Close

Thread: CPU overheating

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default CPU overheating

Hi, I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200 processor, with a original AMD fan and heatsink. The pc randomly cuts out with heavy CPU use so I did mem test and ram is fine, I also fully cleaned the 4 fans on the case, I cleaned the heatsink and cpu fan, regreased the CPU with the correct compound so the pc is as good as new. Still getting cutoffs. I have been watching the CPU temp rise with Aida and I reckon its shutting off at around 70c. The CPU fan is spinning at 3000rpm. I have set it in the bios so its on contant 3000 rpm speed.
    It has to be a CPU issue as the pc only cuts out when the CPU gets hot, I cant understand why suddeny the CPU is overheating if the fan is spinning ok, its been fine for 2 years. I have also replaced power supply with a spare one I had?

Any tips please

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CPU overheating

Does your ram also get hot? I had loads of issues with some crucial ram that needed a little extra cooling

Thanks
    Karma Level

Make sure you don't put too much thermal paste on there. You only need to use a tiny amount. Putting on too much reduces the effectiveness of the heat-sink.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for replies, firstly how do you test temp of ram? Ive never seen a program that can do that. The temperature of the unit is 37c so that seems ok.
    There is a small amount of paste on the cpu. I checked the temp of cpu last night and it was slowly rising, at one point one core was 90c. The main part of the cpu was 80c and rising, i didnt wait for it to cut out but i am sure it would have.
    I checked on the AMD site and the correct temp of my CPU should be 70c. It seems if the processor is pushed i cannot stop the temp rise past the limit. I thiink i might have to buy a new heatsink and fan and take it from there

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok update on the CPU, removed the CPU from the mobo and gave it a good clean as there was thermal paste on the sides of it. The CPU now is re-seated on the motherboard and I applied an even thinner layer of thermal compound this time, heatsink and fan back on and after testing the CPU at max, the hottest I can get it is 62c (each core). Also the 2 cores are a lot more level, before there was as much as 12c difference.
    The pc has not cut off at all so far

Thanks for replies
    bub