Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default China bans time travel

By Richard Hartley-parkinson
    Last updated at 2:19 PM on 15th April 2011

Shows that feature time travel have been effectively banned by the Chinese government after it issued new rules for TV and film directors.

In the latest crackdown on dissent, authorities want its citizens to uphold the country's values and not promote anything that would re-write history.
    Chinese censors issued guidance to the film and television industry, which producers would be unwise to ignore if they want to stay on air.

'Back to the Present': Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox appearing in Back to the Future which is now banned in China

Time travel is on the list of activities that have been banned for scriptwriters and directors since March 31 that includes reincarnation and feudal superstitions.
    The guidance is for makers of TV programmes from the State Administration of Radio Film and Television (SARFT) that would make films like Back to the Future and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure contraband material.

Outlining the reason for it's decision to ban time travel, the Chinese government said: 'Producers and writers are treating serious history in a frivolous way, which should by no means be encouraged anymore.'
    FILMS BANNED IN CHINA

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Back to the Future
    The Time Traveller’s Wife
    12 monkeys
    All the Star Trek films
    All the Terminator films
    Planet of the Apes
    The Butterfly Effect
    Austin Powers
    A Christmas Carol

It added that the ban applies to films that contain 'fantasy, time-travel, random compilations of mythical stories, bizarre plots, absurd techniques, even propagating feudal superstitions, fatalism and reincarnation, ambiguous moral lessons, and even a lack of positive thinking.'
    'The government says TV dramas shouldn't have characters that travel back in time and rewrite history,' said CNN's Eunice Yoon.
    'They also say that myth, superstitions and reincarnation are all questionable.'
    It also means that TV series like Dr Who, Star Trek and the X-Files are now banned along with the film Terminator.
    The new ruling comes as the Communist party (CPC) prepares for its 90th anniversary in power, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

SARFT issued the guidance telling film makers they must 'Follow the central spirit of the CPC to celebrate its 90th anniversary on television.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: If it was remade in China cinemagoers would see the pair spend 90 minutes in a phone booth not doing very much

'All levels should actively prepare to launch vivid reproductions of the Chinese revolution, the nation’s construction and its reform and opening up.'
    The film and television arm of the government reports directly to China's cabinet, the State Council.
    It has the power to pull the plug on any Chinese film or television series whenever and wherever it wishes.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: China bans time travel

And there was I thinking someone must have come back in time to warn them of a uprising because of time travel.

But no just a silly rule to make them more controlled, think America should go and liberate them!
    Opps sorry no oil guess they won't.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

But how will they be warned about the Morlocks?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

erm does anyone else think these people have actually just lost the plot? i hope someone has told them that time travels isnt possible and that no ones going to be re-writing history so they shouldnt be panicking!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    erm does anyone else think these people have actually just lost the plot? i hope someone has told them that time travels isnt possible and that no ones going to be re-writing history so they shouldnt be panicking!
    That's not what the information is saying.
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    That's not what the information is saying.
    yes i know but banning it from tv and film for the reasons they have stated is just as fucked
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As long as they don't incorrectly ban Highlander, too often the description in the TV guide mentions Time Travel. Which anyone who has seen the film knows is untrue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post

I wouldn't want that cunt on the left on my screen either.
    It looks like a young GAY Michael Schumacher with a fucked up Frisure !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well in theory if it is possible to travel back in time and change the future then someone in many, many years in the future has already done so!

Therefore if time travel is possible then our current history is already affected by time travelers.

Therefore if China is worried that time travel maybe possible AND they like the way things are - then you can only conclude that their history it is already the result of the meddling time travelers!

If China conclude that their history is not the result of time traveling then that in itself is indicating time traveling is impossible.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Well in theory if it is possible to travel back in time and change the future then someone in many, many years in the future has already done so!
    As I understand it, time travel is possible but only within the time period where a "time machine" exists.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    As I understand it, time travel is possible but only within the time period where a "time machine" exists.
    That indeed is another theory, but little more. However, in the context of this story if that method of time travel was true it would also be irrelevant to China's hissy fit with Bill and Ted!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You can time travel!
    Build a space ship that can go three times the speed of light then visit a star come back to earth and the earth would of aged hundreds of thousand years and your be only thirty years older.
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    You can time travel!
    Build a space ship that can go three times the speed of light then visit a star come back to earth and the earth would of aged hundreds of thousand years and your be only thirty years older.
    I think modern science is a little stuck on the first part.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hawkings has theorised that traveling in to the past is impossible due to these paradoxs. Only time travel in to the future would be possible so they now look like fools