU is custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU should be an ATI from the R700 family, with a shader unit at version 4.1. Ram should be at least 512 Mb.
    • The controller is a touch tablet, with moderate graphic output (appears to be sub-HD, so nothing comparable to an Ipad, for example.)
    • Controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.
    • Should be released in June of 2012 (for Japan ?), and holiday season (in the West ?)
    • There is another big surprise they can’t talk about just yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I heard about that controller rumour the other day. Wouldn't fancy buying 4 of them.

If it's only slightly more powerful than 360 then they need to up there game. What's the point in releasing something that is comparable to consoles that are at the end of their cycle.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    I heard about that controller rumour the other day. Wouldn't fancy buying 4 of them.

If it's only slightly more powerful than 360 then they need to up there game. What's the point in releasing something that is comparable to consoles that are at the end of their cycle.
    Absolutely. Retarded decision!

Like you say, multiplayer will be expensive, youve got to be looking at a ton each for the controllers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It wouldn't be the price that concerned me as i can see them being about £40,it'd more be the worry of the durability of the screen in my house with four kids given the amount of times i hear controllers bouncing off the floor.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Didn't they do exactly the same this generation, and completely pissed all over the competition sales wise?

Nintendo have never been about being cutting edge graphics, they're in a position where they need to make a profit on the hardware and competing with MS and Sony on that level just isn't an option, or required for their target market.

I'm very surprised they are first out the blocks with this announcement, usually they're the last to show their cards.

I personally cant wait to see it, I cant say the wii has blown me away but then neither has anything since I got FF7 on my PS1. It will be interesting to see how this tablet thing works, sounds a bit ridiculous, just like the wii remote did

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    Didn't they do exactly the same this generation, and completely pissed all over the competition sales wise?
    At the expense of the hardcore gamer. The only reason it sold well was non gamers started to want one (my mum and sister even got one for wii fit and sports). Fair play to them but the handful of worth having games has left me cold with Nintendo. I want leading edge graphics, I want multiplayer, I want a normal pad. The question is what will they deliver?

Thanks
    Karma Level

people keep saying "at the cost of the hardcore gamer" but did they have that market to lose with the cube? I don't think so. If anything they have gained a larger mature market than they have ever had, along with a massive amount of new gamers, be that kids or OAPs.
    It all depends how you class the hardcore gamer really. What exactly is a hardcore gamer anyway? I don't see many of the gibbering fucktards on xbox live as hardcore myself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The cube was fairly poor as well with only a few worth having games although there were more titles that interested me including some third party games.

I would say a hardcore gamer is somebody whos main hobby is gaming ie not casual. The majority of games available on the wii are casual pick up and play poor quality titles. Dont get me wrong there has been some brilliant titles but just not enough to justify it as a great console. I cant see myself wanting to emulate any of the games in the future other than mario or zelda.

My favourite console of all time was easily the snes but each console since other than the DS has not lived up to my expectations.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post

Nintendo have never been about being cutting edge graphics, they're in a position where they need to make a profit on the hardware and competing with MS and Sony on that level just isn't an option, or required for their target market.

I'm very surprised they are first out the blocks with this announcement, usually they're the last to show their cards.

I personally cant wait to see it, I cant say the wii has blown me away but then neither has anything since I got FF7 on my PS1. It will be interesting to see how this tablet thing works, sounds a bit ridiculous, just like the wii remote did
    FF7, what a game that was, might have to dig my ps2 out and grab a copy of it off ebay and write off a few weeks of my life

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with SiE. The only thing I played a lot of on the Cube was Resi Evil 4, and the same on the Wii apart from Wii Sports.

The kid-friendly approach has lost Nintendo all of my interest. I'm not interested in games that capture your movement or use it to control the character, they just aren't accurate enough.

I sold my wii shortly after getting one, same with the DS, and played my mates Kinnect and thought it was really naff too. Those type of controllers only work with simple games in my opinion.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

i thought that was something else with the same name till i saw the logo in the lower right. I guess thats a pic of the dev kit, although dev kits and retail units usually have a similar design, you cant really gleam much from that. Sounds very interesting from the shpeel though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Similar looking image from a 'leak' a few days ago

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nintendo confirms next Wii coming in 2012, will preview it at E3

By Vlad Savov posted Apr 25th 2011 3:35AM
    Breaking News

Nintendo has just announced it plans to introduce a successor to its Wii console next year, a "playable model" of which will be shown off at the E3 gaming expo in Los Angeles coming up on June 7th. No details are available as to how the next Wii will improve on the first one, though we imagine Nintendo will be happy if it simply matches the success of its current-gen home entertainer -- the brief note publicizing the new roadmap also comes with a total of Wii sales accumulated between its launch in '06 and the end of last month: 86.01 million. That's said to be on a "consolidated shipment basis," so maybe Nintendo is mixing its definitions of sales and shipments the way Sony likes to, but it's a mighty big number either way. Bring on E3, we say!

April 25, 2011

To whom it may concern:

Re: Wii's Successor System

Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.

Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/n...view-it-at-e3/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not all dev kits are similar to the retail counterpart, the Wii SDK for example (the one that we use at Legendo) is fuckin' ugly. It's like an old C.B power supply.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's where I'd go if I was Nintendo I'd make a games unit with all the media playback of a Revo
    Last edited by steve10574; 26th April 2011 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah for sure. Ms and Sony will never do it because if their zune and lovefilm tie ins. Make a console that plays mkv well and has an xbmc style ui and they would be laughing

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

If anything has been learned from this generation (and previous) if you want to win people over you need to give a homebrew community. Give us hardware that allows us to run virtualisation off a dual boot and it's all won. Sony got spanked and one of the biggest things that made this happen was whe. They pissed off the homebrew community by (a) locking shit down too much and (b) taking Linux away. I will no doubt get all the next gen consoles as I'm a mug foe this shit but with ninty announcing this so early the ps4 and next xbox will be MUCH more powerful gfx and sound wise but one thing I've learned thanks to wii ware, psn and xbox arcade is that a £5 or £10 game can be just as much fun as a £50 one. Mastertronic ftw!!! Indie devs rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast